2019 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

On ‎11‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 13:55, H&Alover said:

Her response puzzled me though - "which one?".  Which one did she think, Brody's got his new lady and Mason is too young so it had to be Justin.

Ahem? Did I miss it being written into law that a guy in his 20s can't date a 40-year-old?

So...I'm guessing from the ending of today that we were meant to be on Colby's side, even if not necessarily agreeing with how he was handling things.Which is a shame because I found him disgustingly smug in the first half of the episode, culminating in his utter lack of shame at the fact that he's the reason Bella doesn't have a dad: He almost seemed to enjoy taunting her, which made me frustrated that she later apologised. And the whole set-up was ridiculous: I'm astonished the police tolerated Colby having his teenage sister at the station arguing with him in full view of any member of the public that came in (plus I'm not entirely sure his threats to handcuff her to a chair were a bluff).Also, the usual weird timeline was in place, with Bella seemingly having done her homework before anyone else had gone to work or school.But anyway, Dean manages to step in and get her to open up by virtue of not trying to be an authority figure that she has to listen to.And I wonder if she sensed that Raffy and Ryder weren't as impressed with her as she hoped they'd be, for all Ryder's attempts at peacekeeping.Still, the solution seemed very unsatisfactory.It would surely be a better use of time to have Roo spend time with Bella during her suspension rather than leaving her at home to get bored.Maybe that's not entirely practical since Roo has classes at school, but the whole thing about arranging a tutoring session when she comes back felt like "And that's your episodes used up, so we'll continue this storyline next week."

Alf really didn't do a good job of handling things, hiding Martha's phone calls and pushing Ryder out of the house.So it's probably good Martha just cut to the chase.Meanwhile, I guess it was inevitable Mason would come unstuck in his illegal cannabis trial eventually, and of course it happens right as he seemed to finally be getting his life back on track.At least he had some nice scenes with Raffy first!

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've really enjoyed the medicinal cannabis storyline and it has been portrayed very well.  I'm on Team Mason.  The evidence speaks for itself.  I get that his siblings are concerned about what could have happened to Raffy but a little more support would be nice, especially from Tori, who really should be more understanding.  Mason was genuinely prepared to give up his whole future to help Raffy have a better quality of life and that says so much.

I enjoyed Alf and Roo's chat.

Poor Ziggy.  Every time she gets to a better place, Brody does something to knock her back again.  I'm still not a massive fan of the character but Sophie really makes you empathise with her.

Oh, Mason.I like the guy, so I'm going to be on his side, but he knew there were consequences to this if he got found out.I really hope he doesn't go to jail for what's more or less a victimless crime when others get away with worse, and this does feel like another case where good people confess and get punished, while people who deserve it more just go on lying.But I'm holding out hope for him.That said, I don't blame Tori and Justin's reactions at all.Because yes, the trial worked, and he did his best to make it safe, but it might not have been and it's just luck that it turned out okay.(If you ignore Raffy being made ill by a double dose, that is.)I'm glad that once the initial anger faded, his family are all on his side supporting him.And I think Tori's chat with Raffy, realising Raffy doesn't see herself as a victim in all this, may have gone a way.It's hard to imagine Raffy's involvement not coming out some time, but Brody's probably right to think it'd make things worse.(Raffy still 15.It's been over a year and a half now.)

Well, Alf and Martha's coming out was awkward.To be honest, while the odd acknowledgement that she existed would be nice, I don't really see Alf saying that he's always loved Martha as some great betrayal of Ailsa's memory.Would it be if Martha really was dead?Would it be an insult to Marilyn if John said he'd never stopped loving Gina? It's ironic that for years the opposite was true: Alf always talked of Ailsa as the great love of his life, ignoring the fact that he was married to someone else and had a child with her. Well, now we know the answer: That love was always tainted by the knowledge she'd faked her death to get away from him, but perhaps it was still there.And talking of coming out, I guess the rest of Justin's family found out about Leah off screen.At least we got to see some sort of reaction from Tori, unlike with Brody and Mason.

To be brutal, I guess Brody and Ziggy do need to discuss divorce at some point.At least Ziggy has something else to focus on.I like to think if it had come down to a straight choice between her and Salt, Brody would have chosen her, but I can see why him giving it up for Simone would give her doubts.

I know there is no law against a 20 something bloke getting together with a 40ish woman (or the other way round for that matter) but I don't think Leah would be comfortable with it and I can't see her going there at all. Tori's reaction to Justin and Leah's PDA was just like Raffy's -  only funnier coming from an adult.:lol:

All the warning signs were there really when Mason got the news he'd been given another crack at the internship at ND hospital and had been offered an interview.  He must have been pretty high on their list of 'not quite made it this time' for them to consider him again.  The Morgan's aren't meant to be happy for long are they?  The cops must have had their eyes on the growers/suppliers for a while to catch Mas out like that.  Without involving Raffy  there wasn't any explanation Mason could offer. I can see why he called Brody, OK he was angry, but was more reasonable than Justin would have been.  Mason knew from the beginning it could go pear shaped, even if he does escape jail that must be the end of his medical career. Seemed Raffy was in need of another dose she was a bit twitchy towards the end causing her to run off like she did when Mason confessed all - well nearly all - Tori, Justin and Brody don't know there is a chemical lab set up in their garage - which would rebound in spectacular  fashion on them if it was found.  Justin even though like the most of us  have a very low medical knowledge  took the time to read Mason's notes on his treating of Raffy and realised just how meticulous  he'd been.  Tori wasn't at all interested tad blinkered there methinks. In the eyes of the law it doesn't matter that Raffy was all for it, she is a minor - yes still only 15- and supplying to a minor brings an even heavier sentence. Are they, Mason and Raffy, going to keep Ryder's name out of it?  I love how he defended what he had done to Tori and said he'd do it again because family came first.  Just how long were Brody and Raffy on the beach, it was daylight when he caught up with her yet dark when they returned home???:unsure:  Btw Simone while you two are still in the bay you're going have to get used to Brody dashing off when another Morgan crisis occurs.

I think Willow's reaction to hearing about Leah & Justin then seeing them together  was quite normal, it hasn't been that long and even if it was amicable though she dumped him still got be a twinge of 'if only' there.  Has there been any hint of Willow and Colby ever being an item or are they just genuine friends or would that be weird them being a couple? 

Of course Colby was joking when he threatened Bella with locking her in the cells, his colleagues would have had something to say about it - McCarthy must have had the day off - pretty sure he wouldn't have OK'd a bring your sister to work day, was that the same day or the next day - days and time can be a bit elastic in the bay -  see above. Colby wasn't that smart, he let her keep her phone so she could call Dean and tell him she was being kept prisoner.  Dean at least had his sensible head on telling both of them to keep it down, though it didn't stop him having  a smirk.  Methinks Bella  wasn't able to shout back at her dad where with Colby she can and does.  Colby, however high handed he's behaved  didn't deserve her comparing him to Ross, he is in his own ham fisted way trying to look out for her and do his best.  Dean to the rescue again, it was his idea she nicked about fire alarm, reckon he didn't do it in front of teachers though, she's got hell of a memory.  He's really into reverse kidology isn't he by playing it all down gets her to see she was going at it all wrong, both her and Colby are stubborn types neither wanting to back down. He got it right when he said to Colby the more he nagged the more she'd dig her heels in.  Colby swallowed his pride and tackled the problem from a different angle and asked Bella what would their mum suggest to do in this situation.  Bella then had to admit she was bored as during the day Raffy and Ryder were at school and she was just drifting about , she seem to catch on Raffy made a not too subtle escape as did Ryder neither of them wanting to hurt Bella's feelings by saying they needed time alone  or to study. At least if - when - she goes back to school she can see them during breaks.   Bella was a lot calmer and more amiable when she, Colby and Roo talked at Salt, liked her honesty when she said she couldn't promise to be the  model pupil but she would give it her best.

I was wondering if Dean had any of that money left  his dad gave him and seems he has still hidden n the blanket box in his van,  using it to buy stuff for the car Ziggy is doing up, though I'd be like her and want to pay my way on it.  Did Ziggy suffer from momentary blindness because she walked straight by the For Sale sign outside the Surf Club and only when she changed places when talking to Dean did she see it over his shoulder. I guess the 'd' word will have to be discussed between Ziggy and Brody, does make it final though and while it hasn't come up before now Ziggy has been able to put it to the back of her mind but you can't ignore it hoping it will go away.

Alf was being cagey I guess until he could  break it to Roo first then bring Martha in, he just didn't get the chance.  It certainly would have been one hell of a shock for her especially as Marilyn and others knew they had been getting closer when she was there but it wasn't their place to say anything, Marilyn in particular, if you remember, was very discreet. I can see Alf's reasoning why he hadn't told the truth about where he had really been, he didn't want to build her hopes up and Martha said the same thing.   I'm with you Red, there isn't anything wrong with Alf saying he'd always  loved Martha, Ailsa would have known that, doesn't mean he loved Ailsa any less, just as Marilyn knows  a part of John  will always love Gina.  We all know what Alf is like when it comes to him showing or expressing his feelings, he mourned Martha for years then felt betrayed when he found out the truth all those years ago, it was easier, for him, to hate her.

John is getting on my nerves more than he is Jett's.  At least Marilyn has the common sense to see what Jett needs.

It was good to see Ziggy and Brody discuss their situation without any drama and it makes me sad to think about what might have been.

The positive was somewhat spoilt for me by the (admittedly short) appearance of Simone, the direct reason that this is all happening.  I do actually like her character and I think she would be a great addition to the cast under different circumstances (being, as Emily says, not the usual type of H&A girl) but I can't help thinking that it seems grossly unfair that she has got exactly what she wants but it is what it is.   

4 minutes ago, baywatcher said:

John is getting on my nerves more than he is Jett's.  At least Marilyn has the common sense to see what Jett needs.

It was good to see Ziggy and Brody discuss their situation without any drama and it makes me sad to think about what might have been.

The positive was somewhat spoilt for me by the (admittedly short) appearance of Simone, the direct reason that this is all happening.  I do actually like her character and I think she would be a great addition to the cast under different circumstances (being, as Emily says, not the usual type of H&A girl) but I can't help thinking that it seems grossly unfair that she has got exactly what she wants but it is what it is.   

Maybe Jett may "accidentally" roll over his foot with chair and we get cuts away to the School bell ringing to mask John's "Sailor Talk"! triggered by the pain release. ?

I'm inclined to agree with Ben that, for the first time in a long time, Brody was actually trying to do the right thing by Ziggy.And it was nice to see them have a semi-calm discussion for the first time since the break-up. In the end, Ziggy got to make the choice herself and it almost didn't matter what the choice was.Don't you have to be married a year (if not more?) to get a divorce though? We are close to that, to be fair, but not quite there yet.I'm also not convinced by the whole "Brody and Simone, together forever" thing either.Brody says that he and Ziggy wanted different things, but has he even asked Simone if she wants a home and family?

John's sudden smothering of Jett seems to have come out of nowhere a bit.Last week he seemed to be aware that Jett needed goals and was in danger of slipping into depression if he didn't feel worthwhile.Here, he's suddenly doing every little thing for him and wheeling him everywhere, when Jett's been capable of wheeling himself all along.It's almost as if, with Alf back, he's handed over the wise elder statesman baton and now gets to act like an idiot.

I was slightly annoyed by Tori's initial comments about Robbo going to a counsellor, it felt like a case of "He wouldn't go to a counsellor for me so he won't for you", although she did then encourage him to go.Jasmine does need to talk to someone so it's good she's going to.

Archived