2019 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

I was mostly left thinking that I'd rather have seen Bella with Raffy and Ryder.I get that she's not the most relaxing person to have around but it might have been a good learning experience for her.(I'm assuming/hoping that it wasn't as blunt as her being told to stay away.)Instead, she gets dragged along by the rest of the Mangrove River ex-pats and finds yet more things changing which I'm guessing she's not used to:She presumably had six years of the same thing with Ross.She does seem to have had this idea in her head that Willow and Dean belong together (which, to be fair, Willow, Dean and Colby have all had at various points and they've done crazy things about it as well), yet suddenly Dean's dragging Ziggy into their "family".Of course, there's also the fact that Ziggy doesn't know what happened to Ross, which was Dean's original reason for not pursuing things with Willow although he seems to have forgotten about that now.(To be fair, this is realistic: When something's just happened, you're scared of people finding out, but when months go by without anything really happening, you start to relax and feel as though it's blown over.)All of which is more interesting than Dean and Ziggy suddenly being ultra-tactile.I did like Ben and Maggie making themselves scarce when Ziggy started getting manic, and also rebuffing Brody.And good that Roo and Maggie are impressed with Bella's work.

Brody and Simone, not really interested.Brody seems to be over his wobble already, Simone is suddenly being ultra-reasonable now she's kind of accepted or at least tolerated by most people...The most interesting thing is that apparently Raffy is finally going to be allowed to turn 16.

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alf's episode count this week:Five, for the second week running, although he wasn't credited on Thursday for some reason.

Well, Bella continues to act like a rather obsessive shipper on deck, but again it's all down to her not wanting things to change.I did like that little moment of pleasure she had when Maggie complimented her on the assignment (after her too-quick "I didn't do it"!).Dean and Ziggy together isn't as bad as I thought it might be, but it still feels unnecessary when it might be better to just show them as being friends.Willow gets a bit of credit for trying to be the better person even though she's clearly not as fine with it as she wants to be.

It looks like I was right about it being too soon for Jett to become a counsellor.It might not have been too bad an idea if he had a lot of training time first, so it was perhaps premature to shelve it completely, but him being a guest speaker was a decent alternative.But now he's got another choice to make.To be honest, it could be good for him to have a go at living on his own but it's up to him.Alf was oddly helpful after his initial eye-rolling about John and I did like him refusing to treat Jett any differently and give way.

Did seem pretty late for that leaflet to be dropping through the Astoni's letterbox/post box seeing as the rally was two days later!!   I know Dean is a good mechanic but didn't think even he was such a miracle worker, though it did show if people are determined enough to make something work they will.  Was that really the same heap of junk that Ziggy and Dean drove away in - looked amazing.  Willow was putting on a good show at seeing Ziggy and Dean being so friendly, switched  from Justin then back to Dean then.  Depending on how you see it - especially from Bella's point of view - it may look like Ziggy and Dean are on the verge of something, but from another point of view it's just Ziggy being  overexcited and wanting to hug everyone.   Bella looks on Dean & Willow being part of her 'family' so would see Ziggy as an interloper wanting to take Dean away, can't remember if she was about when Willow was with Justin.:unsure:  Bella did look happy, though at first disbelieving, at how good her assignment had been received.

Yes Raffy is finally going to be 16!  I did wonder when Brody mentioned it if Coco would be returning and lo and behold she is - which lead to me wondering  if Hope, she was part of Raffy's life for the first 13 years of her life after all,  will be getting a mention or has she been airbrushed from Raffy's history?  Coco as we saw isn't at all happy, to put it mildly, about how accepting everyone is about the fact the party is at Salt and  Simone being there. They have, though, had time to come to terms with the situation. I know Ziggy's 21st didn't go as she may have planned it but Coco was a no show for that.

After his blow up Brody has calmed down and Simone as you said Red is being accepting and supportive, wiling to wait until Brody is ready to go, there's  Raffy's already mentioned 16th and wanting to see how she is going to be after her recent hospital stay. 

I knew it was too soon for Jett to become a counsellor, it is still too raw for him to be advising others. Like how Alf had some more pearls of wisdom for John to suggest to Jett, I had to look up RSL, but Jett's visit to them seemed to have given him a renewed sense of purpose.  The news there is now  place for him in the city has left him with conflicted emotions.  That did raise a smile when Alf told Jett off for speeding through the surf club, maybe he needs l plates on his chair.

Talking of counsellors and Robert/Aiden and is he or isn't he still a cop but undercover.  We don't know what he has been doing in the ten years we last saw him, but if wouldn't he actually have had to go through the training, can't see any responsible health authority hiring him if he didn't have the proper qualifications, be far too risky letting him loose on patients, he could do all sorts of harm if he didn't know what he was talking about. Tori had heard about him as she recommended him to Jasmine. Anyways he and Robbo look to be having a talk on the beach this week, odd place for an counselling session albeit an informal one and wasn't it rather near the Diner where he could be recognised? 

This time, I am more sympathetic towards Bella's behaviour, because as messed up at it is at times, her, Colby, Dean and Willow are a family unit. So it makes sense that she doesn't want things to change, even though she shouldn't be able to control who Dean spends time with. Her sneaking at the back of the car was way extreme, and while she was acting a bit snide, I felt that Dean was a bit harsh towards her, but then again, I guess with his experiences, he wouldn't really know a better way. Dean and Ziggy's scenes were nice and felt natural, but again, I do prefer them as friends, and instead it feels like it's building up to something else. I did feel for Willow, who is trying to put up a strong face, but the constant reminders (most of them courtesy of Bella) doesn't make things easier for her to keep her temperature. But it looks like we gonna see more about Colby's attempts to deal with Bella that will just be... ugh. 

At least Jett gets the chance to be a guest speaker, even if it's too early for him to be a counsellor. Loved Alf's scenes with him, as a side note. It feels like today that Jett has become a lot less sure about moving into a flat, and unfortunately it took another accident for him to almost give up (though it feels like we just had this story last week). I loved John and Maz's support in the end, though I am surprised that they suddenly become okay with the idea; I would have thought they would have been more firm about their doubts, though I guess that after Jett's outburst, they feel like the last thing he needs is more doubts to fill his head. 

Jasmine delaying the beginning of her diary just seems like she wasn't as secure as she wanted Willow to believe, and I feel like she should take Robbo's advice on that they should wait before considering their relationship. 

What was Bella thinking, stowing away like that??  If I was Colby, I'd have made her walk back to the Bay.  That, or go to fetch her in a prison wagon.

The location footage was pretty spectacular.  Saying that though, so was some of the SB footage, particularly when Willow & Jasmine met on the beach with the ocean in the background and some of the between scene shots.

I think Jett is moving out too soon.  I can understand him wanting his independence but he should wait until he is more confident with everyday household stuff.

*exhales* Ohmygodbellaisliketotesannoyingmirite *exhales*

Got THAT out of my system, She was, IS super annoying. You're 16, not 12, girlie!

Amazed she didn't give herself away with a sneeze or a fart!

Take Bella away, I like the Dean/Ziggy banter on the road. That was kind of a Douche thing to do, holding out on Zigs with the chips but like she wouldn't have done it to him! ?

I like the look Maggie gave Dean, I quietly thought to myself "Probably secretly fantasising about him and all!"

It helps having someone like Alf who's actually "been in the s***" to talk to Jett

Tori has been annoying me as of late but last week it was the way she was with Leah (even though I kind of agree with the argument that she shouldn't be getting involved with family matters re Raffy seizures since stopping the cannabis).  Tori's attitude towards Mason also annoyed me.

I loved the way Ziggy and Dean were relishing Simone and Brodi's argument when they saw them on the beach - Ziggy's "Trouble in paradise" then Dean's "Morning All".?  I also kind of cracked as smile at Maggie's reaction when they told her about it.

Felt quite awkward during the scene where Brody spoke to Ben and Maggie re Ziggy.

I loved that look Willow gave when she saw Dean with Ziggy (Similar to Justin and Leah previously).  I'm hoping something happens with them so Willow can be on her own and miserable for a little while.

I'm continuing to have a fair bit of sympathy for Bella.I didn't want her plan to succeed, although I'm also not sure I can deal with another scene of Killer Colby reading her the riot act.I found it interesting how understanding Ziggy was of Bella, noting that she was bound to be messed up after the life she'd had, and how she took it all in her stride.Could Bella end up with another big sister figure instead of losing a big brother? She seemed to have a few moments of "Uh-oh, what have I done?" but then put on a cheeky front when Dean found her.Willow continues to put a brave face on it but isn't interested in Colby dragging her into his dramas.I'm not sure if Jasmine's had any panic attacks beyond the couple(?) we've witnessed, so I imagine that would be a fairly short journal!

Alf said it right: Jett getting somewhere to live isn't a bad thing and the final decision has to be his.So I think John and Marilyn are taking the right approach in being encouraging and supportive while not saying he should definitely take it.Them all going together to scope it out seems like a good idea.

Archived