2019 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

Well, we definitely learned a great deal about Jasmine's past than we previously knew. I'm glad that they've given her a back story, because, while I really do like the character, when you come down to it, there's not a lot we knew about her. My heart broke for her this week, it really did and it really clears up the reasons for her recent actions, because, losing one parent through a tragic accident and then another abandoning her both at a very young age, you never really move on from that. It must have token some fierce strength from her to get on with her life, and being the overall nice person that she is. And also, as a side note, thinking way back to when she first arrived on the show, the overreaction she had to Kat's death in a car accident, given this new information, also makes a lot of sense, it may have brought up bad memories. Despite thinking that Tori very much deserved the snapping that Jasmine gave her at the diner, I liked how supportive Tori was of both her and Robbo. I'm glad that Jasmine finally opened up to Robbo, and hopefully this means that she'll try and receive help for this, and also hopefully, the rift between her and Robbo can be mended back once again. 

Meanwhile, I loved that Tori and Justin both pretended to be happy for Brody and Simone when they first said that they were moving, and then completely dropped the facade when they left. Though it does leave the question, why did they pretend to be accepting, if they were just going to try and talk Brody out of it in the next scene? Were they trying to spare Simone? Still, they did bring some very reasonable (and dare I say right) objections: Brody (and the rest of the family) put so much effort in getting Salt back, and he's throwing it all away, and it's hard to take him seriously when he says that this is the right thing to do for him, when it wasn't much long ago that he though Ziggy was the right thing. But Brody continues to be completely self-absorbed and refuses to listen, even though they're just concerned for him, and even has a go at Mason when he just approaches him. Ugh, the Brody I knew and loved is dead and now we have this impostor in his place (Yeah I'm seriously in denial here). It is a bit surprising to see Mason take his side here, but he does make a good point: it is his life and he can do what he wants, and if it fails (it probably won't but I honestly hope it does), Brody might actually learn from this. I'm not sure about the whole family dinner at the end, it does bring a nice touch, but it's kind of grating to see that the Morgans just accepting Brody and Simone as a normal couple. Though, family's got to look out for each other, I guess.

The fact that Justin and Leah feel like they can't properly talk to each other as friends anymore, I didn't previously think about that. While they were able to have some normal conversations during their arrangement, I guess that the whole thing can kind of become uncomfortable. As for their decision to become a couple, don't get me wrong, I'm happy that they're happy, but it would be nice to see a casual relationship being shown without it becoming serious. But I guess cracks have been shown, what with Justin a lot of the time acting like he wants more. Speaking of, I know I already said this, looks like with Brody going soon, Mason and Tori will have to start preparing a grave stone for Justin if history repeats itself! I wish we saw Raffy's reaction to them kissing at the diner, because out of her, Marilyn, Ryder and Ben, she was the only one of them who knew about the relationship. I was hoping for a supportive smile from her to them. 

And there's Bella. When she felt that it was her fault for Brody and Simone leaving, I did feel sorry for her, (while thinking it was a bit of an extreme reaction from her) and I was glad to see Raffy quickly make it clear that it wasn't. However, her behaviour and attitude today really tested me, though not entirely. She was very rude towards Roo who really is just trying to help, was acting way out of line in class and when she set off the fire alarm, wasting everyone's time, and almost made me feel sorry for Colby today (key word is almost). She needs to show a bit more patience and understanding towards the people who are taking the time out of their day to help her. However, I haven't totally gone off her yet, because I am bearing in mind that she has had it more difficult than most teenagers her age would (I mean, most teenagers in the Bay have already gone through something traumatic, but I digress), and that there's a wide variety of complex reasons as to why she's acting out. But seriously, she needs to grow out of this, and I think that the adults need to start wondering as to why she's acting like this (the fact that they aren't is another reason why I still feel a bit sympathetic towards Bella).  

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It isn’t often we get to see Mason play the peacemaker but he did a good job of it here, with some pointed remarks to Justin and Tori about following their own advice. It was also interesting to see Raffy’s reaction. It’s pretty obvious now that the show wants us to like Simone, but oddly their method for doing so seems to be to make us…not like Brody? It seemed like Brody was acting like a sulky teenager while Simone was seeing his family’s point of view, and it seems like it’s been that way for a few weeks now. He even snipes at Mason for no reason, which he did apologise for but only in an offhand way. (What did Mason want to talk to him about anyway?)

Colby advising Bella to ditch schoolwork and hang out with her friends was probably not the most responsible advice he could give. Yes, she needs friends, but she also needs to get her priorities straight. I did like the “make-up” scene between her and Raffy (especially since we didn’t really get one last week), but it feels like she’s turned down Roo’s offers of help because she thinks it’s more important to spend time with Raffy and Ryder. And then Colby completes his mission to screw up her priorities by stopping her spending time with her friends and pretty much literally dragging her back to school during recess (he didn’t even seem to know that she was meant to be meeting Roo). Then he manages to mess her up more by twice laying a guilt trip on her about making Simone resign, when everyone knows it was more complicated than that. It feels at times like he’s trying to be both the cool big brother and the “because I say so” authority figure. Roo did get a lot of attitude she didn’t deserve, although she didn’t help matters by putting Bella on the spot in class, which was always going to result either in her being humiliated or lashing out.

I think on the whole Leah and Justin did a good job at keeping the “friends” in “friends with benefits”, aside from a few wobbles, they’ve remained friendly and affectionate. But it is certainly true that their alone time seemed to consist solely of having sex instead of doing friend things, so they probably needed that chat. Leah was a bit inconsistent for a while but made her mind up in the end. I was disappointed too that we didn’t really get a reaction from Raffy, but Ryder’s reaction hammered home for me that I see Leah as more of a parent figure to him than Roo is these days.

Bella was acting like a spoiled 8yo. I had to Cheer for Colby when he got the siren going. If only he had driven slowly behind her with it blaring and ordering her to go back yelling "Get back to school" over the speakers! while she cringes and looks for a hole to die in ? That's something Joel probably would have done to Gypsy st one point! or Nick to Shane ?

Not all of Leah's men have died and looking on her profile there have been quite a  few aside from Vinnie and Dan , Roman, Hazem, Elijah, Robert Robertson, Miles, and Zac, then there was her crush on Brax!  I can understand her wariness about Justin wanting to take their FWB's a step further she hasn't been lucky on the relationship front.   She's also scared if they did get together and it went wrong their friendship could be ruined. Neat way of her asking Marilyn's advice saying it was for her vlog and Marilyn was so right with her answer you can't avoid getting into something just in case you may get hurt.  It was different with her and John, Gina hadn't long died and there was Jett's feelings to consider.  They have certainly had their ups and downs but they have weathered them.  VJ is an adult now though Justin has Ava but they know each other, they know each other's history so nasty surprises - we hope.  Justin hasn't had much luck in the relationship department either but he's wiling to go there. They haven't declared  undying for each other, just taking it slowly, at a snail's pace so said Leah, well that didn't last long!  Rather sweet Justin looking all awkward then Leah decides to snog the face off him much to the bemusement of Marilyn, Ben, Raffy, even though we didn't see her reaction and Ryder whose remark about how come he didn't see that coming made me smile.  :D  I think the rest of the Morgan's will be just as pleased. Though of course she doesn't really have a say, I wonder how Willow will take the news. Roo will be relieved she won't have to keep their secret under wraps any more.

I think Bella does blame herself for Simone going so that is why she is rebelling big time.  Roo is trying hard, maybe too hard, didn't help that she told Bella she wouldn't be able to give her as much time as Simone did but she'd fit her when she could. Bella trusted Simone now she will have to start from scratch. That was a big ask when Roo asked Bella what her thoughts were about why Australia got involved in the 1st World War, that would be way out of Bella's comfort zone be difficult enough for the other kids who hadn't revised up on it.   She is torn about wanting to learn and having to spend time away from Ryder & Raffy who are her only friends. I feel a bit sorry for Colby, he's not only having to get used to a normal teenagers stroppiness but Bella's extra problems on top of it.  Slightly reassuring Bella didn't have a melt down when Colby shouted at her and just behaved  like your usual teenager and stomped off to her room.

I must admit Bella's trying my patience a lot, but she's still got just about enough vulnerability to make me sympathise with her a bit.She has gone through yet another upheaval in a long line over the last few months: She's gone from spending all her time one-on-one with Simone to being plonked in a classroom with people she doesn't know and being totally out of her depth, meanwhile everyone keeps telling her it's important to have friends (and she's also enjoying having friends for once) but she can't spend time with them because what little time she had free Roo now wants to use for their sessions.I don't think Roo's really taking the right approach by apologising, but Bella's not giving her a chance so I'm not sure there's really anything she can do.And then we get Colby.Good grief.There are times when I really don't know what we're meant to think, as Colby the unrepentant murderer threatens to lock up a minor who apparently hasn't committed a crime because she won't do her homework, which has surely got to be illegal.Are we actually meant to be on his side or are we meant to think he shouldn't be doing that? Irene annoyed me as well, messing up Roo's chance to talk to Bella by gossiping about Leah and Justin.

Oh yes, Leah and Justin.Well we did finally get some proper, if brief, reaction from Raffy, along with her later scene from Justin.And the happy couple get to spend some time out and proud.(May I join in that toast to the purple dress?)Willow suddenly getting all doe-eyed about Justin when he's found someone else, coming so soon after her doing the same about Dean hanging out with Ziggy, increases the feeling that she only wants people when someone else wants them.

And Alf's back, for about a minute, but good to see him anyway.

Unfortunately, Bella is getting on my nerves.  It was her fault Simone left so I don't  have any sympathy that she feels lumbered with Roo.  Don't blame Maggie for suspending her for setting off the fire alarm as she needs discipline.

Willow's reaction to Justin and Leah was absolutely wonderful.?  Her conversation with Bella, fishing for information from Irene and telling Justin that's she's happy for him (when obviously she wasn't happy that he moved on) were hilarious.  Had to laugh at Leah saying Justin and Willow were together for a long time - right.  Found Irene quite annoying the way she was acting when she first heard the news from big mouth Marilyn.

Yes Bella is playing up but she has had a lot of upheaval in her young life, all set to have  settled family life with Colby & Chelsea - that got blown apart, put back into main stream school after having spent five years out of the loop so tons of catching up to do, just feeling comfortable with Simone then partly down to her she quit, Simone did tell her there were other factors, so having to start again with Roo, who I do feel isn't as into it as she should be. Bella does feel she is being prevented from being with Raffy & Ryder, who it appears didn't know she set off the fire alarm.  Instead of impressing Raffy though it has upset her as she had to miss an appointment with her maths teacher to go through her work, she dashed off when Roo challenged Bella the later  Ryder made his excuses to go home when Colby came home.  Maggie had no choice really but to suspend Bella, but maybe she didn't think it through, OK she's 16, but  her being at home all day isn't going to help her learn anything which maybe was the idea and as Colby said he's got to go to work and in her present mood he can't trust her not to get up to mischief.  I think Colby threatening to put Bella in the cells was him at the end of his tether, she's refusing to do the homework she's been set, what happens if he's sent out on  call?  I think there is part of her that wants to conform, but she's forging a rebel without a cause role for herself and maybe doesn't want to back down.:unsure:  Even Willow couldn't get through to her and who in return was knocked back by Bella's own shock news.  Her response puzzled me though - "which one?".  Which one did she think, Brody's got his new lady and Mason is too young so it had to be Justin.

Both Ryder and Marilyn were taken aback by the fact Raffy already knew about Justin & Leah so won't be long I guess before Mason & Tori are let in on the non-secret.   I did smile at Raffy's pleas about them toning down the PDA's.  See like me Justin wondered what happened to Leah's request they take it slowly.:wink:  I liked Leah in that lilac dress she was wearing earlier, she's got an amazing figure.  The look on Irene's face when she saw Justin & Leah though the window was priceless. Her bubble of passing on the good news was burst somewhat by Roo admitting she already knew. Why was Marilyn a big mouth - it wasn't  a secret by then.

Though I don't think Willow wants Justin back and their break up was mutual and quite amicable compared to some, she must have still felt a twinge that he had moved on and of what might have been.  I wondered about the 'been together a long time' comment, only about a year wasn't it on and off?:unsure:  Justin did tell Leah most of his time with Willow was spent looking out for her and keeping her out of trouble instead of just being  a couple. 

Hi big man - good to see you back.  Just turning up like that what did you expect, Ryder and Roo both had to go to school - plenty of time for a catch up later and there's plenty  of catching up to do.  I guess Leah will have to ask Alf if it is OK for Justin to spend the night now and again, separate bedrooms of course.:wink:

Okay, what just happened?

Willow's behaviour was just plain weird, considering not long ago she was saying that she thought that Dean was the one for her, so why is she upset about Justin? I guess that at her conversation near the end about how she has no luck with men, but still weird. 

I'm glad we saw Raffy's response to Justin and Leah's kiss, and I loved Roo's banter with Leah. Despite my previous belief that a further exploration of a casual relationship would be nice, it was also nice to see Justin and Leah being open and proud of their relationship. Good for them, I mean that. 

She's still adjusting to everything, so she still has some sympathy, but seriously, Bella really needs to check the attitude. Roo actually apologised and actually tried to figure her out, but instead Bella just blew her off. And what makes it even worse was the news of Raffy's assignment being delayed, showing that other people were affected by Bella and yet she still doesn't care, as her conversation with Willow showed. Maggie's decision to suspend Bella, while the proper response, I'm less sure if it will actually solve the problem. But in any case, it's better than Colby's approach. Cause I mean.... ugh, what the hell? He's seriously going to put her in a cell? Seriously? Bella, a victim of mental abuse and was mentally held hostage by a murderer, and yet he's pretty much threatening to lock her up? Colby, listen, you presumably have a brain in that head of yours, Use it! Even if we pass that (which is a big if), is he even allowed to leave her in the station, let alone the cell? What the hell would he tell McCarthy? What if they Why doesn't he call Willow to look after her, or Dean, we haven't seen him in ages, I mean what's he doing that he can't look after Bella? Are we supposed to be rooting for Colby right now, because if anything, all he's doing is make me feel more sympathy for Bella. Ugh. That was deeply frustrating. 

The only plus side was that Alf returned, and I did feel sorry for him just coming back only for Roo and Ryder to just walk out the door. 

On 09/06/2019 at 15:43, H&Alover said:

Not all of Leah's men have died and looking on her profile there have been quite a  few aside from Vinnie and Dan , Roman, Hazem, Elijah, Robert Robertson, Miles, and Zac, then there was her crush on Brax! 

Yeah, of course, you're right, all those men got off lucky. I was just joking with Justin possibly dying to the Leah curse, but of course, it's possible that he makes it out alive. I was just kidding! ?

Archived