2019 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

I was amazed Bella managed to hold on for so long, she must have been busting as she said to Dean she needed the loo.  Totes CaptainHulk really?:rolleyes: Btw I think Courtney Miller has beautiful eyes.  Small aside was Dean's cut on his cheek more prominent than it had been?  Ziggy actually seemed more laid back then he did when Bella popped her head out. Of course Dean has known her a lot longer than Ziggy so would understand how freaked out Colby would be. Willow on the other hand seemed very blaise about the fact Bella was missing, Colby is responsible for her after all, anything could have happened to her. Oh  I spotted a Union Jack flag amongst all the cars!:)    That was a spectacular landscape Dean & Ziggy were driving through.  Anyone know where they were? 

Oh Z& D do kiss!:wub:  Be careful Dean you've been on the wrong end of a rebound romance before.

I can't recall Jasmine having many panic attacks either unless there were times before we knew her.:unsure:

Jett, could, of course, put off leaving John and Maz's but the longer he leaves it the harder it will be for him to make the break and  be independent.  That flat looked fantastic btw and it would have been OK'd by guys and gals in Jett's situation hence look how spacious it looked.  He's not going to be just left there to fend for himself, he'll have help adjusting and getting the feel of the place.  Plus of course all cupboards etc will be at eye level so he won't have to stretch up like he did to get that jug out of the fridge at John & Marilyn's or have any low cupboards. Not comparable at all but being on the short side I don't have any overhead cupboards in my house as I know I couldn't reach them.  I guess he'd be provided with a grabber should he drop anything.  It's not  a done deal, he can still say no, but why doesn't he give it a go, they - the Army - must allow an adjustment period.  I like how John & Marilyn are supportive, even though they must be concerned.  It did take them a while for the penny to drop that Jett wasn't as keen as they expected him to be.

That was a neat trick Colby pulled when he started the car with a screw driver telling the others - well mainly Ziggy & Bella - to forget they'd seen it.  Mind you, cops do know how to get into cars and start  them by non legal methods if needs be.

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My overall feeling about that episode is "Where did that come from?" I think I have to give Colby credit for not losing it at Bella (at least not yet) and trying to have a calm if rather inept conversation with her.(Was it really news to him that she was upset at Dean not being around as much?Where has he been for the last week?)But that ending was ridiculous.For a start, I'd love it if Bella did report Colby and I wish they wouldn't tease us if it's not going to happen (if Colby stops her next episode, then he's well and truly among the unrighteous).But why would she suddenly decide to do that now, out of nowhere?Some twisted "My family's falling apart so I might as well finish the job" impulse? And where did she get a change of clothes from? Did Colby buy them despite them being in a town that seemed to only have two shops?

Meanwhile, in the midst of showing off the landscape, we get the quite nice storyline of Ziggy forming a rivalry with another couple only to end up learning enough about them to be frenemies at least.But what was Dean thinking of with that kiss?Again, where did that come from?I mean, okay, there's been a few interested looks and he's got Colby's latest bad advice ringing in his ears (Did he learn nothing from getting Willow to make a move on Dean?), but did he expect her to just fall into his arms or something?All he's done is make things awkward.

And back in the Bay, Willow and Jasmine are getting drunk.I think Willow was wrong to smuggle the booze in with an "Irene's not here", and Jasmine hiding alcohol in the house seems like a recipe for disaster, but I guess at least it's an improvement on the days when the show seemed to have forgotten Irene was an alcoholic and just had everyone necking wine in her front room.Their conversation was rather sweet but I think Willow's back story has been changed: I seem to remember she told Justin her mother walked out on her when she was young.

Wow. I guess I'll start with the cliffhanger at the end, which has left me conflicted. Bella turning Colby in is something I wanted her to do for a while, but I am less convinced about her reason behind it. It is possible that she's still convinced that Ziggy and Dean being together would ruin her 'family', and she just thought "screw it" and just turn Colby in. This might suggest that Bella has been holding in some resentment towards Colby, but she didn't show it because she was getting a (sort of) stable family to be in (which also might explain her change in attitude towards Colby's confession ages ago), having been denied from it for a long time, and now it is being threatened, she sees no point in keeping it in anymore. But on the other hand, it is also possible that this is just a knee-jerk reaction and won't last long, which is disappointing. Otherwise, my sympathy for Bella did grow today with her heartfelt confession that she's afraid about things changing, though while I'm glad that Colby actually did try and listen to her, I couldn't help but feel he only listened with one ear open. 

Meanwhile, Dean's taken the step over the friendship line with that kiss, and to be fair, anyone could see that coming from a mile away whenever it would have happened. Frankly, I didn't think he should have done that. My mind's still unsure about whether or not I'd prefer them as a couple over their friendship, and also, as Red pointed out, he did it in such as awkward way that made it certainty that it wouldn't end well. Elsewhere, while part of me was startled by her attitude, I did enjoy the carefree rivalry Ziggy shared with the couple throughout the episode. Did feel sorry for the two of them at the end with their backstory. 

So according to Jasmine, she hasn't had a another panic attack since childhood. I must say, she's been handling it very well. Now, Willow was wrong to bring in the alcohol, no matter whether Irene was there or not. I'm glad that Jasmine was against it initially, until she ended up hiding it in her room. Then again, I don't think that it will be brought up/will happen again, with the last scene with Jasmine looking at the engagement ring overshadowing the hidden alcohol, I'm hoping that it was just a one time. That said, I did enjoy the light girl scenes between Willow and Jasmine, and hopefully we will see more of that. After all that has happened this year, I feel like it's makes more sense than any scenes with Jasmine and Tori (don't get me wrong, I still enjoy their scenes, but part of me is still rattled after the embryo stealing story). And I liked Willow's realisation that 90% of her scenes have been evolving around any drama involving Dean and Colby, so I hope that she keeps up to that. 

Well, this was a very frustrating episode. As if I wasn't depressed enough that Bella would have probably not gone to the police (which she didn't, only down to emotional blackmail on Colby's part, which makes him even more of a p****), Dean and Colby's attitude that made it feel like Bella telling the truth was the worst thing ever to happen on the show, and that her anger over her father's death was just down to her being a brat, makes me really wonder why I'm still bothering. I mean, are we suppose to be taking Colby's side here, even after he's shown his true colours with just as much confessing he felt no remorse for what he did, that Ross "deserved it" ? Are we suppose to sympathise with him struggling with Bella? I felt nothing for him during his talk about things have to change or his brooding scenes at the pub. And Dean was no better, calling Bella's almost confession "a low act". I mean, even if he tried to understand her, rather than just take Colby's side, then I'd like him a bit more this episode. Again, feeling very sorry for Bella, who hasn't been taken seriously, at all. 

And now, Ziggy and Dean are together, which was pretty predictable. I feel like the pacing should be slower given the circumstances, and I'm worried about whether their relationship will be as good as their friendship has been, (as well as feeling sorry for the person who would be using the shower after them! ?), but, you know, I'll give them a chance. Dean, despite his mixed up moral compass, has a good heart, and would treat Ziggy well, which is what she deserves. Again, the rivalry with the other couple was fun, and I did laugh at the prank (the only time I did laugh with actual humour with this episode). 

Speaking of going way to fast... while I love that Robbo and Jasmine are back together, truly I do, I don't think it's healthy for them to be engaged this quickly. They should be taking this slow, perhaps being together would do some good, but engaged? I feel like it's a bit too early for that. I am glad that Robbo actually used his excuse to not be around Jasmine (which he's been doing way too much) to talk with Aiden about his fears, and I really like that he got some closure about his past, his guilt, and that he should do right with Jasmine. But... I guess I felt the same thoughts when Matt and Evie got engaged just two episodes before they left back in 2017, and I had several problems with it, but in the end, I dropped it because after everything the two went through, I just wanted them to be happy and be safe, so I guess I can go for this as well. But seriously though, patience could have worked just as well, writers. Just a note. 

As expected, Colby managed to stop Bella.The only good thing is he didn't actually drag her back to the car, and he might have done if there hadn't been a police officer there.What followed was ridiculous:Does Colby actually think that he's the victim in this? He acts as though it's somehow Bella's fault that he's got this hanging over him for the rest of his life, which isn't even debatable.He chose to murder Ross. He (well, actually Dean, but he went along with it) chose to cover it up.He chose to tell Bella and then bottle turning himself in so she's left in limbo with him.For the rest of his life, or however long it takes him to get found out or confess, it's always going to be at the back of his and all their minds that today could be the day that the body gets found or a cold case investigation asks one too many awkward questions or one of the many people that knows the truth lets something slip deliberately or otherwise.So don't try and pin it on Bella.And yet somehow it felt like the episode was doing just that, expecting us to see Bella as the one in the wrong when really it's Colby and Dean.The only plus is that at least it has actually been brought up again, and it's still there under the surface, because for the last several weeks it's felt like "Storyline's over, stop talking about it."

Meanwhile, continuing in the WTF stakes...In the space of half an episode, we go from Dean having behaved inappropriately given how confused and vulnerable Ziggy is at the moment, to Ziggy having wanted it but realised she's not ready, to their rather sleazy lakeside hook-up and necking round the back of the toilets like they're footloose and fancy free.I'm afraid I just can't get behind it.It feels like we're meant to view them positively but it just feels shallow and ill-advised.I'd have much preferred them to stay friends.

Again, the "back in the bay" stuff was the best thing on offer while also getting the least screentime.We were that close to getting Ada Nicodemou and Socratis Otto in a scene together but we missed out.I'm willing to go with Robbo and Jasmine here, it makes a kind of sense for them to go back to where they were rather than trying to build their way up again, although it also feels like they've both got a lot of stuff to sort out still, so hopefully the counselling won't just be forgotten.

I bet Colby is wishing that he'd never gone looking for Bella now.

As others have said, it is far too soon for Ziggy to be getting into another relationship (with anybody, not just Dean). I've enjoyed seeing them as friends but not sure that they work as a couple.

The location footage has been par excellence.

9 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

As expected, Colby managed to stop Bella.The only good thing is he didn't actually drag her back to the car, and he might have done if there hadn't been a police officer there.What followed was ridiculous:Does Colby actually think that he's the victim in this? He acts as though it's somehow Bella's fault that he's got this hanging over him for the rest of his life, which isn't even debatable.He chose to murder Ross. He (well, actually Dean, but he went along with it) chose to cover it up.He chose to tell Bella and then bottle turning himself in so she's left in limbo with him.For the rest of his life, or however long it takes him to get found out or confessed, it's always going to be at the back of his and all their minds that today could be the day that the body gets found or a cold case investigation asks one too many awkward questions or one of the many people that knows the truth lets something slip deliberately or otherwise.So don't try and pin it on Bella.And yet somehow it felt like the episode was doing just that, expecting us to see Bella as the one in the wrong when really it's Colby and Dean.The only plus is that at least it has actually been brought up again, and it's still there under the surface, because for the last several weeks it's felt like "Storyline's over, stop talking about it."

Meanwhile, continuing in the WTF stakes...In the space of half an episode, we go from Dean having behaved inappropriately given how confused and vulnerable Ziggy is at the moment, to Ziggy having wanted it but realised she's not ready, to their rather sleazy lakeside hook-up and necking round the back of the toilets like they're footloose and fancy free.I'm afraid I just can't get behind it.It feels like we're meant to view them positively but it just feels shallow and ill-advised.I'd have much preferred them to stay friends.

Again, the "back in the bay" stuff was the best thing on offer while also getting the least screentime.We were that close to getting Ada Nicodemou and Socratis Otto in a scene together but we missed out.I'm willing to go with Robbo and Jasmine here, it makes a kind of sense for them to go back to where they were rather than trying to build their way up again, although it also feels like they've both got a lot of stuff to sort out still, so hopefully the counselling won't just be forgotten.

I'm hoping they pull a "You look familiar" with Socrattis/Ada should they meet (The one time one of these WOULDN'T be annoying)

Red, it could be worse. Deano and Zigs could be going full pelt in the stalls!

If Colby had marched Bella back it would have probably played out like Brad/Tam 2007 when he ordered her to "get back on the bed!" at the motel which led to an awkward scene w/ the cops! ?

That answered my question then about Jas' panic attacks, thanks girlie.  Willow knows the rules about alcohol in the house without Irene's OK and  'Irene' isn't about' is no excuse. I don't suppose we'll see how Jas manages to dump the empty bottles.  I seem to remember Willow saying her mum had left when she was young. Now her dad has Alzheimer's it must feel she's lost them both. Great girly ( no offence Willow & Jas) chat they had maybe revealing things they haven't told anyone before.  No mention of Willow's feelings friendly or otherwise about Dean though.  It was good to see Willow having another girl friend to talk about things with.

That explosion from Belle did come out of the blue but it must have been building up in her since she found out about what Colby did to Ross and all her fretting about the 'threat' Ziggy is to the family has been the final straw.  Colby took a chance calling her bluff like that, but seems he knows her better than she thought he did.  I'm not being dismissive but I thought she'd accepted what he had done and was OK with keeping it within the 'family'.  Is she afraid that if Dean did get with Ziggy, which is looking likely, he'll accidentally let slip what happened?  Dean's quiet word didn't go as planned because  as he told her if she did dub Colby in she'd have to include him in the murder too.  I have asked this before but now I think about it I don't think Bella had been found when Willow got together with Justin or we would have had the same upheaval we having now  as Willow would have been the one breaking up the family. Just because things aren't talked about doesn't mean there aren't there, people would be moaning on about the characters for ever banging on about whatever it is. One question - when is Colby going to be doing some actual policing - he seems to be having a lot of leave lately. 

May have been a combination of things, beautiful, untamed country round them, Ziggy being so happy and upbeat, Colby's words of essentially carp diem, hearing Paul's story that prompted Dean to 'pounce'.  Seems neither of them got much sleep and of course he got the silent treatment the next day.  I think he would have preferred a big row, more his style even knowing Ziggy's temper. Of course she was forced to talk to him later after Paul and Tania had decided to BBQ some prawns on their radiator and after that walk through whatever it was at the river. Out there in the middle of nowhere it's, if not really OK, to have mad passionate sex, but she did warn she's not in right frame of mind and I'm worried for and that  Dean he's going to get hurt again because it is all a rebound thing.   It's like she said they what will happen when they will have to go back to 'real life'.  Luckily only Colby saw them kissing the faces off each other.  Be interesting to see how Ben & Maggie react to the news Ziggy is dating Dean Thompson!  Btw why is it people seem to insist in using both his names when talking about him?

Paul's story brought Ziggy down to earth with a bump, just after she told him and Tania about her families relief at Maggie' being in remission from her cancer.   Still I'm glad they have decided not to cut them any slack when it comes to getting revenge.

Did I really hear Aiden say to Robbo he had trouble finding where the bay was? It  does throw into doubt our suspicion he is Robert.  Looking back on his last appearance it 'said' his character had doubts about his ability as a cop. Could he have left the force to become a counsellor, but why change his name?  He did give Robbo good advice, what he said was right, it's what he had gone through, and  I quote 'the good, the bad and the ugly' that has made him the man he is today and the man Jasmine fell in love with. More wise words about he wasn't responsible for his families death the guys who carried out were. He and Robbo were wandering pretty close to the Diner, Alf, Irene or Leah could have been about. I think they are the only ones who would remember him.:unsure:  The talk helped Robbo make the decision he did going to see Jasmine and I rather liked her proposal. That would be cheating us if we don't see more of Aiden/Robert. 

Archived