1993 Episode Discussion

Dan F

Irene's character development over the next few years is one of my favourite things about the show in this period.

There's so much focus on her trying to be a better person and improve her confidence, finally resulting in her taking on a foster kid with Selina and all the resulting storylines about Irene making a mixture of mistakes and successes as a foster mum.

It wasn't until the late 90s or even early 2000s that I finally started thinking of Irene as a proper adult character like Pippa or Ailsa. Up until then she'd always seemed more like one of the teen characters in the sense that she got plenty of storylines and got into a lot of silly/fun/dramatic situations.

Yeah, I'd say Irene grew up when Maz left and she met Ken. The scene where she protected Nick from his Mum in particular was almost her going full circle, from being the Mum the children needed protecting from to being the protector of the child, like Pippa was. I know there were other scenes like that with earlier kids like Selina, but it felt different with Nick being younger. Even so, she still felt very young and was close to the teens and Sally right up until the point she moved back to the Diner.

Irene's return was funny. And Nick's reaction as well. :P Light hearted scenes mixed in with the serious storyline of Sam and Donald. I love Morag's evil smirks.

Adam's had his run on the show. He can leave anytime he wants.

Yay Irene! Also, is Finn doing her end of year exams already!? It feels like just yesterday she decided to go back to school haha.

Does anybody know what month it's meant to be in the show?

I presumed she meant mid year exams. If its end of year exams then you are right. The year has flown. I dont even remember when I last saw Finn at school.

^ Why? They were both consenting Adults and it's not like she was still at school, in fact she was a 2nd year Uni student!

Anyhow, before Old H&A Fan does his block, I'm summing up the week of 1336-40.

- The trial despite the delay was more dramatic than I remembered.

- That Bikini that Sarah would have worn (kind of disappointed she didn't) seems quite modest to what was available then and is now!

- Kev's exit seemed hurried but I guess Wes Patten's contract was running out. I love the doom piano sting when he confronted

Shane

- The old shack is starting to look like I remember it when

Irene and her delinquent eldest child move in with Adam

- Shane and Angel seem to at least show some semblance of passion in their relationship after what seemed like a tepid period where he was either off with Damo or Kev, or she was off with Sarah.

- Robyn looked terrific but Monna Ramadan was playing an Aerobics instructor, so she had to. Luke reminded me of GMTV's Mr Motivator crammed into the Spandex (probably done deliberately for the female viewing contingent)

- Morag be scheming! Can't wait for more of that!

- Irene's return! Classic comedy. She got stitched up good and proper by those two thieving cows! We'll get more laughs out of her in the next year.

Archived