1993 Episode Discussion

Dan F

I have gone off Kevin now that he's always continually trying to prove himself to other people. And he's so competitive with Shane. Shane is no better though.

Glad Sally turned around and started to feel sorry for poor old Adam and she was the only one who can talk sense into Alf. Alf who has been a bit pig headed lately. What with Adam and his own wife.

ATM Tug is my favourite character. Hate the way Roxy and Luke are treating him though. Will be glad to

see the pair of them gone

It was nice to see the lighthouse featured in a storyline. I think this is the one and only time.

Agree loved the story with the lighthouse it's a shame it's not been used more often such an iconic landmark of the bay.

Regarding the war between Alsa and Morag. I know now that I have seen the Early Years that they used to be friends, now am I sure were they still friends when Danny ran her out of the Bay, was Alsa still feeling "pity" for her as a family member (being married to Alf)?

I still can't understand what the big deal is if she were to get custody of Sam.

Yes I believe they were still friends at that point as Morag had helped her with her postnatal depression and not wanting Duncan, I think the only reason she hated Morag on her return was due to the fact Ailsa was like a mum to Bobby and for the way Morag treated Bobby when she was alive, I think the main point of the Custody was due to her trying to get Roo to move to the city with her and trying to turn her against her family such as Alf and Celia.

Finally caught up on about three weeks' worth of episodes, so up to 1325.And we finally lost Greg.It seemed like the show was doing its best to make him seem more likable in his last week or so but the fact he'd been a right royal jerk for about three weeks beforehand meant I wasn't that sorry to see him go.Maybe he'd have improved if he stayed but he really didn't cover himself in glory.The soft underscore as he poisoned Sam's mind with hate-filled rhetoric was so inappropriate that I wonder if someone didn't realise what was happening in the scene.I well remember Pippa's Heal Realisation as she sees her own attitude towards Adam mirrored in Greg and realises she doesn't like what she sees.Mind you, the show seems a bit confused as to which side some of the characters are on: Roxy seems to be flip flopping between sympathetic and condemnatory towards Adam, while Sally and Fin seemed to start off sympathetic then join in with the snide remarks then go back again.At least with Sally it was actually a plot point, Fin seemed to go from "I hope Pippa kicks him out" to "Hating Adam won't bring Bobby back" with a noticeable grinding of gears.

You know something?I'm not really liking Ailsa that much at the moment.I think this is a case of her being right without being in the right.Or possibly the other way round:Comments like "She'll never change, she can't" and "Morag only gets pleasure from hurting people" didn't seem particularly accurate at the time, and in retrospect seem quite prejudiced.What happened to biting her tongue and waiting for Morag to show her true colours?It seems like every episode she's running around like a crazy person, hurling accusations at Morag without any kind of evidence and coming across as quite obsessive.("Morag left a tip!She's a monster!")It doesn't help that she's making similar comments to what people say about Irene when she comes back, and if Morag didn't occasionally smirk at the camera there'd be no evidence Ailsa was right at all.Not that I appreciate Alf yelling at her.Certainly Morag being one of the first to plead clemency for Adam has made her seem more sympathetic than a lot of characters; when Alf said it wouldn't win her any friends, all I thought was that it had won her one.

Don's breakdown in class is one of those magic moments that are hard to watch without a lump in the throat...so it's kind of incredible that it's undermined by having him overcompensate and take his grief out on innocent bystanders straight after.Still, he's recovered somewhat with a lot of sweet scenes with Sam.

Shame that set up turns out to be rather short-lived.

I see Damian and Sally have switched rooms when we weren't looking, presumably she's back in the attic.It makes a bit more sense of the sleeping arrangements but saying that Kevin couldn't stay unless Damian agreed to share a room with him was a bit simplistic: Why couldn't Sally and Fin, who were both keen for him to move in, go back to sharing so there'd be a room spare?Talking of things that happened when we weren't looking, was Episode 1313 the first time we see Angel in school uniform?I remember back when she made all that fuss about not wearing it that she ended up wearing it without much fanfare and that seems to be what happened.Actually, it's hard to remember the previous occasion we actually saw her at school.

Tug's another one I didn't have a lot of sympathy for.It probably doesn't help that he's been continually acting like a jerk ever since the musical and he's his own worst enemy.I can see why he'd feel put out that he was an afterthought in Greg's arrangements, but throwing tantrums at everyone who tried to help him and refusing to discuss solutions wasn't a good look.I definitely don't think Luke and Roxy are the bad guys in all this: They rented the house in good faith, they weren't to know that Tug hadn't got anywhere to move to and they weren't really responsible for him.

If you're waiting for Luke and Roxy to leave, it's a long while as yet.Roxy even outlasts Tug.

Yes I believe they were still friends at that point as Morag had helped her with her postnatal depression and not wanting Duncan, I think the only reason she hated Morag on her return was due to the fact Ailsa was like a mum to Bobby and for the way Morag treated Bobby when she was alive,

No they were definitely back to being enemies before Morag left in 1989. I seem to be the only one who remembers this :D

I agree with Red Ranger - Ailsa isn't all that likeable during this storyline, even though we know she turns out to be right about Morag. I suppose we have to remember that as viewers at this point, we're not supposed to know Morag as she becomes in 2001+. Viewers in 1993 would have only ever known her to be evil so were probably cheering Ailsa on. But even if she doesn't trust Morag, does she have to be so vocal about it all the time?

Morag's sly smiles to camera are enjoyable, but all too fleeting. I miss the loud boisterous Morag who slung insults around. I was hoping to see some of that during this stint. Her nice as pie persona may be devious, but it's not nearly as fun. Gotta give credit to Cornelia Frances though. Who else could say "cinnamon" and make it sound bitchy?

What i find funny is Sally was so mad at Adam with what happened to bobby but yet she didn't even bother going to the funeral and im pretty sure we didn't seven see her shed a tear. In fact days after bobby died we didn't even see her.

glad that Sam has realised it was a mistake and Adam and Sam became mates again even if fisher doesn't like it.

Morag is up to something but it is nice seeing her around the bay.

I feel quite sympathetic towards Sam. I don't really like how Greg just left him like that, it doesn't seem very in character (perhaps that's with hindsight though, knowing how long it takes for him to return). I guess he's gone with the intention of coming to pick him back up once he's found a place and settled in. I still feel like it's really harsh on Sam considering his history. He had some stability with Bobby finally, then his dad gets married to his new mum and he's in a happy family for a short time. Then Bobby and Greg split up and he has to deal with the idea of having a split family again, before feeling excited and happy to have them back together. Bobby dies and he feels like Greg's the only person he's got left and now he's gone. It's a lot for a kid to go through.

I'm glad that we got to focus on Fisher's grief, I was beginning to think that he had got over it fairly quickly. Some very sweet scenes between Sam and Don over the past week.

Also pleased to see Michael and Pippa supporting Adam. And now Pippa's passing on the lesson she learned to Sally. I agree with you Dee, that it was a shame we didn't see Sally's reaction to Bobby's death. The Gloria storyline was very badly timed, I don't understand why they didn't include Bobby's death into her storyline to snap her out of being so insecure.

Great to have Morag back and very interesting to see how she is at this point. I genuinely find it difficult to read her and that may have been the point. But those facial expressions and that sharp tone of voice is creeping back and I really liked that blunt conversation when she told Ailsa that everyone believed that she was in Summer Bay for the right reasons.

Archived