2019 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

I'm not a massive Bella fan but I did feel for her when she was under the pier.  My sympathy had waned somewhat by the time she got to Irene's and started misbehaving.

Dean is a man of many talents.  It's nice that he went after Bella and got her to open up.

I liked Willow & Ziggy's chat.

Nice that Irene feels that she can help Bella but I hope that she doesn't come to regret it...

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Next time it could be a knife,"Colby says of Bella. Or a gun, eh, Colbs? And that's the thing: Any point that he might have is lost on me because my first thought is always that he has no right to moralise.A week ago, he was yelling at Bella that Ross deserved what he did to him.That's the values that he's teaching her, and then he wonders why her impulse is to use violence to solve things? If she's got worse since she pointed a crossbow at him, then that's on him, not Ross, and that's why I found it frustrating to watch the likes of Alf acting as though she's the sole problem here.And you know what? I really can't bring myself to take Irene's side either.I really thought we'd moved on from the days of Irene deciding that any time a child has even the slighest problem with the people they're living with, she should swoop in and offer herself up as someone who can do it better.(Especially after her disastrous intervention with Luc.) One of the many reasons that bringing in Fake Olivia was a bad idea was that giving the stock "You're like a mother to me, Reenie" dialogue to someone who viewed her as a grandmother figure ten years earlier and whose mother was saying the same things ten years before that really did hammer home the fact that Irene's now two generations on from the teenagers and should be accepting that like Alf has and letting the next generation down take on the parenting role (Alf's got Leah and Roo there as a buffer, and Sally and Miles before that), instead of still trying to play supermum.Irene's place just does not feel like the natural fit for Bella, even with Willow there, because she's more like a big sister figure leaving the parenting to Irene.If they were going to move Bella away from Colby (and part of me thinks she'd be better off almost anywhere other than him), I think I'd rather she'd gone to live with Roo or the Astonis, which feel like a better fit.And especially after Irene's "It shouldn't be Bella's decision", I was actually pleased that she found, to her bewilderment, that her "Take a seat, girlie" schtick doesn't actually work on someone who doesn't want to be there, and find myself hoping she gets a huge reality check and actually fails this time. I don't know, maybe I give Bella a bit too much of a pass at times, but I always feel defensive when the show seems to try and force us to see a character as in the wrong when it's not as black and white as that.

Do we have to keep seeing Dean and Ziggy getting naked? It feels more sleazy than romantic to me.

Bella really needs proper help as in professional - suggested in fact by Simone a while back and ignored by Colby who thought he could cope. Fair enough she's been more or less stable recently until that is the realisation Ziggy & Dean could become an item and break up her 'family'.  I think a   lot more went on in her life with Ross than has been revealed and I don't believe it was that stable, Ross certainly wasn't.  She was acting all tough when Colby told her she was going to Irene's but we saw her looking near to tears.  Bella looked absolutely horrified by her attack on Colby so violence isn't  in her nature, did Colby grabbing her bring up bad memories?  She's putting on one big front and the only one she appears to open up to is Dean, he is good at that.  I do think they need time apart but he really could have put the idea across a  lot better. Bella feels she's been foisted onto Irene  because Colby doesn't want to have her around anymore.  Irene's house rules seemed fair and  I couldn't see anything wrong in Irene expecting Bella to do her fair share of the chores, hardly child labour and she's 16 not six!  Did she not do anything at Colby's apart from maybe keeping her room tidy? Not sure either living with Roo etc or the Astoni's would work Maggie is her principal and Roo is her teacher so she would feel it's like being at school, Irene's is neutral at least and she does have Willow there. 

I could see why Alf didn't want any bother in the club and he didn't know the full story which lead to it. Did I hear right when Maggie and Roo said Bella's behaviour had slipped again, I thought she'd been doing OK?

After Willow snubbing Ziggy I was glad they were able to talk about the Dean situation and Ziggy did appear to convince Willow she wasn't going to hurt Dean, well at least deliberately.  As long they both know it's somewhat casual it should be OK. I don't know about Dean but I tensed every time he and Ben met up.  I was waiting for the "You break Ziggy's heart and I'll break your legs" threat.  Similar to his threat to Brody which actually came to nothing as he didn't land a hand (or fist) on him. Perhaps the way Ben & Maggie  are handling it is the right way to treat it, no warning Ziggy off Dean or him off her, didn't work last time.  Pity that Brody gave the game away by revealing he saw Ziggy and Dean coming out of his van - and more - in front of Ben so he already knew before Dean had the chance to tell him they were a 'couple'. It may have been an old fashioned thing to do but Dean does keep surprising us that way.

Well Coco's visit was short and sweet and caused a whirlwind while she was at it.  I'm surmising she spent time with Raffy and Ryder off screen after Monday been very odd if she hadn't.

It doesn't really matter much plot wise but as it appears there is no lift to Salt - and we have seen then lugging boxes of food, drinks etc up the stairs - but what about heavier items ovens, fridges, could there be a goods left round the back which we don't see?

Deal has been done Salt is sold and Brody & Simone are off to pastures new. We'll no doubt get the usual 'we'll up/down to visit you loads,  and we'll keep in touch' and after a few weeks zilch, neither will be mentioned again, until maybe Tori has her baby.

What a joyful place SB was today. Moody teenager and moody old guy.

I don't get John's 180° about-turn over Jett.  If he was so concerned that Jett would struggle in his own away from family, he should have put his foot down about him moving out.  He seems to be overreacting bigtime.

Forgot to say, Irene needs to get her stair rail seen to, as it's very wobbly (reminded me of Crossroads). I'm sure Ben could fix it, with his super carpentry skills.

45 minutes ago, H&Alover said:

Btw  the word loaf  (of bread) is Cockney rhyming slang for head but is melon some kind of Aus slang for head, Alf used it twice.

I looked online.  Melon is a slang word for head but I'm not sure it's specific to Aus (if it is , I didn't see it on the three websites about Aussie slang I looked at).

You know, I probably shouldn't, but I find myself really hoping Bella sticks to her guns with Irene.She reminds me of Maddy, even more so of Melody, and I think what all three of them have in common is that they went from a restrictive home to living with people whose philosophy seemed to be "You can do whatever you like now, so long as you do what I say", causing them to spend all their time pushing the limits of their new boundaries and ultimately self-destructing while the adults supposedly responsible for them (and much of the fan base) showed a distinct lack of sympathy and understanding.As so here, with Irene making pointless buzz words about "structure and discipline" when she really doesn't have a clue.And that's not entirely her fault, but she's the one that's chosen to interfere.She says that Bella's different.Well, yes, most of the others she's taken on were actually there by choice instead of being forced into it.But more importantly: Irene doesn't and can't know everything, same with a counsellor, same with her teachers.Bella's been lumbered with this secret of what happened to Ross and it'll always be a barrier between her and others (unless of course she does a Dean and is suddenly completely over it). I'm glad that Jasmine expressed the opinion that Irene's hardball approach might not be the right one, so at least it's out there even if Bella does end up having a change of heart.And I did kind of like Roo letting Bella's moodiness wash over her.

It seems like John and Marilyn have switched places from the last time Jett moved out, when Marilyn was the one looking up every detail online and John was the one preferring to assume the best until they heard otherwise.I guess the fact that something did happen then makes it hard for John to relax and trust everything will be all right this time round.He needs to deal with it though because he's being pretty inconsiderate and controlling to everyone.I did feel sympathy for Marilyn, although ironically the thing that was treated as a deal-breaker felt like an overreaction on her part: I'm not sure by what logic she thinks that John calling Jett "my son" means he doesn't consider him her son as well as her reaction implied, it seems a perfectly normal way of referring to him.

On 04/07/2019 at 00:24, Red Ranger 1 said:

"Next time it could be a knife,"Colby says of Bella. Or a gun, eh, Colbs? And that's the thing: Any point that he might have is lost on me because my first thought is always that he has no right to moralise.A week ago, he was yelling at Bella that Ross deserved what he did to him.That's the values that he's teaching her, and then he wonders why her impulse is to use violence to solve things? If she's got worse since she pointed a crossbow at him, then that's on him, not Ross, and that's why I found it frustrating to watch the likes of Alf acting as though she's the sole problem here.And you know what? I really can't bring myself to take Irene's side either.I really thought we'd moved on from the days of Irene deciding that any time a child has even the slighest problem with the people they're living with, she should swoop in and offer herself up as someone who can do it better.(Especially after her disastrous intervention with Luc.) One of the many reasons that bringing in Fake Olivia was a bad idea was that giving the stock "You're like a mother to me, Reenie" dialogue to someone who viewed her as a grandmother figure ten years earlier and whose mother was saying the same things ten years before that really did hammer home the fact that Irene's now two generations on from the teenagers and should be accepting that like Alf has and letting the next generation down take on the parenting role (Alf's got Leah and Roo there as a buffer, and Sally and Miles before that), instead of still trying to play supermum.Irene's place just does not feel like the natural fit for Bella, even with Willow there, because she's more like a big sister figure leaving the parenting to Irene.If they were going to move Bella away from Colby (and part of me thinks she'd be better off almost anywhere other than him), I think I'd rather she'd gone to live with Roo or the Astonis, which feel like a better fit.And especially after Irene's "It shouldn't be Bella's decision", I was actually pleased that she found, to her bewilderment, that her "Take a seat, girlie" schtick doesn't actually work on someone who doesn't want to be there, and find myself hoping she gets a huge reality check and actually fails this time. I don't know, maybe I give Bella a bit too much of a pass at times, but I always feel defensive when the show seems to try and force us to see a character as in the wrong when it's not as black and white as that.

I agree. I actually don't mind that Bella has gone to live with Irene per say (mostly because her living with Colby is clearly not working and I don't think he really knows how to communicate or 'parent' her), but I would've preferred to see someone else take over that kind of fostering or 'surrogate mum' role, as Irene is getting too old now. I guess maybe they felt she needed a storyline but I think it would've made more sense for Leah or Roo to do it - especially Roo as it would've meant Bella would've still had someone about in the form of Ryder, and it would've made getting school work help a lot quicker and easier.

Bella, as I said before, puts up this tough "I don't care" attitude, but then feels guilty for her behaviour, only of course to repeat it later.  Both Raffy & Ryder appeared  to be more on Irene's side and she did look abashed, reckon Dean, if he'd been there, would have told her to go back to Irene's.  I smiled when Bella took Roo to task for ratting on her, she just gave  a cheery wave which took the wind out of Bella's sails. What is Bella's objection to doing the simplest of tasks like washing her plate up, she wasn't asked to clean the whole house from top to bottom.  I don't recall Colby doing everything for her. A counsellor wouldn't know  know everything, not saying they would.  I don't think it's nothing to do with what happened to Ross, it's the previous years after her mum's death and Colby finding her.  I think a lot of stuff is coming up for her, so maybe Irene using the term discipline wouldn't work, did Ross hand out any form of discipline - bearing In mind his idea of it would be different to anyone else's.

Good to see Robbo and Jasmine back, though she was brought down to earth with a bump finding out she'll be sharing a house with a very moody teenager.  We've been here before but I'm guessing there are two/three bedrooms upstairs, Irene's and Willow's. If three Bella will have her own room, if two, she'll be sharing with Willow? Chuckled at Irene's face when she said to Jasmine and Robbo had two days to talk about things and Jas said they'd been um 'busy'.:blush:  Them getting a place of their own is only picking up from where they were before, though of course Colby's place is off the table.

I was thinking the same Red about John and Marilyn.  Why is John so anxious about Jett, the Army would have made sure everything he wanted/needed was in place, made sure the flat was adapted to his requirements.  He's swung back to how he was before Alf had a word in his shell like. He was over worrying about everything, snapping at Ryder, telling Marilyn it was nothing to do with her.  Methinks not a good time to be moving Raffy back in, John would think she's replacing Jett, and I would have to agree with him there, she's not going anywhere.  I do have to disagree about John's outburst to Marilyn about Jett being "my son", I would have found that very hurtful, it's the way he said it, Marilyn adopted him too, so yes I'd think he thought of Jett that way and that she had nothing to do with it. Not only that he does it in front of Leah, Roo and Alf. You don't think his brain tumour has made a reappearance?

Archived