1993 Episode Discussion

Dan F

Todays episode was good. How did Nathan know that Irene was staying in Summer Bay? Can't wait to see him in Mondays episode

Of course Shane couldn't resist going to Yabbie Creek and mocking Tug. It was nice of Sarah to go and warn him. One thing about the store how did Shane get his hands on a Cherry Ripe when they were behind the counter and both Roxy and Alf in the store room.

Morag is seriously starting to show her true colours and is being so two-faced that it's one of those occasions where she'd be exposed in minutes if people just talked to each other.

I loved when she said to Ailsa "It's not your decision. You seem to have great difficulty understanding that".

And the way she smiled at Ailsa at the end of the episode after delivering the "good" news to her, was so full of malice.

Everyone seems to forget that Bobby would never in a million years want Morag to have Sam and I'm surprised she didn't have words to that effect in her will, much like Chloe did with Diana. In fact, comparing these storylines, they are very similar. Do you think the storyline with Diana/Olivia/Irene was based on this one with Morag/Sam/Ailsa? It was written by Daniel Bennett who was a big fan of the early years, and it may have been his primary reason for killing off Choe.

And as for the weird tangent hating on a character who won't appear until 1996

I never really saw Barry as older than Fin; regardless of the actors' ages, they were written as though they were about the same age and, as we saw when Channel 5 showed those episodes, Fin looked a lot older by the time of her last appearance.If you think about it, Bobby would have been about the same age when she got together with Greg, who would have to be a good few years older to be Sam's father, but no-one ever thinks of his as her older boyfriend.

Greg wasn't a million years older than her. If I'm to understand, when he told Bobby his backstory He and Jacqui were 18 when they had Sam so by 1991, Greg would have been 25-26 at a push, Bobby was probably only like 5 years younger than him.

Irene's blind faith in that rotten eldest son of hers is not going to do her any favours. While he err........ "gets it off" with Sarah the virgin (sworn to remain (cough) "clean" until marriage type) with little resistance, Alf catches him at it in the 1993/94 cliffhanger episodes. Irene sticks up for this dirty creature (who, like Revhead, is an ancestor of the Braxton brothers) and Alf calls her a "cheap lush" and she makes a big song and dance about being insulted this way because she has sworn off the grog and trying to better herself ........ all the while standing by the dirty thieving scum.

Caught up to 1345.

Tug is really hard to feel sorry for when Shane rips the **** on him. He would be a lot more brutal if it were SHANE that was walking around in a sandwich board promoting a baby store.

The Shane/Angel picnic was predictable. Kind of deserved it for putting the picnic that close to the Ocean!

The Yellow Charger which will become a staple for the next four years. It's almost as Iconic as Alf's jeep! Doom Piano played over the sene when Fin realised "He's here!" Anyone'd think WWE's Undertaker came to Summer Bay the way she was going on!

Morag the manipulator strikes again but she's sort of put on the back burner in favor of Adam and the teens for the remainder of the week.

Alf was a tad judgemental towards Irene but he's been kind of like that a lot lately.

Yeah, it is odd how certain vehicles became iconic, I understand the Charger and the Pink Bambino standing out as they were mentioned a lot in the story, but Alf's Jeep was so associated with his character. I remember finding it really jarring when Alf suddenly started driving a ute, I don't think there was an explanation, I always assumed it was in the garage of the Stewart house or parked outside during the mudslide. The Stewarts having two cars also really stood out to me, I didn't know anyone who did at the time, at least until the mid 90s.

I suppose it's just because he had it for so long, whereas the Fletchers/Rosses had quite a few different vehicles.

Yeah, it is odd how certain vehicles became iconic, I understand the Charger and the Pink Bambino standing out as they were mentioned a lot in the story, but Alf's Jeep was so associated with his character. I remember finding it really jarring when Alf suddenly started driving a ute, I don't think there was an explanation, I always assumed it was in the garage of the Stewart house or parked outside during the mudslide. The Stewarts having two cars also really stood out to me, I didn't know anyone who did at the time, at least until the mid 90s.

I have really vague memories of what happened to Alf's jeep. I think Curtis accidentally drove it off a cliff or possibly Aaron. He'd left the handrbake off while having a picnic with... Casey? All Alf could salvage of his precious jeep was a hubcap which he mourned over for days until Ailsa told him to snap out of it :D

Back to 1993 and there was some sinister foreshadowing with Shane's picnic ending in disaster. Angel gets him to promise that he'll do it again some day...

Archived