2019 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

9 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

Have we heard before that Robbo's family were murdered in February 2017? That's over two years before we met him: He surely wasn't pretending to be Beckett Reid all that time, was he? But anyway, the counselling gave both him and Jasmine a much-needed insight into why they've both been behaving the way they have.As has been mentioned elsewhere, the counsellor is played by Socratis Otto, who was previously Detective Robert Robertson on and off from 2009 to 2011.This has led to a lot of speculation that he's somehow the same character but personally I'd say that's both too obvious and not obvious enough.

He went undercover after they were murdered to find out who murdered them, I think before that he was just a regular federal police officer under his own name. I'm not sure if it was immediately after they were murdered or maybe when he showed up in Summer Bay in July and his 'undercover mission' was to protect Kat?

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Robbo revealing that date certainly explains why he reacted the way he did over Tori's baby news, it most definitely would have affected him more than any other time.  I don't think we have had a definite time line for the murder of Robbo's family before, it's always been a bit vague. He definitely said  2015 making it four years which makes a lot more sense, the job he was on upset the wrong people who took it out on his family. It would have taken him time to infiltrate  the gang and get them to trust him. His job as Beckett Reid was to kill Kat but as you said Lunar his uncover job was to protect her. Auden aka Robert Roberson - I knew I knew that face -  had an unconventional approach to counselling, he seemed to be more interested in Robbo than Jasmine, then asking him to join them.  If he is Robert Robertson acting as a counsellor he'd better stay out of the way, too many people who'd recognise him especially Leah who he dated briefly. That was ten years ago!!!!!:o He was hardly a back ground character either.  Perhaps TPTB are playing with our minds - should we book an appointment  with a counsellor?:wink: It would have been a very long shot that Robbo would have been there as he only decided to accompany Jasmine  just before she left. Aiden  did suggest rather pointedly that Robbo see him again.

I can imagine how Jasmine must have felt watching out of the window for her dad until she finally realised he wasn't coming back.:cryingsmiley:  As she was fostered I guess that means she didn't have any other close family, aunts, uncles, grandparents that could have looked after her.  Is there going to be an upcoming storyline where she decides to look for him?

I did enjoy the scenes with Justin and Leah on the beach - I thought it was a brilliant idea even if she did turn out to be rubbish at surfing, they both seemed to be having fun though that water did look cold. Was that why no-one else was about? Alf was very unhelpful I thought, though Justin did work it out for himself - without resorting to Google I hope. 

It is about time Ben made peace with Justin, as Maggie said Ziggy's back working at the garage and getting on with him. 

John is now relaxed enough to leave Jett home alone!   Maz had it right, he was trying too hard to think of something to do with his life.  John & Maz getting him to write down what he was good at was a inspired idea - apart from cooking .  The army must have thought he was good at leading men to make him a lieutenant.  He would have a ways to go before being a counsellor/advisor/advocate, can't just walk into that position like that - no offence intended btw - he'd need training and they would assess if he was ready yet.

It's looking like Mason's argument for him giving Raffy the cannabis oil could be vindicated this week.  No spoilers just gong by what I have seen in the trailers.

Whilst I've been fairly critical of Ben in the past, I can see why he doesn't want to be friends with Justin.  Justin is obligated to support the person that ruined his daughter's life.  I think he'll definitely come round eventually though.

Really didn't like the way Alf was with Justin when asked him for advice re Leah.  The same way I didn't like the way he warned Justin not to mess her around

On ‎18‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 03:21, Lunar said:

He went undercover after they were murdered to find out who murdered them, I think before that he was just a regular federal police officer under his own name. I'm not sure if it was immediately after they were murdered or maybe when he showed up in Summer Bay in July and his 'undercover mission' was to protect Kat?

Oops, sorry, meant 2015! Which, as I said, is over two years before he turned up in Summer Bay and begs the question of what exactly he was doing in that time.The implication was that he went undercover and erased all records of "Ryan Shaw" right after his family were killed (he even said in yesterday's episode that he came out fighting and it didn't go well), but now there seems to have been a big gap.I mean, the whole thing never made much sense anyway, with the sudden retcon from him having a long acquaintance with Dennis Novak and reputation for brutality to Lance telling him he's never committed a crime apart from shooting that guy, but the timeline just feels off here, with the previous implication being that the Beckett Reid charade was based around that fake police file.I guess it could have taken him and Lance two years to get a handle on the corrupt cop ring (still no firm word on whether they had a hand in his family's murder or not), with Dylan's actions in Summer Bay possibly being instrumental, but it feels like too long a gap to me.

Anyway, today! Justin continues to do a good job of providing a middle way among the family, and Leah also had me nodding in agreement a lot, although I didn't agree with everything she said. Mason's plan was stupid, illegal and potentially dangerous, for all the precautions he took, and it could have had disastrous results.However, the fact remains that he was right and it did help Raffy, which Tori, who was very annoying here, insists on burying her head in the sand about because she doesn't want to admit she was wrong to dismiss the trial with a rather illogical "I don't want another drug addict in the family" justification.I will accept she had a point about Raffy feeling ill because she's got it in her head that she will, but her tough love approach was unhelpful.Justin not cluing in Leah was a bit worrying, although I take the point that it means dragging her into hiding the full story from the police.In the circumstances, I was quite glad that Tori got snapped at by Robbo when she made a comment about the pregnancy: Forgiven but not forgotten.

Talking of, Robbo and Jasmine continue to take it in turns to decide not to get back together.And I do feel a bit sorry for Roo.She had thirteen years of having two parents, but she's had to wait until she's middle-aged to get them back, and now it's not turning out the way she'd hoped.

On 17/06/2019 at 17:42, Red Ranger 1 said:

Have we heard before that Robbo's family were murdered in February 2015?

Yes, it was the same date that was shown in the police report early last year ?

Well, it's just usual H&A luck that Mason got a new opportunity the same day he gets caught with the drugs. At least he did confess and was honest, but he did know the consequences of it. And while he did have good intentions, initially I was on Tori and Justin's side: he was taking an enormous risk with Raffy's health. What he did was dangerous, and even though he's is being proved right this week with Raffy's seizures returning, doesn't really change the fact. Also when he made the point about Raffy's seizures returning because the trial stopped, I honestly couldn't tell if he was making a point or trying to score one over Tori (I'm really hoping that he's just being concerned, but it's hard to tell). On the other hand, Tori was really annoying this week; yes what Mason did was illegal, but she just ignore any chance that she may be wrong (which apparently is just normal for her), her talk with Raffy was just condescending, and her attitude with Leah giving her opinion just because she didn't agree with her, especially after all the support she gave Tori, was just... ugh! If she wants to push everyone against her, then mission accomplished. I felt bad for Leah, with Tori bashing her and then Justin not really giving her any reassurances, but at least Justin made up with her at the end. Surprised at Mason's decision to change his statement, but I actually like his decision to come public and try and make a change. And at least Tori did give in and assess whether Mason's trial would have actually work, but it doesn't feel like she's actually convinced or willing. 

Surprised to see Martha back, and even more surprised at the fact that she and Alf are giving it a go. While I do enjoy their scenes together, I would, like many others have commented, would like to see at least a mention of Alisa. But now Martha's gone too. I felt sorry for Roo having to say goodbye to her again after spending such as short time together, but did laugh when she thought that Alf did something wrong to cause her to leave. The last dinner was nice, and I hope that this storyline will not be forgotten soon. 

There appears to be a sudden change in John's attitude, from wanting to give Jett independence to keeping him in his sights at all times. That's not good for Jett to heal, and a lot of the time, his temper was almost ready to burst. I was surprised and unsure of Marilyn's idea, especially with the bad start Jett had, but apparently it was for the best, with it giving Jett a good motivation to be able to try and do things on his own, and hopefully to rid Jett of his feelings of worthlessness. 

I'm glad that Brody and Ziggy both sorted out the divorce, if only just to get Brody off my screen quicker, but however, they've been married for a year, don't you have to be married longer for a divorce, or is it just longer if lawyers are involved? It was a good decision for Ziggy to agree to meet Brody, because as she said, it gave her some control over a state of affairs where control has been robbed from her. I barely paid attention to Brody's self justifications for him cheating, I heard it all before and it means nothing to me. But apparently, he looks like he wasn't as confident with selling Salts as he thought he was, not that all I have any sympathy for him. 

So, we're introduced to Aiden. I remember pictures of the actor on set being showed months ago and how I and others thought Detective Robertson was returning to us. I also heard rumours that 

Spoiler

Aiden is actually Robertson undercover.

But I don't think that the show would be clever enough to do that. Which is a shame. Anyways, some really touching scenes with Jasmine explaining her torment waiting for her father, but I'm glad she got it out of her system. I honestly did expect Robbo to try and get out of taking Jasmine to the counsellor, because he's still uncertain about where he stands with her, though I'm glad that the tough-love attitude of Willow convinced him to take Jasmine. Didn't expect him to actually sit in and talk (which, as Lunar and Red pointed out with the timeline problems with him being undercover as Reid, left more questions than it asked), but it did take courage to do so. While I do hope they do eventually reunite, I like Robbo's decision to have some space to allow both to heal. 

19 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

.I guess it could have taken him and Lance two years to get a handle on the corrupt cop ring (still no firm word on whether they had a hand in his family's murder or not), with Dylan's actions in Summer Bay possibly being instrumental, but it feels like too long a gap to me.

I thought that it was already confirmed that they were, because Robbo and Lance were investigating them, they killed his family to shut him up, and he went undercover as Beckett Reid to find them. But as you said the timeline is confusing, because he came to the Bay intially to protect Kat, who was in danger for testifying against Carter in 2017, so what exactly else was happening within that two-year gap? Were there other organisations involved? Was he doing other undercover jobs as Reid. But I thought that it was confirmed that the corrupt cops were responsible. 

On ‎19‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 00:54, Dan F said:

Yes, it was the same date that was shown in the police report early last year ?

5 hours ago, D.B said:

I thought that it was already confirmed that they were, because Robbo and Lance were investigating them, they killed his family to shut him up, and he went undercover as Beckett Reid to find them. But as you said the timeline is confusing, because he came to the Bay intially to protect Kat, who was in danger for testifying against Carter in 2017, so what exactly else was happening within that two-year gap? Were there other organisations involved? Was he doing other undercover jobs as Reid. But I thought that it was confirmed that the corrupt cops were responsible. 

Okay, so it seems that gap was always there, so at least they're being consistent about that.(Was that when Colby looked up the altered files for Tori? Possibly that left some ambiguity which Robbo confirming the date has now overridden?) I can't for the life of me remember when it was or who he was talking to, but I seem to remember Robbo recently mentioning that he never found out who killed his family.Oh, wait, I think it was when he was talking to Jett about it? He probably has a vague idea that it was connected to police corruption but doesn't know exactly who did it.

Anyway, today! I can't say I agree with everything Mason said or did, but I am basically on his side here, not least because Tori continued to be very very annoying, sticking to her guns in the face of all evidence to the contrary.The real reason she had a go at Leah was because she didn't agree with her, and Justin really needed to have more of a word than he did, instead of stammering a bit, sending Leah home, ignoring her for hours and then giving her a throwaway "I agree with you". I mean, is he saying that she is allowed to express an opinion after all? Because if so, he needs to be having a word to Tori.He's made mistakes in the past about not letting his girlfriends in on family stuff (notably with Phoebe) and I'd hope he's learned his lesson.I'm also hoping that Leah now goes back to Mason about doing the blog.Because while I don't completely agree with Mason, I do respect him for having the courage of his convictions and speaking out about what he'd done and why he's done it, and I appreciate that, while he's a bit arrogant about it at times, he is absolutely committed to helping Raffy, with whom he had another lovely little moment here.I guess I should give Tori credit for agreeing to talk to the medical team and show them Mason's results, although I suspect she's hoping they won't change their mind.Incidentally, wasn't the whole point supposed to be that Raffy couldn't be left alone? They seem to have relaxed that a lot, to the point of deeming it impractical when Ryder said it.Also also, wasn't Mason getting the internship already off the table? Why was Tori suddenly encouraging him to go for it?

Goodbye to Martha, which seemed to be a convenient way of working in a family holiday the next time Ray Meagher and/or Georgie Parker want time off.Well, whatever works for them, I guess.And there was certainly some enjoyment to be had in Brody's cold feet moment as he realises just how much he's giving up for Simone.

I did spot a hole in Tori's 'theory' that Raffy's symptoms coming back were in her mind and that she wanted it to work not as a result of the CBD oil actually working because Mason put it together. You could say there  would be the same argument if it had been a proper, supervised trial, and it was found to be working, then halted to see how it affected the patient and the symptoms came back, would Tori say the same thing then?  She was being really, really annoying and so blinkered.  She seems to be treating Raffy as an idiot child and not a savvy 15 year old who knows her own body.  She appeared to take it personally that Mason went against 'her' decision. There have been quite a few cases where  mums and dads have discovered a cure for their child's illness - Lorenzo's oil anyone - and they had no medical knowledge unlike Mason who knew what he was doing, Tori hasn't even considered looking at Mason's notes.  She did get worn down in the end and told Raffy and Mas she'd show Mason's findings to the trial team.  I think he has made the right decision in not going for the internship, he does have a problem with following the rules, maybe he'll go into the research side of medicine.  Be one in the eye for Tori if Mason's research and trial is seen to work.  That 'drug addict' remark was totally ridiculous Mason had it under his control, apart from the one slip by Raffy  where she overdosed, for which he threatened to stop it there and then.

Ryder really is a true diamond, but he can't be with Raffy 24/7 and not leave her alone for a second, she'd start to resent him then, he's one of the few who treats her like normal, he would turn into her care not a boyfriend. Unlike a teen to have a low charge on his mobile but luckily Alf and Marilyn just happened to wander by. Had to smile at the look on Ryder's face when Marilyn suggested he go home and write Raffy a love poem.  :wub:  I don't quite see the reasoning that now Leah & Justin are an item he is supposed to tell her everything like he would have done if they had still been friends, there are still things you wouldn't discuss, for an example he kept quiet about Brody's affair while they were in friends mode, though he was tempted to a couple of times.  Leah didn't interfere as such but just offered her opinion as seen from an 'outsiders' point of view so didn't deserve Tori's tongue lashing.  Interesting that  Simone is being left on the sidelines, but Ziggy would have been included. I think if she was aware she'd be concerned,  Brody's affair wasn't Raffy's fault.

As already been said about Ryan/Robbo/Beckett it makes sense it would take time for him to be accepted as this hit man with a bad rep (which was made up) so two years is a good time scale.  There are still gaps we don't know about that aren't linked to the cops and Dylan Carter. Novak  mentioned  when he tried to blow them all up he and Beckett had worked together before after he got over the shock of seeing him there and that was the first time Robbo knew his 'real' name. The feds can play with time and people's history like they did with the Morgan's whenever they had to move because  their identity had been blown. Ryan Shaw disappeared off all systems and Beckett Reid appeared.  It was the corrupt cops who sent Beckett Reid to kill Kat.  I said before it was a long shot Robbo would be at the counselling session but it seemed to me as soon as Aiden saw him he lost interest in Jasmine and her story and instead of asking her about her dad was quizzing her about Robbo and even if he is a fake counsellor he did a very good job of getting to tell him Robbo's real name.  I may be reading more into it than there is but he seemed very keen to know the specific date when Robbo's family died.  Btw DB I don't think Jasmine has got 'it out of her system' she's only  had one session so just scratched the surface.  Gave Robbo food for thought as he hasn't thrown the card away.  Jasmine was justly upset Robbo didn't jump at her offer to get back together but I think he's right, until they have both sorted out their pasts  and properly come to terms with them  then they will just keep coming up against the same problems.  No wonder Robbo wasn't in the mood for Tori.

I can see why Roo was upset with Martha who after appearing to have settled in the bay suddenly announced she's going home, she has just got her back.  Martha did drop a bombshell there she and Alf had obviously talked it through. A tad unfair, though knowing Alf understandable, her instantly blaming him for her leaving.  Their time on the trip together worked as they must have thrashed out a lot of things as they seem so relaxed together and I loved how they took the micky out of each other with such love.  I'm glad Roo came round to the idea in the end after Alf and Martha explained they were both happy with the arrangement, Alf can visit Martha, Martha can visit the bay, they can go away with each other again.  Living together after so long would have been a big adjustment, they are both stubborn, wondered where Roo got it from.:wink: They even said if it didn't work they think of something else, which for Alf is a big thing. 

Brody and Simone were excited about selling Salt and moving on but  Brody actually getting an offer so quick and that it's more than he expected makes it real.  I think he thought it would take a while longer. To be fair to her Simone still isn't or wasn't pushing him, even went off and got herself a maternity cover teaching job.  She even told him to go when he  got the news Raffy was in hospital, though she looked miffed the next day when she was making plans and he sad he had to go. His sudden flair up at her about how Salt was his restaurant and he'd built it up from nothing came out of the blue but as I said before the fact he and Simone could be leaving sooner rather than later  is more real now he's had an offer. On top of that of course he would be leaving his family and not be on as hand for Raffy as he is currently.

Archived