2019 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

I don't think Ziggy is really into her bad behaviour, it's as she said to Dean, it stops her thinking about what has happened for  a few hours but of course once the partying and drinking stops it comes back complete with hangover.  The banter between her and the leader of the out of town gang started off very light but he wanted it to be a lot more that that, did notice at least one woman with them, was she just of the crew?  Dean was quite subtle by the way he kept an eye on Ziggy.  Natch it had to turn nasty later when that guy, I didn't catch his name, made his move and Ziggy did shut him down, but he wouldn't take no for an answer, Dean did a good job by just leading her away and alone she was grateful for it, but got all bolshy back at the Surf Club.  The only bad thing we have seen Dean do was when he was leading the River Boys in the hunt for Robbo, he's, apart from a few lapses, scamming the credit cards etc,  has been a decent guy and has turned his life round. Whether he is still a River Boy or a part time one, he may have been able to take on two - at a  push three of them - but a whole gang of them!  I think, if I remember correctly, the RB's did have a code of looking out for their women or any woman. It seems he manages to limp back to town though.

Having  being exonerated from any blame  is one thing off Jett's  mind, just his recovery to concentrate on, has he been back to the gym at all? It's really tough for Marilyn and John they are no experts, like a lot of parents, glad John rang the padre to ask advice even if Jett wasn't in the mood to accept it then.  Marilyn gave  wise advice all they can do is take one day at a time, he can't see it now but of course he can get a job, he still has use of his arms, he's not brain damaged and can live independently plenty of guys and gals in his position have done so.  I like the chat between him and Irene and the gripe about the milk shakes at the base not being worthy of the name.  Ok he wants to move out to give John & Marilyn their lives back but as for them stopping worrying about him, no way would that happen! John having a few hours to himself, even if it was work,  did help as does Marilyn putting in her shifts at the Diner, like respite care in reverse.

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know, the more they try and show us what a great guy Dean is, the more I'm left thinking what an idiot he is.Was there any reason other than macho pride for him not to go to hospital?Was there any reason other than not wanting to ruin his image (and maybe wanting as little to do with them as possible since he's covering up a murder) for him not to involve the police?Ben just accepts it all with a blase "It's his call." Maggie did at least behave how a normal person would and only backed off when there was a way to make it work for her.It just felt like a lot of rather contrived decisions (good job Dean was dumped on the exact road between town and the farm, hey?) to give us that sequence of Ziggy having to tend to Dean's wounds.Which, if it does make her stop and think about how her actions affect others rather than just ploughing ahead doing whatever she wants, isn't a bad thing I guess.

I can understand John and Marilyn being concerned, but by interfering the way they did and possibly being responsible for Jett losing out on a place to stay, they're just taking what little control he has away from him. Mason handled things well, being open to compromise but also knowing when to pull Jett back.

That is soap land for you, stretching our credulity to it's limits!   How many times have there been such coincidences where so and so  just happens to overhear something, be in the right place at the right time, come by at the right time as Ben did last night.  Yes Dean was a right twonk for not going to a hospital, all he needed to say was he'd been jumped, the guys have left town anyway and I don't think anyone knew where they had come from - city probably.  So what if the cops had interviewed him, hospital weren't obliged to report it, no gun involved, he'd just needed to repeat his story.  Wouldn't have dented his machoness any, even Brax and Heath admitted defeat and got themselves patched up in hospital.  Ben was right he couldn't force Dean to go to hospital, he couldn't  drag him there. Colby knows now anyway thanks to Ben telling him and Willow which btw was a very good reason for not showing up for his shift. Shame that Willow feels - imo -she can't rush round to look after him like she would  have before her declaration of 'undying love'.  She thinks it would make it awkward and he, Dean, may think she had ulterior motives. I thought she had put the phone down on Ziggy but she'd just handed it to Colby, obviously felt a pang that someone else was looking after him and not just anyone Ziggy.   I liked that Dean told Ziggy what she felt she deserved to hear - that it was her fault.  I was half expecting, thinking on  our thoughts Red about coincidences, that Willow would turn up just as Dean was giving Ziggy a comforting hug, but no damn it it didn't happen.  Maggie played it well there, using the fact Ziggy felt so guilty and was falling over herself to tend to Dean would, she hoped, make her rethink her current attitude.  Going by what we saw in the preview someone has thought of an alternative.

I'm on both sides here, Jett wants more independence, but like Marilyn & John I think it is too soon. Jett feels he being too much of a burden, but as I have said before, he has the use of his arms, he can wash and dress himself, guessing he can bathe himself too, feed himself,  get himself in and out of bed, move around, he's not bed ridden, not brain damaged which would be, not a burden as they wouldn't see it like that, but tough on Marilyn & John so outside help would then be needed.   So he hasn't given up the gym then,  must have  heard me wondering.  :wink:  Of course Jett  wants to push himself because he thinks he needs to move out, John was pushing it by nagging on and on, don't blame Jett snapping, think I would have done the same.  John seemed to listen to Ben who does know of what he talking. Mason was very professional, kept out of the argument, but gave Jett firm instructions as to how far he could let him push himself, it would come back on him if anything went wrong and Jett did damage himself and put back his recovery.  

Marilyn took a big chance, which she did admit was the wrong thing by calling padre/chaplain Wilson, but by the lap of the gods she got away with it as he - full praise there (religious pun unintended) - told Jett there weren't any places available after all - which was very believable.  Bet he was glad though he wasn't lying to Jett face to face. I don't know if he is Catholic, but if he is I could visualise him crossing himself when talking to Jett.

Just a wondering have 10 weeks passed yet - only that was the period of time Coco was meant to be away boarding school? :unsure:

I think John made the right call here.As he says, they need to pick their battles and having Jett happy and healthy is the important thing, which giving him a goal to work towards helps.He managed a necessary climb down with Robbo, when he gave him that zinger about not being responsible for someone's death only to learn the truth, and it's given him a bit of a prod.It's hard to be sure who Robbo was talking about when he said someone supported him and never gave up: Tori got him out of his darkest part but Jasmine did get him the rest of the way, and there seemed to be a visual suggestion in that direction.Still, Robbo's attempt to do the same for her was pretty much an epic fail, forcing his company on her when she was on the verge of collapse was not the smartest thing he could have done.

Dean managed to make up for his lack of intelligence yesterday by getting Ziggy a fixer-upper, after Ben vetoed his original plan for extreme sports! I wasn't keen on Ziggy smashing something that belonged to Maggie just because Brody bought it: What if she liked it? Assuming 5 episodes=a week, the end of last week was actually 10 weeks from when we last saw Coco.

While I am sympathetic towards Ziggy, her deteriorating attitude last week has been frustrating to watch, and unfortunately it took Dean rocking up at her door bruised and battered for her to realise the effect it is having for other people. That Mark turned out to be a nasty piece of work, didn't he? Thankfully Dean decided to keep an eye out for Ziggy. And while I am it, I might weigh in on the whole is Dean a good guy debate: He has made questionable decisions at best and out right stupid or illegal ones at worst during his time on the show, too much to make him a favourite for me, I fear.  But I am not blind to the fact that there is more to him than that and he has a decent heart many times shown, such as yesterday when he got the old car for Ziggy to fix in an attempt to cheer her up. However, I was left with the impression that he unintentionally is causing Willow to feel insecure again when he deflected her questions at Salts. 

John and Marilyn did as good as they could with Jett this week. Jett was acting rather distant this week, only to snap out at the two, which while understandable, is hard to see. Him wanting to move out does seem like a good idea if he was mainly doing it because he feels like a burden (which always breaks my heart whenever he refers himself as such ?). What I really enjoyed was his scenes with Robbo (though I am left wondering and sceptical as to when did Robbo remember about his trip to Afghanistan, presumably when he was training again with Lance, and while I liked that John told Jett of Robbo's past, I can't help but remember when he was practically second in line for the mob to run Robbo out of town), especially with their heartfelt conversation about guilt and responsibility, and I'm glad that it inspired Jett to finally reach out for professional help. 

Jasmine's behaviour continues to be concerning, and her claims that she doesn't need Willow's help just seemed forced on her part. I liked that Robbo refused to give up on her and that he wants to make amends, but however, he was a bit full-on, and I think that contributed to her collapse at the end, Robbo should have known better than rush how much time she needs, though given her constant running and refusal for help, it probably would have happened regardless. 

12 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

It's hard to be sure who Robbo was talking about when he said someone supported him and never gave up: Tori got him out of his darkest part but Jasmine did get him the rest of the way, and there seemed to be a visual suggestion in that direction.

I took it to mean he was talking about Tori and if he wasn’t I would be pretty mad as without her he would of been dead by now.

13 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

It's hard to be sure who Robbo was talking about when he said someone supported him and never gave up: Tori got him out of his darkest part but Jasmine did get him the rest of the way, and there seemed to be a visual suggestion in that direction.

44 minutes ago, christine king said:

I took it to mean he was talking about Tori and if he wasn’t I would be pretty mad as without her he would of been dead by now.

As I believe that both had a part to play in saving him, I would have preferred it if Robbo said that some people never gave up on him. 

11 hours ago, christine king said:

Because she patched him up on the quiet after he'd run away leaving Kat and Jasmine for dead? (Well, okay, he made sure an ambulance was on the way.) He probably meant after that.Come to think of it, he might have meant Kat as well. Or even Lance!

Anyway! That was some pretty big reveals about Jasmine and not before time too: She's been on the show a year and a half and we learned more about her background in that episode than we have in the preceding three hundred! It explains a lot as well.As she said, she can cope with people leaving because it's happened so many times before, but this is the first time one of them's come back when she's adjusted to living her life without them.She doesn't know how to cope, and encouraging Robbo to go away again seems like an easy solution, but she needs to deal with it, even if she doesn't get back with him.Irene does at least seem to have softened a little bit, politely sending Robbo away when it was clear he wasn't helping but encouraging Jasmine to see him later.

Given how long ago he told Ziggy, and that Ben and Dean know as well, it's a bit of a stretch that it's taken this long for the Morgans to find out about Brody's plans to leave.I think that when he bought back Salt, it was solely in his name, but the rest of the family lent him some of the money.It did seem a bit odd to have Simone suddenly desperate for a teaching job, but if she and Brody do start up a new restaurant together, then that would be more in line with her original ambition. I do understand Justin and Tori's fears: Brody is giving up his whole life for someone he's only known a few months, and it's less than a year since he was saying the same things about Ziggy. It could well be a disaster, but unfortunately in this case it really is his call and there's a limit to how much they can talk him out of it.

Leaving aside the fact that Leah's options seem a lot bigger than Roo, Justin or going on her own (there's a ton of other people she could take: Irene, Tori, Marilyn, Jasmine), there doesn't really seem to be any reason not to take Justin to the movie.They're meant to be friends, and she seems to enjoy his company for more reasons than the sexual ones, so if she doesn't want him to see it as a date, she just needs to explain it's just two friends going to a movie together.

As  this page was down yesterday I'll have to have a pretty quick recap.

Robbo was right he would have been the only one who could connect with Jett, cringed when Jett made the remark about he hadn't been responsible for anyone's death but of course he didn't know about Robbo's wife and children but bravely  swallowed his embarrassment and apologised to Robbo.  Losing men who you were responsible for is one thing, though they did know what to expect going into a war zone, Lauren, Lucas and Sophia were innocents who died as a result of Robbo's job.  Jett has been exonerated yes but in his mind he still feels it was his fault.  Robbo gave Jett some wise words about getting help now rather than bottle it up for years like he did and we saw Jett ring Chaplain Wilson.  Did  laugh though when John and Marilyn went to get ice creams and discussed John's idea that Jett still move out but somewhere local, Jett wasn't fooled at all, especially as they 'forgot' the ice creams with his question "Who won?"  John may be a duffer at times but he was right in saying Jett needs to concentrate on the positive things he can do.  Btw has the front door at Marilyn and John's always been wide enough to accommodate a wheelchair, it looks the same to me?:unsure:

I initially thought Robbo meant Tori, but she only helped him with his physical injuries, it was Jasmine who helped him heal mentally and that is why he is so determined to help her even if she says she doesn't want him to.  Maybe have been a too OTT but just as well he was there when she collapsed, she's been working too hard, probably not sleeping well, not eating and literally running herself into the ground. One of those coincidences we mentioned earlier as Leah & Roo come along just in time to help him with her.  She didn't put up that much of a fight when he picked her up and carried her to the Diner - lucky girl - why haven't they got a green with envy emoji?  Although he meant well by asking Tori to check she was OK it did result in Jasmine having a pop at her by telling her it was all her fault - no argument from me there. 

But that was a sad reveal, at six even the fact a parent has died feels like an abandonment, then a year later your dad walks away from you, and the parents she talked about were her foster parents, I guess we are meant to hate him for doing that but we don't know what he was going through and by her own admission he did try for a year to look after her. Explains the 'years ago' comment she made the other week, must have been expecting him back for quite a while before realising he wouldn't be back.  Hang in on there Robbo, don't give up on her. 

Seeing as Brody didn't ask Ziggy not to say anything to anyone about his and Simone's plans it was a surprise Ziggy hadn't told them just to get back at them.  Anyways they all know now. He was doing the whole 'finding the right time' line again, did he learn nothing, there is never a right time.  But he finally bit the bullet with a nudge from Simone by very neatly sidestepping Justin & Tori's attempt to drag him into how much to spend on the baby debate by dropping his own bombshell.  They were certainly stunned into silence but soon recovered after he had gone by deciding they couldn't 'allow' him to leave.  Yes OK he did the same thing with Ziggy but at least he was in the bay still. He may have only known Simone three months but you can fall in love with someone you have known a short period time and have it work.  Colby & Chelsea knew and had loved each other for years and look what happened there.   Simone certainly hasn't encouraged Brody to pack up and leave with her, in fact she's questioning if he's moving too fast.   In fact, and I didn't think I'd be saying this, I don't know if it is because she is older than Ziggy and has done uni and has a very good and responsible job but I think she and Brody would be good together.  They have the same interest, she's got a sensible head on her shoulders and keeps his feet on the ground.  In fact she encouraged him to go the family dinner. 

Well Mason did a complete U-turn in his attitude towards Simone and Brody and their leaving town news, his was confused by Brody's remark 'they've told you then' when they hadn't yet (I thought Justin & Tori had told Brody he was to tell Mason & Raffy) but he did get one thing right about not alienating him before he goes, because if things do go pear shaped, he wouldn't feel he could turn to them for help.  I liked Tori's honest answer that although they weren't jumping for joy they would support him.  Shame Raffy was having a sulk but she did come round in the end. 

Yes that  For Sale board going up does make it seem more real.  Wonder what the state of business sales are like in Aus?  It's in a good location, beachside operation, good turnover, plenty of diners/customers but...   I take it Brody has broken the news to his staff as likely the new owners will have their own people.

Bella has nothing to blame herself for and glad she got to speak to Raffy who told her she didn't 'hate' her.   What was with her attitude towards Roo, OK she hadn't got the same experience as Simone but she ought to give her a chance.  She shouldn't keep calling herself dumb, she isn't she's got a good eye for photography and is obviously good at needlework look how she altered that school uniform seemingly without use of a sewing machine, I certainly couldn't do that.  OK she may be lacking in the academic side of things but she'll catch up, she's got Raffy and Ryder to help her.

Ziggy has at last come to her senses and Dean's idea of fixing up an old motor or banger going by the looks of it ought to keep her and him occupied for a good while.  It'll help too in her getting her apprenticeship.  Was a bit presumptuous of her ditching Maggie's mug just cos Brody gave it to her, should be Maggie's choice, she can always just put it away somewhere.   Talking of extreme sports, kind of, what happened to Maggie's plans of doing weird and wonderful things to raise money for the cancer charity?

Assuming Justin wanted to see the movie what was wrong with Leah taking him along as a friend, and what rules, I didn't think there were any?  From the look of what goes on tonight, it seems Justin does want to take it a step further.

Archived