1993 Episode Discussion

Dan F

I think this is the first time St. Pippa's halo really slips.

On watching the early years back it's just reiterated to me that Pippa is a far more flawed character than a lot of people seem to remember her. I think the 'saint' image was established after she left due to her return visits and flashbacks, conversations Sally had with Flynn etc. I enjoy watching how she puts her foot in it every so often and comes across as hypocritical from time to time. Michael has been the same and it's frustrating at the same time as entertaining.

I do remember talking to someone once and H&A came up in conversation, and they mentioned how they couldn't stand that "bloody perfect mother" that used to be on the show. I kept quiet about the fact I'd actually been emailing Debra that very morning...

Just one of the many good things about the repeats, learning new things about the characters everyone thought they knew so well.

It's true, but it's the same with most things in life, people do tend to look back and just remember the extremes and not the times in-between. Everyone remembered Pippa shutting down after Tom's death and Michael's death for example, they remember her really good times as she cracked a tough kid's shell or gave sage advice, but the times when she was just a human getting on with life and got frustrated with her family as any mother would mainly sit in the background of our memories.

That said, she was a bit of a wonder mum despite her flaws, baking for the diner, running the caravan park, the house, the kiosk etc... Although those kids had to work hard as well with their chores, kiosk shifts and being sent to the store every five minutes for something Pippa needed.

I definitely feel sorry for Adam throughout all of this. Yes it was reckless but it was an accident and he's killed one of his closest friends, I think the guilt is punishment enough without having everyone else hate him. There's very little understanding coming from anyone and I think it's really sad because Adam's by and large a decent guy.

I definitely feel sorry for Adam throughout all of this. Yes it was reckless but it was an accident and he's killed one of his closest friends, I think the guilt is punishment enough without having everyone else hate him. There's very little understanding coming from anyone and I think it's really sad because Adam's by and large a decent guy.

I agree as after all Adam was close friends with Bobby for many years!

Sadly though the law may not be on Adam's side as reckless driving (whether it was an accident or not) can constitute criminal liability if he's been found to be reckless in the first place and with a death involved it's a much more serious matter now.

Archived