1993 Episode Discussion

Dan F

I loved todays episode. Loved how Morag got caught out and Sam admitted he wanted to stay and not go to that school. Loved how Pippa and Michael took Sam in. That's what I miss on the current series. The fostering.

Well, there was Spencer and Maddy and Jett was recently adopted but I see what you mean.

Back to 1993, We would have probably have wound up with Oliver Twist-esque scenes of Sam being given short shrift and slapped around at the school had the writers gone that way.

Also, David Dixon's teeth (I'm remembering and have recently seen a couple clips)... Man!

Weren't they even thinking of writing "him" out in 1993 at all? Didn't the producers or actor ever talk about leaving the show back around Bobby's death? I mean there were 2 opportunities to get rid of him: to leave with his father Greg, or to leave to live with Aunty Morag.

Weren't they even thinking of writing "him" out in 1993 at all? Didn't the producers or actor ever talk about leaving the show back around Bobby's death? I mean there were 2 opportunities to get rid of him: to leave with his father Greg, or to leave to live with Aunty Morag.

Obviously they wanted to keep him in the show otherwise they would have got rid of him whenever they wanted. He was a popular character, people liked that he was in H&A. I've enjoyed his storylines so I'm glad that he's there, I presume the feedback they received back in 1993 proved that people liked having him around. Plus I think he's a pretty good child actor.

Bit behind this thread since I've just seen 1345.But yes, obviously the writers had no intention of writing out young Samuel, otherwise they would have done.The whole storyline was probably conceived solely to give Morag something to do while they had her and the intention was likely to have Samuel join the caravan park house family all along.Still, it was disappointing to have Ailsa go straight back into acting like a crazy woman the moment she hears Sam might be living with Morag.I mean, it was Don who suggested her so what possessed Ailsa to go running round there shouting "Ah-ha, you see, I was right!" as if he might have forgotten?

I guess there's a broadly similar storyline going on with Irene, in that we know she turns into a pillar of the community so Alf, Ailsa and Donald assuming she's drinking again plays harsher for us than it did at the time.Mind you, I'd have quite liked Luke to turn round during Michael and Alf's gossip and go "Er, remember how you made snap judgements about me a few months back..?" Interesting that Fin seemed a lot more sympathetic than Damian.Kind of in two minds about Irene's tough love approach to Adam but I guess that's the beginning of their friendship.

Damian being in love with Angel seemed to come out of nowhere and then get dropped just as quickly in the next episode, although the moment where she works it out was subtly played.And it showed that Shane and Angel can be quite sweet when they want to.Tug is increasingly coming across as someone who can dish it out but can't take it.He drags Sarah down the surf club to make fun of Luke doing aerobics (when Luke is the one bending over backwards to help him), Shane can't buy Angel a present without Tug taking the opportunity to make smart comments, but Shane winds him up about his job and he throws the toys out of the pram and goes back to bludging and feeling sorry for himself.And then Alf acts like the town sheriff and orders Shane out of a business he doesn't even own because Tug was being a loser with anger management problems.

Agree aboutTug. He's like the cowardly bully in the playground who's tough when he's got like 4-5 mates around but is the first to cry when someone flips it on HIM then plays the victim. He seems to get even less sympathetic every week as 1993 rolls on!

Damian/Angel, the producers probably chickened out of upsetting the applecart.

And Alf charging around like he's the law in Summer Bay was unnecessary.

Loved Morag being caught out and tossed out of the family! So...when is she going to appear next? :P

Shane, selfish of you. Not wanting to wear a tie just for one night??

Liking Adam and Irene's friendship but Adam feeling sorry for himself is getting rather old.

Archived