1993 Episode Discussion

Dan F

Made it up to 1350, so I'm a week behind.And ah yes, the debut of Roberts Junior, as I'll dub him when we meet the even more ne'er-do-well Roberts Senior in a couple of years' time.I can't quite work out how tall he is:In some scenes he seems about the same height as everyone else, then suddenly Damian towers over him.Irene seemed likely an extremely soft touch where he was concerned for most of the episode but seems to have at least started to develop a more realistic viewpoint.Not convinced Adam would let him move in just because Irene was nice to him a couple of times though.Having a couple more family members around means Fin feels like less of a spare part, and she and Damian start having scenes together again after a period where he's mostly been hanging out with his classmates.

And Morag's plans going up in smoke.It's odd, I was expecting to feel a bit sorry for her, especially since I haven't been too impressed with Ailsa's belligerence lately.But I actually didn't feel a bit sorry for her, it felt like she showed her true vile colours in the last few episodes as her emotional abuse of Sam reached fever pitch and she tried to scare him into quietly leaving everyone and everything he cares about with horror stories of how they'd all die if he didn't.(I'm exaggerating but only slightly.)So actually, well done Ailsa for getting people to listen just in time, and even more well done Sam for speaking up at the last minute.I was actually left wishing she'd had a bigger comeuppance than being sent out of town with a semi-incoherent rant from Alf ringing in her ears.So that's the last we see of her until 2001.

When she comes back to town after Ailsa dies and takes

her son away.Anyone else find that slightly spooky and wonder if she spent the rest of the 20th century coming up with revenge scenarios?As I recall, Alf admitted at the time that Ailsa could never stand Morag and would have hated the idea of Duncan gong to live with her.But Morag had obviously perfected the carrot and stick technique in the intervening years and with Duncan wanting to go there wasn't much he could do.

Adam's breakdown after trying to attack Nick was another of those moment when I went "Oh yeah, I know what happens here" halfway through the scene.Looks like that could be certain things settled at last.And Shane and Angel's first abortive trip to the ballet, with Shane semi-redeeming himself with an honest apology: He isn't going to pretend to be something he's not but is going to work harder at making Angel happy.Damian and Sarah have sizzling chemistry again...oh wait, yeah, that's not going to happen.While I think Tug always held a torch for her, Sarah does seem to view him in a completely platonic fashion by this point.

So once again I find myself frustrated that the 2000s writers printed the legend and married them off.

And oh yes, I forgot: Gloria mention in 1344 I think, so looks like she and Sally made up off screen.

Morag's "emotional abuse" of little samantha? "Scaring"?? him (or should that be—scaring her) into coming to live with her or "everyone will die"? Slight exaggeration?? Morag's "true vile colours"??? You make it sound like she was doing something really dreadful like locking her in her room or belting the **** out of him for leaving her teddy bear on the floor in her bedroom. What about Alsa's scheming bit of interfering, and Samantha isn't even her granddaughter!! Alsa really stuck the knife into Morag (metaphorically as she literally did to her own father) and she looked like the hero who saved Samantha from Morag's eeeevil clutches.

Why do you refer to Nathan as "Roberts Junior" and Murdoch as "Roberts Senior"?? Isn't Damian also a "Roberts Junior"?? And aren't you forgetting that Murdoch wasn't into crime like Nathan was?? He was the murder victim, not the villain??

And ah yes, the debut of Roberts Junior, as I'll dub him when we meet the even more ne'er-do-well Roberts Senior in a couple of years' time.

And Morag's plans going up in smoke.It's odd, I was expecting to feel a bit sorry for her, especially since I haven't been too impressed with Ailsa's belligerence lately.But I actually didn't feel a bit sorry for her, it felt like she showed her true vile colours in the last few episodes as her emotional abuse of Sam reached fever pitch and she tried to scare him into quietly leaving everyone and everything he cares about with horror stories of how they'd all die if he didn't.(I'm exaggerating but only slightly.)So actually, well done Ailsa for getting people to listen just in time, and even more well done Sam for speaking up at the last minute.

Morag's "emotional abuse" of little samantha? "Scaring"?? him (or should that be—scaring her) into coming to live with her or "everyone will die"? Slight exaggeration?? Morag's "true vile colours"??? You make it sound like she was doing something really dreadful like locking her in her room or belting the **** out of him for leaving her teddy bear on the floor in her bedroom. What about Alsa's scheming bit of interfering, and Samantha isn't even her granddaughter!! Alsa really stuck the knife into Morag (metaphorically as she literally did to her own father) and she looked like the hero who saved Samantha from Morag's eeeevil clutches.

Why do you refer to Nathan as "Roberts Junior" and Murdoch as "Roberts Senior"?? Isn't Damian also a "Roberts Junior"?? And aren't you forgetting that Murdoch wasn't into crime like Nathan was?? He was the murder victim, not the villain??

Okay, we'll leave aside the fact you have difficulty telling boys and girls apart...Yes, slight exaggeration."Don't stay in Summer Bay or you'll make Uncle Donald ill."That, in my book, is emotional abuse and scaring him into doing what she wants.I don't see why you accuse Ailsa of "scheming" or "sticking the knife into Morag".She didn't say anything that wasn't true, the only remotely underhand thing she did was getting a copy of the enrolment form under false pretences (which is arguably justified in exposing Morag's own scheming), and in the end all she did was provide a delaying tactic.It wasn't down to Ailsa's actions that Sam didn't go and live with her, it was because of Sam revealing how Morag had been treating him when no-one was looking.Abuse is not just about beating someone with a belt.Sometimes it's subtler and cleverer than that.

Yes, but Damian was a good guy.Murdoch might not have been a thief but he was actually moreso what you tend to accuse Nathan of being.Nathan dated a girl who was maybe three years younger than him.Murdoch sexually harassed and possibly intended to rape a teenage girl less than half his age, who was definitely not a willing participant.

She also pretended she got the wrong number when she rang the number on the bill and found it to be Wentworth Grammar. That is also underhand and scheming. Alsa's level of determination to stop Morag goes beyond what was appropriate for her position. In between that, Alsa displayed an ongoing hatred and vindictiveness to Morag, like they forgot they even had a friendship, and for Alf to accuse Morag of not liking Alsa (when it was obviously the other way round).

Also, what was so wrong with sending Samantha to Wentworth Grammar to justify that in making a point of it in the storyline??

PS. As to your question of me not being able to tell the difference between boys and girls, his voice sounds really girly for a boy.

As for Murdoch, Selina was a bitch who constantly acted like she had bullants up her pants. Not much sympathy for her, and "rape", once again, is an exaggeration.

True.I have found Ailsa's constant belligerence towards Morag a bit wearing at times and I do think Alf's last rant at Morag was a bit misdirected.Some of the characters' comments about Wentworth Grammar were also a bit strange, but I think it was a symptom of Morag's skewed priorities and materialism, that she thought sending Sam to a posh private school would automatically make him a better person.The characters' fear seemed to be that that sort of environment would turn Sam into someone who was ashamed of his roots and wouldn't want anything to do with them, like Morag herself to a point.And it is doubtful whether Sam would have flourished in that sort of atmosphere when he's not really the intellectual type.

I wouldn't describe Selina as a bitch: She was no shrinking violet but that doesn't make her a fair target for any middle-aged sleaze that takes a fancy to her.It's all open to interpretation but Murdoch probably intended to do something when he sneaked into her room uninvited.

Saw all of this week's.

Nathan nobbled Tug good style. And if he hadn't Tug'd probably be fired for Twatting Shane one on the nose for goading him for like the thousandth time. The scene in the diner with both Luke and Irene approaching Don reminded me of just about any wrestling feud where Managers/Advocates try to secure title shots for their charges.

It's official, Nick and Luke do NOT have lives.

I remembered the Shane/Angel ballet 4-on-2 attempted Mugging storyline and it's not over...

One those little popcorn farts later breaks into Don's

Back to Nathan, Most of everyone's forgiven you Adam, why hang out with a confirmed lowlife, just because he lives with you?

Seeds of Sam moving home once again are sewn.

Roxy free-week this week.

Loved Irene's shove on "Bazza".

We got another Damo/Sarah ship tease even if it was for one ep.

The Official Summer Bay Spare parts club roll call: Nick! Luke! Adam! Sally! Finlay!

Mugging aside, that Sydney backdrop looked beautiful. Ironically, Summer Bay/Yabbie Creek is now 20x more dangerous than The City EVER could be! :D:D:D

The Sinister Piano must have got a good workout that week.

.............I remembered the Shane/Angel ballet 4-on-2 attempted Mugging storyline and it's not over...

One those little popcorn farts later breaks into Don's

and Angel feels sorry for the scumbag and stops Shane from turning him in to the police

:shakes head:

Archived