1993 Episode Discussion

Dan F

When Tug burned his school tie I thought "finally and end to Tug leaving and returning to school", only I've just remembered he must go back because

there is a storyline I think in 1994 where he has a relationship with a teacher while he is a student

so it looks like the merry-go-round isn't finished yet.

Sarah feeling plain next to Angel is reminiscent of Karen's jealousy of Sophie, and the upcoming storyline with Sarah and

Nathan

is of course like Karen and Revhead. I wonder if the writers will recognise this pattern and have someone, probably Alf, comment about it. I can hear him now ranting now that he's not going to see Sarah make the same mistakes as Karen.

How does Sarah (coming from a background where Mathew Thompson made her swear to virginity before marriage) suddenly lose that trait all of a sudden and be so easily willing to open her legs to Nathan? Is this a goof-up on the writer's part or what? And why does Sarah continue to regard Nathan in a positive light so long after his arrest??

Every time i see Duncan i wish Morag took him away because i just think of him in the future and what a pain he is.

That's next time she comes back.

Yes, Fin's still in school, she was chatting about homework to Sally a couple of weeks back.I've only seen 1331, which was okay, with Ailsa getting paranoid and falling flat on her face, Adam seeming more integrated into the community (although I seem to remember the trial ends with a huge step back) and Shane's blown-out at Don, which may not have been his place but someone had to say something.But anyway, conversation seems to be drifting towards 1994 so I thought I'd chip in my two pen'orth.

Yes, Tug goes back to school for a bit the following year, after it comes out about him being dyslexic.

Karen and Revhead does get brought up quite a bit once Sarah starts hanging around Nathan: I seem to remember it's actually Ailsa who has the most direct references, while Alf talks about it in general terms.Does Sarah actually sleep with Nathan?I couldn't say for certain either way, although if you strapped me down and demanded an answer I think I'd lean towards "No." Could be wrong, see when we get there.And someone might now point me towards a clip that proves I'm wrong...Anyway, as far as I recall the only thing she did "wrong" was dating Nathan behind Alf and Ailsa's backs.Once she found out Nathan was up to his old trick again, she finished with him completely.

Made it up to 1335.I have to say that, like Laura, Kevin is a character that I remember perfectly...except I've no idea how his storyline ends.The last thing I remembered about him was the incident at the restaurant so it'll be a surprise to see how this plays out.I suspect Lenny's money difficulties might come into play.

It's hard to know what to make of Sarah's five minute makeover, although it doesn't help that it wasn't that dissimilar to the stuff that she was wearing a week or two earlier and you get the feeling she was suddenly stuck in buttoned up to the chin tops for a couple of episodes to provide a contrast.(Heck, she had a bikini scene not too long ago!)Alf's "Be yourself" speech isn't entirely without merit, although given that he'd spent the rest of the episode making snide comments and basically saying she looked like a tart, it's hard not to suspect he switched to emotional manipulation when bullying didn't work.End result: Sarah ends up with even lower self-esteem, thinking that even when she tries to look attractive people still laugh at her.Nice one, Alf.(Of course, the whole thing's Hollywood Homely: They've cast an actress most straight teenage boys would give their right arm to date as Sarah and expected us to see her as "the plain one" because she wears a pullover.)

I remember being relieved at Ailsa calling a truce with Morag first time round despite knowing she was right to be suspicious, simply to have a rest from the constant rants.Of course, immediately after this we're treated to the first sign of Morag using scare tactics to make Sam do what she wants, made all the more insidious by the fact that he doesn't even realise she's scaring him because it's delivered in such a calm and reasonable manner.(Again, the underscore doesn't fit the scene, in what's either deliberate irony or someone not paying attention.)

More of Sally being sweet with Adam, who is very hard not to feel sorry for simply because he's so downtrodden.I'm glad he's got Pippa there with him at court, along with Nick and Luke, and looking forward to seeing it play out.

I'm just glad Greg left when he did because he would have probably have had to be restrained by Baliffs during court proceedings, dissolving the last grain of sympathy any fan may have for him.

1335 THREW away a perfect chance to address Adam's fate on two filler subplots (Shane/Kevin and Luke/Roxy/Beds) that should really be in a Tuesday or Wednesday ep. Okay they wanted to build suspense but they could have at least let ep finish on the actual sentencing?

Sarah was smoking in that ep, better looking than Angel (who in all fairness only really herself down with the garish tights that didn't go well with her midriff top). Party-Pooper Alf struck again.

Tug's sympathy jar is almost empty, a couple more slapdowns before it's full again.

And I was rooting for Shane (not so much in his outburst that made him look even more immature than Sam) but there was a lot of truth in what he was saying, Don was letting Sam take the Mick. Even Angel, who has hardly been home as of late (or at least in scenes with Nick, Shane or Don) could have probably seen it. Didn't know whether Shane labelled Sam a little turd (not wrong if he did) or Turkey but somebody told me it was the latter and either acceptable. It just me think of a storyline on Degrassi Junior High where one of the male leads, a guy named Wheels, continuously hid behind his parents death as an excuse for being a prat and continued to do so into High School before his eventual downfall in a spin-off TV movie. I know Sam's only a child but....

Morag playing the puppet master... intriguing.

Irene's back! Hopefully this time for good?

And Fin as always, jumping to the wrong conclusion about her mum. Geez, how about giving her the benefit of the doubt? This is what I don't like about Fin when it comes to her mother.

I think so, yes. This is her first episode as a permanent part of Home And Away, and she has been there in the 21 years since.

I smell something off not far behind........fortunately that smell won't be around long, but the long Christmas break made this smell seem to last a whole lot longer.....

Archived