1993 Episode Discussion

Dan F

Seen up to 1311.

It's beginning to feel like either Greg, Tug or Pippa could kill Adam at any moment. I understand their rage but it was an accident. Tug's being a knob again over school, Sometimes if you ask a question tooo much, you may wind up with an answer you DON'T like. Sarah was unfair to put it all on Luke. Bobby's death or not, Tug ASKED for the result and got it.

Morag's return is proving a good watch. Everyone sees some form of humanity but Ailsa, as ever, is like one of those drug dogs at the airport who sits when they detect a whiff of something (usually Dope or Blow). Watch the ride.

Chuckled at Damo's Alf impression, I think he does a Better Don if I'm being honest. :D

Don't mind Kevin, I mean Wes Patten wasn't Logie material but you could do a lot worst for a guest. Lenny, despite being played by a reasonably known Aboriginal actor, Michael Watson, seems a bit of a non-entity and more of an accessory to this story but has served his purpose.

It's a shame they didn't use a flashback at the funeral to when Vanessa Downing's Pippa said to Bobby, at her wedding to Frank, that nothing would make her prouder than if she was her real mum.

Bobby had such great chemistry that Vanessa's Pippa, and it just did not show as much with Debra's Pippa!

It's a shame they didn't use a flashback at the funeral to when Vanessa Downing's Pippa said to Bobby, at her wedding to Frank, that nothing would make her prouder than if she was her real mum.

Bobby had such great chemistry that Vanessa's Pippa, and it just did not show as much with Debra's Pippa!

Yes that would have been a great flashback to use!! But the one they went for was good too.

Just watched the episode of Bobby's funeral, does anyone else think it was a pretty poor turnout? For someone in the bay who's very well respected and a friend to pretty much everyone, there seemed to be only close family there or was that the way they wanted it?

Just watched the episode of Bobby's funeral, does anyone else think it was a pretty poor turnout? For someone in the bay who's very well respected and a friend to pretty much everyone, there seemed to be only close family there or was that the way they wanted it?

I agree to an extent but again we're unsure of whether Greg and Don wanted a smaller turnout consisting of Bobby's family and closest friends.

My impression was that Bobby was a very popular figure of the town so I do agree that the turnout of her funeral was rather small but again maybe Greg and Don requested a smaller turnout off-screen. That's just a guess though.

Made it up to 1311.So, Adam's public enemy number one...or is he?Well, in some people's eyes but there's a surprising number who seem sympathetic or indifferent to him, with Michael in particular demonstrating his good egg credentials by being willing to stand up for him.It's probably a good thing that the opening titles indicate Greg's not long for this show.He's got good reason to dislike Adam but the problem is Adam's a much more likable character than him so he comes across as a bit of a bully.And starting a fight at your wife's funeral is not a good look.Tug isn't coming across that well either: The way he went straight from hating on Greg to hating on Adam gives the impression of him looking for someone to blame, and then he spends two episodes giving Luke a hard time and quitting school on the grounds that seagulls are stupid and so is he.

The funeral episode is a pretty good one.I get the point about the Pippa flashback but I think the point of that sequence was to emphasise Bobby's bond with those that were there, not play Spot the Past Castmember.I know it's the same character, but speaking as someone who'd never seen Vanessa's Pippa when I first saw that episode and was only vaguely aware there'd been another actress in the role, making anyone who'd started watching within the previous three years go "Who's that and why aren't they showing a clip of Pippa?" would have taken them out of the moment.(The clip chosen didn't really illustrate the point the minister was making though and there were better clips of Debra they could have chosen:Pippa and Bobby had some pretty good stuff together in 1991.) I think it's missing the point to say Sally should have been there: This isn't like Dale's funeral where she just didn't turn up, the show addresses her feelings on the matter and explains why she doesn't want to go, and the episode makes better use of her than if she'd been sat next to Pippa not saying anything.(It's easy to forget that Sally's still relatively young: My mum has always said that she didn't go to her grandmother's funeral when she was in her teens because it wasn't the place for a child.And incidentally, Sally's views on wanting to remember Bobby as she was echo Pippa's thoughts when Tom died.)And that last scene of Donald and Sam was a thing of beauty and perhaps shows why it's a good thing Ryan Clark's sticking around.(Maybe it's a decade of getting used to it, but I've always kind of accepted Sam calling him "Uncle Donald" as an expression of affection."Grandad" would feel strange, given that he never called Bobby Mum.)

And Morag's back, for her only stint of the 90s.I'd actually say she's got slightly harder by 2001, where she basically achieves what she fails to do here, poisons Duncan against Summer Bay and is sent on her way with a mild The Reason You Suck speech from Alf.Despite her ultimately being exposed as manipulative, I find Morag fairly likable during 1993 and, whatever her agenda, I think she does do some good.It's hard to tell where her mind is at the moment.I think she does genuinely feel lonely and is aware that, one way or another, she lost her only chance of being a mother; I think she always regretted not raising Bobby so that, in her mind, by the time she did stumble across her it was too late and Bobby was a person she wasn't interested in getting to know.How much she regrets that at this point I'm not sure.Ailsa isn't doing herself any favours by making herself look like the crazy person and this is one of those occasions where she's both absolutely right and absolutely wrong: Maybe Morag hasn't changed yet but one day she will.

I'm not sure what to make of Roxy and Sarah "championing" Kevin.They've got good intentions but they seem ever so slightly high-handed in the way they pressure him to get an education and expect Lenny to sacrifice everything for the sake of what they think is best for Kevin.Again, I'm not really sure how this winds up so I'm interested to see the result.

Well, from what I remember Kevin has a lot of interaction with Shane and there's

One big-ass lighthouse abseiling dare

to come.

Maybe instead of the Musical eps (Which were brilliant, among this year's best) , Bobby's funeral could been submitted by Andrew Howie for the AFI award that year but I imagine they missed the cutoff.

Archived