1993 Episode Discussion

Dan F

Caught up.I should have mentioned last week but there was a quiet thoughtfulness about the scene where Pippa tells Sally that she managed to stop blaming herself for Dale, whereas Adam will never get that because he knows Bobby's death was his fault.Sally being the one to get through to Alf after her own epiphany was one of her classic moments: Alf can tell adults that think he's in the wrong to mind their own business but finds it hard to argue with the earnestness of a child.I think people are still making a bit much of Sally not going to Bobby's funeral, her reasons were valid and it doesn't mean she loved Bobby any less, neither does the fact we haven't seen her cry.As Kerr Avon once said "I have never seen why it is necessary to behave irrationally in order to prove that you care, or indeed why it should be necessary to prove it at all."I agree she didn't have many opportunities to show a reaction to Bobby's coma and death but they're there if you look for them and we couldn't see everyone finding out.

For Adam though, it seems like every time things are looking up he gets kicked in the guts again.Morag helping Sam let go of his hate is a rather ambiguous moment and at worst she did the right thing for the wrong reasons, as her manipulative side starts to go into high gear.Was she trying to prove she's better for him than Don or was she actually trying to help him find peace?Maybe a combination of the two.My first reaction is that Don's attitude was OTT, Adam's hardly a child molester and on a practical level there's nothing wrong with Sam spending time with him, but I suppose it basically boils down to Don not liking him.He's got his reasons, but I'm not sure Sam should lose out because of them.It is ironic that while Don's taking things out on everyone else, he's letting Sam run riot and blaming others for his bad behaviour.

Tug annoyed me hugely for most of the week, he seemed to have a bigger attitude problem towards authority than the one Shane had last year for much of the time, with his grumbling about school and teachers and treating anyone who tries to give him advice like the enemy.I did cheer his tirade against Don, but that's mainly because Don was annoying me more that episode.And his end of episode chat with Sarah was quite poignant and leaves me wondering how many times that burning the school tie bit has been adapted for other characters.(I remember Geoff doing it without the pyromania 16 years on.)Anyway, hopefully now that the pressure's off him he'll be less of a whinger.At least for a bit.

As I recall, he does eventually go back to school, but still doesn't get his HSC.

You know, I'd have sworn on the bible that Shane doing a runner from the restaurant and the others being cornered by the manager was a cliffhanger, rather than the episode ending several minutes earlier with Shane looking nervous.Oddly, I found that the maitre d' wasn't as rude to Kevin as I remembered and it actually came across as Kevin having a chip on his shoulder and making it about race: There probably was that aspect to it but the guy was pretty snobby towards Shane as well so I don't think it was entirely down to Kevin's skin colour.

And Fin is increasingly seeming like the 1993 equivalent of Irene or Leah, being stuck in the Diner all the time so she can say "Can I take your order?" and fulfil her episode quota.Oh well, at least she's still got one or two storylines to go before she leaves.

The way I see it, the Maitre'D sussed Shane's character out from the get-go AND was a bit picky over the colour of Kevin's skin.

Sam, while understandably angry/upset, needed a whupping. Don was letting him ride roughshod over him the whole week and the mess with Nick's gunbelt got up my nose a bit. I would have been to Don "I know he's going through a hard time but he touches my gunbelt again after specifically being told not to, there'll be all hell to pay".

Fin is turning into a female Matt. I bet Tina Thomsen was probably fed up at this point and gave notice of quitting but the producers probably talked her into staying into early '94.

Glad people bar Alf and Donny are treating Adam like a human being again, not a lump of smelly brown stuff they stepped in.

Morag's smile at the end of 1330 while on the phone... The Joker would be proud!

I'm enjoying the adult storylines atm. I don't trust Ailsa and Morag's truce. And I love Morag's evil smiles. :P I've really missed her the past few years (present) and having her back in the TEY is a real treat.

Tug is driving me nuts even though he's my favourite character. Hope he realises quitting school was stupid and he'll return.

Sarah thinks she's daggy and invisible next to Angel is a realistic storyline.

Poor old Don, letting Sam go wild. I'm glad he's realised that Sam will turn into a monster if he kept it up. Sam did have Don wrapped around his little finger. I would have done the same if I was in Sam's shoes tbh. :P

Tug is driving me nuts even though he's my favourite character. Hope he realises quitting school was stupid and he'll return.

Well, Tug is probably better out of school as he's clearly, ah, academically challenged - he should take Luke's advice of TAFE/Tech college though, to learn a trade of some sort.

Seems like Fin has left school as well: Tug and Sarah rock up at the diner in their lunch break (well her lunch break - his 'break' is now permanent) and are immediately waited on by Fin (in one of her foxy outfits) - or does she treat Summer Bay High like a drop-in centre?

Archived