1993 Episode Discussion

Dan F

so Bobby's death...

While it was very sad it was also an anticlimax (like other things in the early years, for example Sophie's baby storyline for example). The episodes before it were difficult to watch with Bobby and Greg planning a future and another child etc. I bet the writers did that to make it worse for the viewers.

However it focused on Greg too much. I would have liked to seen the reaction of you know SALLY!!!! and to see the true impact of Pippa and Alisa. While Fisher was good it was still annoying to watch Greg acting like this!!

I suppose in the wake of Dale earlier in the year they didn't want another grief filled Pippa storyline.

I was actually just watching that back today and it's amazing how much time they gave Dale's death onscreen, it just allowed it to breathe. It was three episodes really - the build-up, the death and then after the hospital all set on the same day.

i realised yesterday that poor Donald ended up losing 3 children. first allan then bobby then byron. geez what rotten luck. also i always wondered why sam called him uncle donald. he was technically more a grandfather.

anyway its strange seeing morag back in when she was so mean but i do miss her these days.

I always wondered why sam called him uncle donald. he was technically more a grandfather.

You're correct but it's no different to the way Martha use to refer to Morag as 'Aunty Morag' as well even though it was her great aunt instead but Morag said being referred to 'aunty' was better than being referred to as 'great aunt' as it made her feel older being called 'great aunt'.

Maybe using the words 'uncle' or 'aunty' makes the character feel younger rather than referring to them by their actual relation to another person but that's just a guess on my behalf.

I've been watching currently on television and catching up on 1993 and a bit of trivia for everyone - in Episode 1214, a scene featuring Roxanne, Tug and Sarah had the song "Soul Kind of Feeling" by the Dynamic Hepnotics was part of the underscore. Twelve years later, Dan sang this to Leah at their wedding reception in Episode 3997.

i realised yesterday that poor Donald ended up losing 3 children. first allan then bobby then byron. geez what rotten luck. also i always wondered why sam called him uncle donald. he was technically more a grandfather.

anyway its strange seeing morag back in when she was so mean but i do miss her these days.

Technically, Donald lost four children - Alan, Bobby, Oscar and Byron. In 1997, Marilyn suffered a miscarriage and they named their son, Oscar

I always wondered why sam called him uncle donald. he was technically more a grandfather.

You're correct but it's no different to the way Martha use to refer to Morag as 'Aunty Morag' as well even though it was her great aunt instead but Morag said being referred to 'aunty' was better than being referred to as 'great aunt' as it made her feel older being called 'great aunt'.

Maybe using the words 'uncle' or 'aunty' makes the character feel younger rather than referring to them by their actual relation to another person but that's just a guess on my behalf.

It's a respect thing, I think he called him Uncle Donald when Bobby was just fostering him out of respect - then when she married Greg it was never changed. It could be though be due to age, my eldest cousin calls our Grandma 'Auntie' because by Grandma was in her late 40s when he was born and didn't feel old enough to be a Grandma.

Archived