2019 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

So Tori has finally come around to the idea of supporting Mason and feeling that she wants to and not because she has been emotionally blackmailed into it.  (I still think her being such a close relative would make any letter in his defence from her inadmissible).

Let John go Maz.  He's just being a complete idiot.  Jett will soon get fed up of his smothering behaviour and insist that he goes back to the Bay anyway. 

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alf's episode count this week:Four.

Okay, so John's being a prize turkey, snapping at everyone, and even he seems to realise that.Ben's advice was basically good if unfortunately vague, Alf and Leah told him a few necessary home truths.However...is John's idea really so bad it should be dismissed out of hand? I mean, apart from the fact that leaving town means they won't be on the show anymore, do they actually have a reason to stick around? John's not suggesting that they move in with Jett (although I assume that's where he's gone now), just that they live close by so they're on hand to help if he needs it. Obviously John's got a lot of issues which mean his motivation for the suggestion is rather dodgy, but moving closer to family isn't really the reasonable idea the episode seems to present it as.At the very least, it deserves thought and discussion.I also admit I wasn't entirely convinced by Alf's "No man should talk to his wife like that" moral: He lost his cool with Ailsa plenty of times!

As ever, I absolutely loved the Mason and Raffy moments.That little chat in the gym once again underlined how much they mean to each other, and of course Raffy will go to bat for him and do it in a scientific way that Tori will listen to.Justin was doing his usual job of trying to support everyone as well.So Tori's finally willing to back Mason up, and that hug in response was very sweet after all the barbed comments recently.

And seems like it's full steam ahead for Robbo and Jasmine.Good luck to them.

If John had his way he'd have Jett in a high chair gumming down strained peas and mashed bananas! ?

Very rare you see DADS coddling sons (though not unusual if your name is Ned Flanders)

If Robbo and Jas want to stand a chance, do a dawn flit! ?

Also Ails was a different beast compared to Mazza. She wasn't afraid to go for the jugular, she would give as good as she got, sometimes better!

It is so a bad idea for John to move to be near Jett in case anything bad happens, Jett would have all the aids he needs, even down to having one of those buzzer things to wear round his neck should he fall out of his chair or bed.  John did the same thing when Jett was living with them and that nearly drove Jett crazy. It could really damage John & Jett's relationship if John insists on interfering too much.   John claimed Jett was just saying he was fine was because he was being proud - piffle - yes Jett wants his independence but he wouldn't be that proud not to ask for help.  Plus it would be from the people near to him.  Nothing Ben or Alf seemed to sink in or rather Ben's idea's did but in the wrong way.  Maz does a lot more faith in Jett and his ability to live alone and it would normally be her fretting. Guess that puts the mockers on Raffy moving back to John & Marilyn's.  John did point out there was no need for Raffy to come back as she had her home with the Morgan's.

Speaking of Raffy - she did play a couple of blinders - telling Mason she'd be up for going to court to back his case and then without any dramatics managed to persuade Tori to finally look at Mason's notes on her treatment and her diary about her reactions before, during and after the trial and it actually changed her mind. In fact I'd argue Mason was being a lot more meticulous with any reaction noted than any doctors would be on a proper trial under the correct conditions cos it wasn't just any patient he was treating it was his sister.  The only blip occurred when Raffy helped herself and OD'd.

Oh dear it was all going so well with Jas and Robbo, but then he had to say "Nothing can go wrong now" - kiss of death if ever I heard it. 

Great that Mason got off and without a criminal conviction too.  He just needs to keep his nose clean now.

You wouldn't think that Raffy had just turned 16.  She acts like she is 6.  At least she appreciates Maz.

Justin was right that Brody needs to tell Ziggy that he is leaving.

I'm often critical of this habit of building up the threat that a character might go to jail and then handing them a far lighter sentence, usually off screen, but here I was glad of it. I like Mason and I'm not sure I could have handled him going to jail, plus it feels more earned than usual thanks to Tori's last minute support.I notice Raffy was wearing the outfit she wore for Purple Day, not sure if that was deliberate or not.And again I loved scenes between the two of them, even if we did have to endure Marilyn swooping in for another save.It was nice to see Leah being part of it as well.Raffy giving Simone a serve increases my feeling that Coco didn't ruin the party, she made it better.So, Brody and Simone finally on the way out.I agree that Brody does need to tell Ziggy.Sure, she'll probably slam the door in his face.But she has the right to be given the opportunity to do that.

I continue to maintain that John and Marilyn moving nearer Jett is far from the worst thing.Yes, John needs to step back instead of micromanaging, but in general living near their loved ones instead of staying in Summer Bay out of habit seems a valid choice.And Marilyn did seem to be seriously considering it here, so I'll give her that.I wasn't sure whether events here pushed her in one way or not, and which direction it did if so. Raffy's speech about her saying the right thing felt like a reason for her to stay but we didn't quite get there and indeed Marilyn seemed rather out of sorts earlier in the episode, with Raffy too invested in her family to be distracted by pancakes (a nice reversal of last year where she wanted ice cream with Marilyn rather than to support Tori) and quickly running away from her cookies when she thought Mason was back (although she enjoyed them later!). Marilyn's speech about things changing and people moving away could be taken either way: Was she thinking that she could move away, or that she had to accept that Jett had?

Felt a bit frustrated we didn't see Mason fighting his case in court, but glad it did have the right outcome, got more or less a clean sheet too, not a good behaviour bond, just got to keep his nose clean - no pun intended.  OK Raffy hasn't jumped to the front of the queue for the trial, but at least she is on the waiting list thanks to Mason's diligence.  Great news he's going to be an advocate for CPD oil and it's usage for epilepsy. Justin's look of panic when Mason told him he wasn't going to give up then explained what he meant!   Tori acting all coy when Mason said the judge praised her statement for Mason. At least the good news made it a lot easier for Brody to break his news.  The way they were talking I thought Yarra Valley was on the other side of the country till I looked it up  and I know Australia is  a big country but Victoria is the next state. We shouldn't like her but Simone is a good influence on Brody, not pushing him to tell his family and leaving him to tell  them alone at Salt.  She was also in agreement with Justin, though she didn't know it,  that Brody tell Ziggy face to face, I was waiting for someone to 'remind' him.  She did deserve to be told by him in person and luckily he did before she heard the news accidentally, yes she, as we saw, tell him to sod off, but he won't have that on his conscience.

All the Morgan's were stunned that Brody and Simone were leaving so quickly, but especially Raffy who was blaming Simone again.  Mason did a  good job into trying to talk her round, considering he was very anti Simone at first but he sees the sense in keeping relations between them friendly, but wasn't able to persuade her to go back to Salt. She stomped off to the Diner instead and had a go at Simone there.  Marilyn may have looked as if she was swooping in but she is one step away from the Morgan family so can look at the situation more objectively.  Raffy did put her in  a bind though, by saying she always knew what to say and she was glad she was there for her.  As we saw earlier Marilyn, I think, would have considered moving nearer to Jett, but as she said before it was dependent on if Mason went down,  he didn't but then the news Brody was leaving reared it's ugly head.  I did notice Marilyn took Raffy back to the Morgan's - not her place. Also she is keeping the problem with Jett and John to herself rather than upset Raffy.

Rather poignant seeing Brody packing up his things, looking at photos of him and Ziggy, old programmes, leaflet on their honeymoon boat, brave decision for him to offer their Wedding Album to Ziggy, but not a good idea for him  to take it with him.

As an aside we heard new owner is keeping on current staff which will be  relief to them, and of course they can fill in new owner on the locals and their likes/dislikes, where to get best produce etc.  I'm guessing Salt has a chef apart from Brody.:unsure:

I'm more convinced than ever Marilyn has a whole supply of those earrings in all the colours!:D

So, Brody and Simone finally leave the Bay, after what seems a very long goodbye.

Brody leaves probably unloved and unlamented by most of the viewers, after his once popular character was sacrificed for the purpose of an exit storyline.  Shame.  Jackson Heywood deserved better.

I have mixed feelings about Simone, as I did actually like her character but she engineered the situation that led to Brody's marriage ending and yet gets to leave with the prize, which I personally think sends the wrong message.  Under different circumstances I think Simone would have made a great regular character, seeing that she was, as actress Emily said, not your regular SB gal.

I liked how Ben & Maggie tried to find out what was going on with Diggy.  I also really like how Maggie can't find it in herself to be horrible to people, even if they've hurt her family.

Brody's parting shot to Dean had probably the opposite effect he would have expected, resulting as it did in Dean telling Ziggy that he wasn't just here for the good times.

It was only natural that Ziggy would feel some sadness at Brody's departure, despite not wanting to.  Him bringing those keepsakes round probably helped her in a way.

I actually think Brody got a pretty good last episode.I'm not sure what it was, but for possibly the first time, I found myself not really chomping at the bit over Brody and Simone.I think it may have been the way the episode focused on the Morgan family, with that farewell meal and the last round of hugs.Because, even though every single one of them has been hard to like at times, as a unit they've been one of the best things to happen to the show in years, a nice normal family caught up in abnormal circumstances who actually like and support each other.And on the whole, Brody has had more good things than bad.So, yeah, if he's happy, then I don't mind that.And the same's probably true of Simone as well, even if it is weird to think back to how this storyline started with her being slightly creepy and obsessed about a married man and how we've ended up here.Brody gave Ziggy the opportunity to slam the door in his face and she obliged.I think he was pushing it offering her the wedding album and also giving it to Ben and Maggie (Ben's bonfire suggestion gets my vote and there'd surely be as many of Brody's friends and family in there as Ziggy's if not more?), as well as expecting an opportunity to end things on amicable terms with them.He's lucky that they were polite if not exactly friendly.Well, Maggie was.Ben mostly just gave him evils.And the moment that was probably designed to make us hate him, where he finally got fed up of Dean's pettiness and bit back, actually had me on his side.

Yeah, Dean and Ziggy. Another decent friendship marred by the need to make everything about sex, as I find myself continue to wish that Dean had managed to help her with clothes on.It was clearer than ever that she's not over Brodyy, and that "Have fun or go" summed up why this isn't an entirely good idea: Before they started sleeping together, they'd have had a beer together and probably ended up chatting, but now sex seems to be all they have between them.I'm relieved that Ben and Maggie aren't completely thrilled about Ziggy finding herself a handy replacement.They can see that she's in a better place than before Dean came along, but he's not really what they want as a son-in-law.Maybe I'm just tired of these stock "middle-class girl dates dodgy Mangrove River type" pairings, complete with childish "I don't do parents" attitude.

2 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

I actually think Brody got a pretty good last episode.I'm not sure what it was, but for possibly the first time, I found myself not really chomping at the bit over Brody and Simone.I think it may have been the way the episode focused on the Morgan family, with that farewell meal and the last round of hugs.Because, even though every single one of them has been hard to like at times, as a unit they've been one of the best things to happen to the show in years, a nice normal family caught up in abnormal circumstances who actually like and support each other.And on the whole, Brody has had more good things than bad.So, yeah, if he's happy, then I don't mind that.And the same's probably true of Simone as well, even if it is weird to think back to how this storyline started with her being slightly creepy and obsessed about a married man and how we've ended up here.Brody gave Ziggy the opportunity to slam the door in his face and she obliged.I think he was pushing it offering her the wedding album and also giving it to Ben and Maggie (Ben's bonfire suggestion gets my vote and there'd surely be as many of Brody's friends and family in there as Ziggy's if not more?), as well as expecting an opportunity to end things on amicable terms with them.He's lucky that they were polite if not exactly friendly.Well, Maggie was.Ben mostly just gave him evils.And the moment that was probably designed to make us hate him, where he finally got fed up of Dean's pettiness and bit back, actually had me on his side.

Yeah, Dean and Ziggy. Another decent friendship marred by the need to make everything about sex, as I find myself continue to wish that Dean had managed to help her with clothes on.It was clearer than ever that she's not over Brodyy, and that "Have fun or go" summed up why this isn't an entirely good idea: Before they started sleeping together, they'd have had a beer together and probably ended up chatting, but now sex seems to be all they have between them.I'm relieved that Ben and Maggie aren't completely thrilled about Ziggy finding herself a handy replacement.They can see that she's in a better place than before Dean came along, but he's not really what they want as a son-in-law.Maybe I'm just tired of these stock "middle-class girl dates dodgy Mangrove River type" pairings, complete with childish "I don't do parents" attitude.

I think sex is what is on most prime youngsters mind to be honest.

Let's be honest the only reason why the River Boys and other bad boys are liked once they are turned good or stopped being as bad is that they are good looking and people are   blinded by looks . 

In real life most bad boys are not as good looking as the bad boys you see on tv and they would be hated by everyone for their crimes and misdeeds. If a lot of bad boys characters were not played by pretty boys they would hated by everyone. 

But since they are pretty boys they are soon forgiven once they start acting less bad . Then people love them and act as if they've never done anything bad and that’s because they simply candy eyed. 

Archived