1993 Episode Discussion

Dan F

And now begins the filth that goes on between Nathan the rockspider, and Sarah the so-called virgin "wait till I get married" type, whose father is the Catholic Archbishop of Summer Bay. Alf tries to stop it, but that seems to only make her dig her heels in further, while Nathan brags about his exploits and his fantasies to his new mate Adam. At least the end of today's episode does hint on his hidden agenda, about him knowing how to get what he wants. He is still a villain, which is where he belongs.

It's a pity Sarah never sees anything really wrong with him, even long after his time is up.

Yes, this is a weak storyline which really stretches plausibility to breaking point - and makes Sarah a far from credible character. Also weak is

Damo's gradual acceptance of Nathan as a decent brother.

Caught up to 1350.

Nathan looks like he could struggle to beat up Sam let alone Damo from the stories we heard about him. The teeth man, the producer should have said "Dave, we'll give you an advance to get them fixed". He's like 1988-89 Revhead only a bit more annoying without a gang.

I remember when the eps during his stint aired, David Dixon was trying to plug his music career in the UK and did the talk show circuit (After Five, etc).

And Old H&A fan, we all know how far Nathan and Sarah get (most of us who watched first time round)

The attempt is foiled by a certain self-appointed Straw-hatted Town Sherrif with a bad temper and a good right hook!

... so cool down! .

Angel looked kind of hot in that outfit, Shane could have at least put on a smart-casual shirt!

Enjoyed the Adam/Luke/Nick stuff. Adam finally coming to terms with the whole Bobby thing.

Morag hits the bricks and isn't seen again until

Sutherland vs Phillips Round 1 in court

. Kind of relieved because Ailsa was getting annoying. It was easy to back her against Karen (who came back worse than when she went into jail)

but not against Morag.

Stats section:

Appearence IMDB data (not the most reliable but accurate enough for most appearances this far into the season, it's the later eps that are a bit of a mess on that site)

1. Shane Parrish

2. Damian Roberts

3. Donald Fisher

4. Michael Ross

5. Tug O'Neale

And now begins the filth that goes on between Nathan the rockspider, and Sarah the so-called virgin "wait till I get married" type, whose father is the Catholic Archbishop of Summer Bay. Alf tries to stop it, but that seems to only make her dig her heels in further, while Nathan brags about his exploits and his fantasies to his new mate Adam. At least the end of today's episode does hint on his hidden agenda, about him knowing how to get what he wants. He is still a villain, which is where he belongs.

It's a pity Sarah never sees anything really wrong with him, even long after his time is up.

Okay, really, this is not how I remember the storyline at all.You may be right about some of the details that I've forgotten but I'm as sure as I can be given that this is 20 years ago

that Sarah completely turns against Nathan and declares him the biggest mistake of her life once she finds out Nathan's stealing again.I can well remember that scene of Damian and Sarah on the beach after Nathan's been arrested, declaring that he fooled them both.

So maybe we should actually wait until the episodes have been shown before discussing them in the wrong year thread, just in case we're remembering them wrong.

Ailsa's almost obsessive hatred of Morag makes it all the worse that Alf lets Duncan go and live with her in 2001 without so much as a mention of the fact Ailsa wouldn't like it - she would have been FUMING. If I remember rightly there is some brief mention of it during the Brain-tumour-Ailsa storyline - and quite rightly so). I did enjoy the fact that even Ailsa as a figment of Alf's imagination hates Morag just as much as the real one did.

^ True though it did stretch credibility when she had Alf

shove Donny Boy down the stairs during the tumour arc

It was Morag who ended up shoved down the stairs - in the episode after, 'Ailsa' was provoking Alf to have it out with Don, though Don had an Angina attack just as Alf was going to punch him.

Made it up to 1350, so I'm a week behind.And ah yes, the debut of Roberts Junior, as I'll dub him when we meet the even more ne'er-do-well Roberts Senior in a couple of years' time.I can't quite work out how tall he is:In some scenes he seems about the same height as everyone else, then suddenly Damian towers over him.Irene seemed likely an extremely soft touch where he was concerned for most of the episode but seems to have at least started to develop a more realistic viewpoint.Not convinced Adam would let him move in just because Irene was nice to him a couple of times though.Having a couple more family members around means Fin feels like less of a spare part, and she and Damian start having scenes together again after a period where he's mostly been hanging out with his classmates.

And Morag's plans going up in smoke.It's odd, I was expecting to feel a bit sorry for her, especially since I haven't been too impressed with Ailsa's belligerence lately.But I actually didn't feel a bit sorry for her, it felt like she showed her true vile colours in the last few episodes as her emotional abuse of Sam reached fever pitch and she tried to scare him into quietly leaving everyone and everything he cares about with horror stories of how they'd all die if he didn't.(I'm exaggerating but only slightly.)So actually, well done Ailsa for getting people to listen just in time, and even more well done Sam for speaking up at the last minute.I was actually left wishing she'd had a bigger comeuppance than being sent out of town with a semi-incoherent rant from Alf ringing in her ears.So that's the last we see of her until 2001.

When she comes back to town after Ailsa dies and takes

her son away.Anyone else find that slightly spooky and wonder if she spent the rest of the 20th century coming up with revenge scenarios?As I recall, Alf admitted at the time that Ailsa could never stand Morag and would have hated the idea of Duncan gong to live with her.But Morag had obviously perfected the carrot and stick technique in the intervening years and with Duncan wanting to go there wasn't much he could do.

Adam's breakdown after trying to attack Nick was another of those moment when I went "Oh yeah, I know what happens here" halfway through the scene.Looks like that could be certain things settled at last.And Shane and Angel's first abortive trip to the ballet, with Shane semi-redeeming himself with an honest apology: He isn't going to pretend to be something he's not but is going to work harder at making Angel happy.Damian and Sarah have sizzling chemistry again...oh wait, yeah, that's not going to happen.While I think Tug always held a torch for her, Sarah does seem to view him in a completely platonic fashion by this point.

So once again I find myself frustrated that the 2000s writers printed the legend and married them off.

And oh yes, I forgot: Gloria mention in 1344 I think, so looks like she and Sally made up off screen.

Archived