2019 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oooh, the first to comment on a new season! Yay me! ?

Actually I have two questions, from last 'year' (which was last week, but you know); When the celebrant was saying that all at the wedding was Colby and Chelsea's closest friends, was anyone else thinking: Where were the guys from the cops? I know that Cops and River boys don't usually tend to interact outside the station, but seriously, Colby and Chelsea made no friends there? What about poor Murray, the guy that has covered for Colby more times than he deserved? Secondly, when Colby and Chelsea were out on the pier watching the sunrise and Chelsea resting against Colby's chest, was anyone else reminded of VJ and Billie's final scene at the beach from 2017? 

And now this 'year'...

Well, Ross has proved as much of a scumbag than we already thought he was. He seemed not only dangerous and controlling, but actually slightly deranged when he was making lies of Colby to Bella. Makes the fact that she spent at least (correct me if I'm wrong) 17 years with him even more discomforting. Chelsea wasn't exactly as gentle as she should be with Bella in the car, at least Willow was trying to keep the girl calm. And for all my complaining about him last year, I couldn't do the same this time with Colby going on his own, because really this time, he doesn't have a choice, with Ross holding all the cards here this time. And with his threats of no police, I couldn't say that I'd handle things differently from Colby. And Ross making him choose between his sister and his wife, made me sympathise more with Colby, this is probably the most hardest choice anyone could make, I couldn't even imagine what that must feel like. And Willow was shot! By friendly-fire no less! Poor Bella's going to have a  lot of trouble dealing with this emotionally and poor Dean as well. Him almost breaking down was very hard to see. 

Meanwhile, Brody's suffering guilt but I have more sympathy for the poor worker who was almost going to clean up the food Brody threw aside than I do for actually Brody. The fact that he continues to lie behind Ziggy's back and acts so normally around them, is very disheartening and disturbing. It's like I'm watching a whole new character here. And Simone still doesn't take the hint and wants to see Brody again! This storyline is the worse, and again, I hope that they get caught out soon. Preferably by Ben. Oh, and Maggie got a new hairdo, or wig? Could someone correct me on this?

The only light in this episode were Robbo and Jasmine, and that's not saying much with Tori's news threatening everything. And she still wants to keep it secret! She has to know there's no chance of Robbo not finding out forever, but she seems to believe that the longer she strings this out, the more okay he and Jasmine will be with it? Very confusing logic, but unfortunately she's set with it and now it appears that Leah has taken Justin's role of a reluctant secret-keeper. On the plus side, Jasmine and Robbo were sweet together, and while Jasmine may have been a bit over the top, but then again, that's what happens when one is engaged, I suppose. And I love that it's Alf that gets told first, and that Leah and Jasmine's friendship is remembered with their hug. 

Another question, if I may, I was looking at the other topics in the General Discussion, and the UK episode discussion from 2006 to 2017 were all grouped up together. So why is 2018 and 19 being separate? Will it be this way for the future, or will it grouped up again in a few years? If I may ask. 

So here we are with the 2019 season, only three weeks after Australia, although the typically erratic Channel 7 schedule means we're currently 18 episodes behind.

It's probably best not to think too hard about Ross' plan...so I'm going to do exactly that.Was the plan always to make Colby choose between Bella and Chelsea?If so, he must have got really lucky driving up and down that road in the limo.I think I'm going to assume that Plan A was just to kidnap Chelsea, and possibly Colby too rather than using Chelsea as bait, kill them, convince Bella they'd left her and get her to come away with him. When Bella got in the limo as well, he probably decided to improvise.(Willow seems to have been incidental.)It may explain why he apparently only brought two bullets.I can't blame Colby too much for going off his own, although it's telling Dean was the one who suggested calling the police (even if the River Boys were his first choice): It increasingly feels like he's the level-headed one and Colby's the hot-head.Still, I did respect Colby for refusing to play Ross' game and making a choice.After sixteen years of keeping Bella on side, Ross is definitely letting the mask slip all of a sudden: Nice that Bella was the one that tackled him and probably saved Colby's life in the process, even if it did result in Willow catching a stray bullet.(Really not her day, as Bella and Chelsea abandon her to fight Ross on her own while making a complete hash of escaping.)

Brody's disappointing me: I'm not saying he's ever been a saint, but I don't recall him doing something like this without being on drugs before.(And he and Ziggy were on-and-off for more than a year!)Simone seems to have completely abandoned her claim of not wanting to break up a marriage, as she seemingly encourages Brody to break up with Ziggy.I did appreciate that they did the cliche of Brody knocking a collander over in anger, then had a Salt extra come in and quickly make himself scarce!

So Tori's taking the cowardly route of continuing to hide things from Robbo. I guess she's justifying it to herself by thinking that she announced her pregnancy before and everyone got upset when she lost it, so if she loses it this time then she's spared Robbo the hurt if he doesn't know.There is sense in that, but if she does get past twelve weeks, it's going to make the betrayal seem even bigger.

D.B., it was decided this time last year to move over to dedicated threads for each season rather than have an indefinite UK Discussion thread.

I kind of liked that long-sss thread ? A decade worth of discussions Ah, well.

Would have enjoyed a lot more last night if Colby/Dean /Ross/Girls was the SOLE event. There are times when I don't mind Isolated EPs with one central theme, got miffed by the cuts back to the rest of the bay "action".

D.B. Bella was with Ross for six years  - five on her own after he killed her mum.  Also Colby and SG just wanted it to be family - actually only Bella - and close friends as in Dean & Willow, the River Boys were there, I think, as they set up the venue. 

Colby reacted the same as anyone would, even a cop,  when told someone is holding your  loved ones hostage and you are to come alone - no cops!  Just a coincidence that Dean was standing beside him when Colby rang SG's phone and Ross answered.  Not saying Dean doesn't care about Bella or SG but they are Colby's sister and wife respectively even if Willow has also been kidnapped so why, possibly, he was the calmer one again. He did once again cautioned Colby about leaping out of the car once they found the limo. I did wonder where Willow was because the last time we saw her she was at the back of the car then we saw her tied to the front bumper.  Good on her she did fight back in an attempt that  SG and Bella could get away so I saw that differently from you Red, he fired into the air and said the next one was for Willow if they didn't come back.   Bella tried so hard to persuade Ross that if he let the others go she'd go with him, then he goes and proves how much a loving father he really is - not -  by asking Colby to chose who he should shoot.  Colby took a real chance by lunging at Ross and so awful that Willow got shot when Ross' arm was knocked up.  Now he's used up his two bullets he's had to make a run for it.  Big risk him only having two bullets so he didn't allow for any unforeseen circumstances not as clever as he though he was.  Btw another high speed chase by Dean & Colby, did they learn nothing from last time?   More drama tonight.

Had to chuckle at how excited Jasmine was over her engagement while Robbo was more laid back about it.  Good to see everyone they told were so happy for them, even Dean's comment about 'it's catching' was meant lightheartedly.  Btw good scenes of him and Colby having their last surf, though as it turned out not in the way they thought it would be. Even Brody put aside his own 'romantic' worries long enough to make them up a picnic hamper. It's great seeing Robbo so happy after all he has been through.

Yes another excuse from Tori as to why she couldn't possibly tell Robbo now he's got engaged and burst his bubble, not to mention Jasmine's.:rolleyes:  Again she was questioning herself about what had she done - too late now love. OK fair enough, or not, Leah has agreed not to say anything to anyone, as she, Tori, will speak up after the 12 week scan,  meant to be the safe point, but still no guarantees, but Justin knew Tori had gone ahead and had the implant so he's going to be asking if it worked, what's she going to say?  Awful position to put Leah in.

Don't forget Red, the main reason Brody & Ziggy were on and off was down to Ben banning Brody from seeing Ziggy while he was coming off the drugs.  Brody did stop seeing her voluntarily as it was part of the programme.  They did make sure they wanted to be together for the right reasons.  Is it love Brody is in or lust? If lust then at least man up and tell Simone and let the girl walk away. Wouldn't have helped Brody's conscious any more when we saw in the trailer Ben admitting he'd been wrong about him and how pleased he was seeing how happy Ziggy was.  May have been a big waste of food but better than Brody punching someone. Ziggy is only just getting over her misgivings over Simone.

Yes D.B.  Maggie's hair, I'm sure she said a few weeks ago it was her own hair which was just growing again and last we saw it in the Aus finale week, it was a neat little crop, now it's long enough for it to have flick ups - gosh that dates me!  Slip up by continuity/make up departments during the break? 

Btw I did like the impromptu dance between John & Marilyn the other night, made Alf a little wistful, is that why we saw Martha in the 'coming up' trailer?

H&Alover: Bella is sixteen.She lived with Ross for sixteen years.

I'm getting increasingly frustrated at the River Boy shenanigans.Chelsea and Bella were the heroes here, the ones saving lives, and Chelsea was the one supporting Bella while Colby was off doing his gang stuff.I can't help thinking it might have been better if Dean had stayed and helped Willow instead of chasing after Colby, then Colby would have been left standing in the road stomping his foot like the incompetent idiot he is, instead of deciding to put yet more lives at risk with a high speed chase to demonstrate he's learned nothing in the past six years.Again, Dean is the one suggesting calling the police while Colby is just after revenge. Of course, Ross fails the competency test as well: Even with his car stuck (although it looked like he might have fared better if he'd put it in forward), he has a gun and Colby and Dean are pretty much sitting ducks, but instead he decides to try and outrun two younger and fitter men while dropping the gun for them to retrieve.It's like he wants to lose.

Of course, I don't expect any better from Colby by now, so perhaps Brody was even more frustrating.I know Ziggy's been acting like a bit of an idiot lately, but she hasn't done anything to deserve this, and especially doesn't deserve to be left feeling like Brody's behaviour is her fault.She thought Simone's behaviour didn't matter because she could trust Brody, but apparently she can't.Brody seems to know on one level what the right thing is, telling Simone it'll be best if she leaves town, but then he's arranging to meet up for another quickie, with Simone's moral high ground having gone from shaky to non-existent by now.

Despite the serious nature of the storyline Tori is still cracking me up.  Her reaction and facial expressions when Jasmine told her and Leah she was getting engaged were hilarious.  And I think she will keep delaying telling Robbo about the pregnancy for as long as possible.  At least until she's past the point where she can't abort the baby.

Thought Brody was going to do a full on Gordon Ramsey.  So Ziggy is celebrating being a couple for a year on the however-many-months-they've-been-married wedding anniversary.  Ziggy's so happy, Ben admits he was wrong about Brody.  Oh boy, this is going to end really badly.  I do actually feel a bit sorry for her because she isn't really doing anything wrong.  Just trying to be a wife.

So Simone was a lot better than she was last week and she seemed more like the person I actually quite liked when she first turned up.  I do think she and Brody could have been quite good together and if Brody was simply going out with Ziggy, I would have been rooting for them but I can't whilst he's married.  Shame really because given this predicament everybody loses.  Simone can't be with Brody, Brody can't be with Simone and Ziggy's been screwed over again.

Had to laugh at Ross's line to Chelsea "No  wonder you married the idiot.  You don't shut up either".  - Yep.  Found Colby's losing it funny after Ross drove away initially when Colby chased him.  I did quite enjoy the car chase scenes although the whole thing very much reminded me of Brax on a mission.

Thought it was a turn up for the books Dean trying to talk Colby out of shooting Ross given how he wanted to get the 'boys' to deal with him after he found out he killed Colby's mother.  Have to admit that was pretty cold blooded the way Colby just shot Ross like that.  Initially I was surprised he and Dean just decided to torch the body as I thought they were just going to leave him there but at least they have done a Robbo and tried to dispose of it.  I'm not happy that Dean is now an accessory.  So Colby starts married life as a murderer.  I'm still a little shocked with the whole thing.  Just the manner they dealt with the aftermath.  People are going to start wondering if Ross really did get away.  I mean even John immediately questioned whether Colby and Dean would go after him.  And Chelsea is extremely suspicious and already questioning their story.

As annoying as I find Coco generally, I don't agree with Maggie immediately forbidding her to take the scholarship without even discussing it properly.  Although this seems very similar to when Maggie rejected Roo's offer to teach abroad a few weeks ago.

Will be interesting to see what happens with Alf and Martha.

40 minutes ago, Slade said:
Despite the serious nature of the storyline Tori is still cracking me up.  Her reaction and facial expressions when Jasmine told her and Leah she was getting engaged were hilarious.  And I think she will keep delaying telling Robbo about the pregnancy for as long as possible.  At least until she's past the point where she can't abort the baby.

Thought Brody was going to do a full on Gordon Ramsey.  So Ziggy is celebrating being a couple for a year on the however-many-months-they've-been-married wedding anniversary.  Ziggy's so happy, Ben admits he was wrong about Brody.  Oh boy, this is going to end really badly.  I do actually feel a bit sorry for her because she isn't really doing anything wrong.  Just trying to be a wife.

So Simone was a lot better than she was last week and she seemed more like the person I actually quite liked when she first turned up.  I do think she and Brody could have been quite good together and if Brody was simply going out with Ziggy, I would have been rooting for them but I can't whilst he's married.  Shame really because given this predicament everybody loses.  Simone can't be with Brody, Brody can't be with Simone and Ziggy's been screwed over again.

Had to laugh at Ross's line to Chelsea "No  wonder you married the idiot.  You don't shut up either".  - Yep.  Found Colby's losing it funny after Ross drove away initially when Colby chased him.  I did quite enjoy the car chase scenes although the whole thing very much reminded me of Brax on a mission.

Thought it was a turn up for the books Dean trying to talk Colby out of shooting Ross given how he wanted to get the 'boys' to deal with him after he found out he killed Colby's mother.  Have to admit that was pretty cold blooded the way Colby just shot Ross like that.  Initially I was surprised he and Dean just decided to torch the body as I thought they were just going to leave him there but at least they have done a Robbo and tried to dispose of it.  I'm not happy that Dean is now an accessory.  So Colby starts married life as a murderer.  I'm still a little shocked with the whole thing.  Just the manner they dealt with the aftermath.  People are going to start wondering if Ross really did get away.  I mean even John immediately questioned whether Colby and Dean would go after him.  And Chelsea is extremely suspicious and already questioning their story.

As annoying as I find Coco generally, I don't agree with Maggie immediately forbidding her to take the scholarship without even discussing it properly.  Although this seems very similar to when Maggie rejected Roo's offer to teach abroad a few weeks ago.

Will be interesting to see what happens with Alf and Martha.

I don't think they did torch the body. They've buried him in the grave and burned the car with so the other evidence. It looks to be a very shallow grave he's buried in so I'm sure he'll turn up at some point, probably when either one of the boys chose to leave.

You know the worst thing? I'm not even shocked. The show's been promoting the idea of vigilante-style "executions" as okay for quite a while now: When Andy did it, that was a shocking line, and the way things ended for him gave me hope that the show had realised they'd gone too far.But given that we've now had Robbo killing Novak instead of handing him over to the police and it being whitewashed as "self-defence" with no consequences, I wouldn't be at all surprised if there's no fallout for Colby and Dean at all and we seem them both heading off into the sunset in three years' time.Remember when Charlotte King accidentally killed someone and buried them in a shallow grave and was treated like a monster? Now it's apparently okay if you're a main character and you haven't killed anyone that actually "matters".Colby's initial desire to turn himself in vanished quickly, and Dean was all business after his failed attempt to talk Colby down and covering up the evidence.I can't even sympathise with Bella, who even after all this is still covering her own back and using aggression to cover up the fact she knew Ross was in town, as she goes from living with the man that murdered her mother to living with the man that murdered her father.The overall feeling is that Neil was spot on: Chelsea's married into a family of lowlifes and criminals.Colby might say some pretty words about what a good, law-abiding man his biological father was, but deep down they're both Ross' children.Colby must be the worst police officer not to be an out-and-out villain: Even Kat and Charlie never did anything this bad. And again, we've got the gang storylines running alongside the ordinary seaside town characters who insist on acting as though someone getting shot or kidnapped is a shocking event rather than Tuesday.

I did feel a bit for Justin feeling he couldn't be at the hospital.Obviously he and Willow aren't together anymore, and it was right that he stepped aside for Dean, but I assume they're still friends so I hope he does go back to check on her at some point.I liked seeing Mason in Supportive Brother mode, I'm not sure if he's had to take on that role with Justin before, but then it's not like Tori or Brody's going to be the level-headed one at the moment.

Maggie sadly seems to have reverted to her pre-cancer personality, laying down the law and believing she knows what's best for everyone.A shame because Coco was the most likeable she's been in, well, at least a week or so here.

Let's see: Charlotte exacerbated her situation and Denny was innocent. Ross had it coming and would most likely have iced Colby and/or Dean ("It was either Him or Us") or it would have been a rehash of Phelan/Andy/Vinnie on Corrie.

Still this show's Moral compass is warped.

Also new drinking game: Down a Jager everytime Colby says "Dammit!" ?

Archived