2019 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

Back from my holiday and caught up. Happy Birthday to me!!!

Frankly the only main highlight from last week was any scene with Robbo and Jasmine. I swear, they really shine above all the other stuff, their scenes are all so bright and cute. Despite my fears of them rushing this, I wish them all the best, they both dearly deserve it. And while I do think they are being more fair to Tori than she deserves with making sure that the wedding wouldn't interfere with her pregnancy, I really liked their scenes with her as well. 

Morgans: Just on the first day, my respect, admiration and like for Mason has grown considerably with him being even more concerned with Raffy than going to jail. While I was less sure that Tori supporting him would have helped much given that they were related, Tori should have agreed to help immediately rather than continue to bury her head in the sand, which continues to be a very annoying trait of hers; Mason is her brother, and while breaking the law, he had good intentions and hurt no-one, which I can get behind. In any case, family looks out for each other, except in really rare cases. Mason does make a good point that if his siblings can still get behind Brody after what he did, they ought to do the same to him after he's done less. I loved his scenes with Raffy and was really impressed that he refused to let her get under pressure by testifying. I'm glad that Raffy was able to convince her to stand by him, and while I would have appreciated it if we actually saw the trial, I was thrilled that Mason got off lighter than a feather. Meanwhile, Justin was the rock that held everyone together, though his rather wave-off approach with Raffy was a bit annoying. And we now say goodbye to another Morgan. Despite me going off her, I actually enjoyed Brody's farewell scenes, mainly because they were focused on his family and when he was able to leave on good terms with Ben and Maggie. And I do appreciate that with prodding from Simone he did give Ziggy the closure of slamming the door in his face. He was still rather hard to watch these past few weeks, especially when considering Ziggy and Dean. He does not have any right to express opinions on who Ziggy hooks up with, and him saying how he's tired with "90% of the town judging" him and Simone- yeah, there's probably a reason for that. And his parting words with Dean took the biscuit. Brody and Simone- yeah, I don't care anymore, see you. Jackson Heywood though- Thank you for these past three years and I hope you get much better roles for the future, same with Emily. 

John and Marilyn: John leaving again to look after Jett has had me conflicted: on one hand, as Red pointed out, living closer to him would not be that unreasonable and more understandable, but on the other hand, John is not in the best mind space at the time, given his snappy approach towards everyone, so if he did went over, he's most likely going to end up trying to be the personal nanny 24.7, which as Marilyn pointed out, would not be good for Jett's development. I did feel bad for Marilyn, though I am surprised in that in this scenario, I would have thought that the roles would have been reversed, that Marilyn would have been the one who would have pushed towards being closer to Jett. 

Dean and Ziggy: I'm becoming less sure about these two by the minute, as I'm beginning to prefer these two as friends than as a couple, with it being less easier for Ziggy to talk with Dean without sex. I am glad that Maggie did raise some quickly-ignored concerns of whether or not Ziggy was moving too fast. But again it is her choice. But I don't think things will be as easy sailing as either would hope, with Ziggy treating it like a fling sometimes and Dean obviously looking for something more, otherwise he wouldn't have been as frustrated by Brody's comments. But I guess we'll wait and see. I did enjoy her sisterly scenes with Coco, who's on the road again. Till next time.

Colby and Bella: Good grief. The fact that the most enjoyable part of it I found was when Bella hit Colby, shows that there's either something wrong with me, or with the story. Probably with the story. And I thought the hypocrisy surrounding Hunter last year got me, now it's even worse. I couldn't take Colby seriously in the slightest (despite the show apparently insisting that we should) when he told Bella that there's "always another way" rather than violence- of course to Colby, the other way is killing people! He had no right to judge Bella in the slightest when it's mainly his fault with all that has happened to Bella recently, which of course, he doesn't even consider. And I can't even feel much for Irene  apart from a small sense of sympathy which is small because she decided to be the one to invite Bella into her home when she is unprepared for this. Don't get me wrong, Bella does annoyingly pushes the boundaries at times, but I feel more sorry for her than anyone else because she's the one who's being passed around the town because Colby's failings, and she's feeling lost and alone, with neither Irene nor Colby really trying, I think, to understand the problem. 

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, D.B said:

Back from my holiday and caught up. Happy Birthday to me!!!

Happy birthday. Hope you enjoyed your holiday.

I enjoyed the Ben, Maggie and Diggy scenes, bringing some much needed light relief amongst the Bella trauma.

That's one way to get out of the washing up, you naughty bad girl.

Happy Birthday D.B.   Hope you've enjoyed your holiday and having a great Birthday!

I'm glad that Irene FINALLY made a break through with Bella.  Bella has a lot of emotional baggage, but she is vulnerable and complex.  I really like her and think she's bubbly under the surface.

Pleased for Colby and Willow too.

Jasmine and Robbo are so isolated.

Ben and Maggie seem to be dragging Dean and Ziggy kicking and screaming into an adult relationship, but it's heavy going and I'm not even sure they want one, for all Dean's talk of "being around for the long haul". There seemed to be a glimmer of something when he seemed to go to her room just to cuddle her...and then next time we see them, they're naked and it changes to him sneaking through her window for a quickie again. So I was pleased with the way Ben and Maggie pushed the issue, making them stay for breakfast and then Ben telling Dean to use the front door in future.I also have to give Willow credit for trying to include Ziggy in their "family".

You know? I'm still totally on Bella's side and hoping she sticks to her guns.(I notice she's now a regular: Guess with Brody gone they had a vacancy.) I think Irene has handled this completely wrong. It's all right saying "My house, my rules" but when the person you're saying it to doesn't want to be there and was moved in without any consultation, then Bella saying she's being kept prisoner isn't that much of an exaggeration.The only thing Irene's achieved is making Colby look good in comparison, not that he was able to keep it up for long.Irene went in way too hard, way too fast, pretty much greeting Bella with "Here are the rules", tricking her into the dishes thing by making her food and then arbitarily declaring that everyone washes their own dishes even when they've eaten together, and now has nowhere to go except escalating punishments as Bella refuses to play ball. I got a bit of satisfaction from the shocked look on her face when Bella refused to back down and then "dealt with the plates" in her own way. She's interfered without having a clue, relying on a simplistic and old-fashioned attitude of "Children need structure and discipline", with her "She won't be the first stroppy teenager I've dealt with and she won't be the last" sounding both like a threat and like she needs to get a life. She even seemed to turn on Ryder: I really didn't get that threat to call John (who's out of town anyway?), unless it was some deep subtext where she wanted him to take a hint.I'm disappointed at how pro-Irene Willow is as well, as if there's a pecking order and because Irene's been on the show 20-odd years she has to be viewed as being in the right. I wasn't keen on her laying down the law to Colby and telling him not to let Bella come home.

I meant to say days ago and forgot: Was that Isabella Giovinazzo on the soundtrack at the end of Monday, when Brody was looking through his and Ziggy's old things? Because in-universe, that was the song Phoebe wrote for Justin!

31 minutes ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

I meant to say days ago and forgot: Was that Isabella Giovinazzo on the soundtrack at the end of Monday, when Brody was looking through his and Ziggy's old things? Because in-universe, that was the song Phoebe wrote for Justin!

Phoebe's a dirty plagiarist ?

Good for Willow standing up to Bella. She needed to hear those home truths.  Good that Bella apologised to Irene and actually seemed to mean it.  The scene with them making cakes was nice.

It's good that so many of the adults are so tolerant of Bella because of her situation though.

I think Bella made the right decision to stay at Irene's.

I'm glad Marilyn has decided to stay in the Bay, whatever John decides.  He's just being an idiot.  How dare he say that Maz is turning her back on Jett.

Happy belated Birthday D.B.

Diggy NOOO!!:puke:

I think it was right it was just a Morgan family farewell dinner, not even Leah or Ryder  were included.  Nice reminder that the pasta dish was the first meal Brody taught Raffy how to make.  You're right Red we've all had periods when we thought one of them was acting like a dork and turned against them and they've even hated each other at times but when push came to shove they've united and shown what a good family unit they are. Apart from Raffy they only had themselves to rely on each other for a lot of years. Each has acted more adult than the others at times and steered the others back on the right road. Right too it was just a family farewell and Simone wisely staying in the background.  But where was Buddy???  Good luck Brods and Simone who can get back to being Demelza.  He had to get one final swipe in though by his remark to Dean about Ziggy and he'd never be good enough for her. Kind of back fired on him though because Dean confronted Ziggy and I'm glad she was honest enough to admit she was still broken up about her marriage going down the pan but glad that Dean spoke his mind and said he was there for her as long as it took.  I reckon Brody knew Ziggy better than she knew herself by giving her back her items that she left behind, she did dump them but couldn't resist looking at them later.  Fair enough the Wedding Album was a different matter, though it did include both families, would they both not have had a smaller version of it?  Small point baywatcher but  it  takes two to have an affair.  It must have taken guts for Brody to speak one last time to Ben & Maggie and I think it was pretty decent of him to offer them the album, he didn't want it and it would have been wrong just to dispose of it. He thanked them for standing by him when he was going through his drug using time but tactfully he didn't remind them that he stood by them all when Maggie was going through her cancer treatment when a lot of guys could have done a runner thinking !I didn't sign up for this!.  So all in all a pretty amicable goodbye between them.

Both Ben & Maggie seem quite laid back about Ziggy dating an (ex) River Boy - even making wedding plans - good grief the girl isn't divorced yet!:lol:  Good parallel Maggie made between how they think of Dean and how Diana thought of Ben, bit of  a drifter with no 'proper' job.  Half a chuckle when Maggie came in and nearly sprung Dean in Ziggy's room, she wasn't at all fooled when Ziggy spun her the line about it being Coco on the phone.  Quick call to Ben to put him in the picture so he could quiz Dean.  I think the fact they aren't making s big deal of it is the right way to handle it.  Now Dean knows where he stands re Ziggy they can take it at their own pace. Even Willow seemed cool with it once she and Ziggy had their talk. I don't think Ben has been the first dad to threaten to nail that bedroom window shut!  Dean handled the impromptu breakfast OK and was very open about his family situation though it took Maggie aback, laughed at Ziggy's parting comment about looking into adoptive parents.   I don't think money does bother Dean too much, though as they are doing better Ben could pay him a wage. We all know his has his secret stash which he's hardly touched and when he has it hasn't been for himself.  So embarrassing for Ziggy & Dean when Ben & Maggie 'woke' them, :blush:they'd changed places in bed.

I genuinely think Irene thought she could handle Bella but that girl's problem are a lot more deep rooted than anyone realises.  What is so wrong about asking someone to wash up their own dishes, put their washing away, keep their room clean?  Did Colby do everything for Bella when she was staying with him?  Willow was a messy cow when she first moved in but buckled down.  I'm thinking Bella is rebelling against Irene because it was something she wouldn't have dared to do with Ross and in effect he did keep her prisoner. Irene looked really scared when Bella smashed the plates and the look in her eyes.  Discipline can mean a lot of things from removing privileges to punishment aka a beating/shut up. We've seen Bella looking unhappy with her own behaviour when no-one is looking but feels she has to put this tough act on.  It's like it's her way of protecting herself.

Bella needs to get help and fast before she ends up braining somebody (Some of you argue "It might knock some sense into that murdering brother of hers") but 9/10 times she will end up twatting SOMEONE that doesn't deserve it!  Ryder, Robbo or any other male better have their protective cup handy!

I imagine Ross would have backhanded her Al Simpson style if she had tried that s***'s she currently doing with Reenie.

Somewhere in Someone's fanfic, Dean may just be knocking off Maggie on the side (Go Him!) :)

Bella telling Irene about her abusive dad and Irene saying “you and Colby didn’t deserve to go through that!”
Have you forgotten you abused your own children Reenie and they were put into care?

Archived