2020 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

Irene twice said that Angelo wouldn't have arrested Thorne without reason.No matter how much Thorne might try and pretend, the people who've been around long enough know Angelo wouldn't fit someone up because he's had an affair with his wife.I do think Angelo's in character: This is reminiscent of his dogged pursuit of Hugo back in 2009, and while he was slightly wide of the mark that time (Hugo was involved but lower down the food chain than Angelo seemed to think), this time he's spot on.As with Leah and Justin here, the older characters seem shocked by Colby's arrest, but they're not actually ruling it out.Maybe they've seen the mask slip enough times to know he's capable.

I don't think Willow particularly wanted Ziggy to tell Dean she still loved him, and Ziggy was right to pull back after suggesting they could get back together.Dean and Willow visit Colby off screen, but it's not clear if Dean mentioned to Colby his plan to throw himself onto his funeral pyre.Colby would have at least two reasons to try and dissuade him.

Tori's back in nervous schoolgirl mode where Christian's concerned.When she's not aiming for sultry that is.And Justin is squirming at too much information.Tori dumping Grace on Justin and Leah was amusing, but she should have known Christian would be spark out.Should have had that nap... Justin's comment on the motorcyclist not seeing it coming was extremely black comedy: Even Leah seemed to wince!

Martha did a better job of explaining to Roo than she did to Alf, making it sound like she wanted something to fall back on if they split up.Hopefully she'll do a better job with take two.

Edited by Red Ranger 1

I wish they would play Justin's story to show the seriousness and impact cancer can really have on everybody instead of shoe Horning it in there so we can have they cringe worthy annoying scenes of Silly Tori and Christian very boring sooozefest

I enjoy the Colby and Angleo battle Colby plays a good villan to be fair 

It seems we are seeing older residents reactions to Colby's arrest very differently Red.  Coloured by, I guess, who we think has been more manipulative. Both are cops, but Rosetta is  a  detective  and using his position to bend the rules to suit him and his belief Colby is guilty.  Irene and Alf are going by their memories of the 'old' Rosetta, the one who helped Hugo and Martha get away, they haven't seen him in action as the 'new' Rosetta.  I know we know Colby is guilty but Rosetta doesn't and he doesn't, to me at least, appear to be following police guidelines, even before he found out about Taylor and Colby, he was rule bending.

I so wanted to give Dean a hug? after Ziggy said although she still loved him she couldn't get past him having been part of a murder.   I hope he doesn't do anything stupid and takes in what she said.  

It was hard enough for Martha to explain to Roo why she needed to keep Merimbula, so of course it would be trickier trying to get Alf to get it. At least he was open to listening to her.  Maybe if she told him it wasn't to get away from him  and Roo but especially but so as to not put them through the worry of seeing her getting herself back together. ? Did chuckle when Martha and Roo were in the Diner and Marilyn was hovering hoping to pick up on the gossip  but was discreetly shooed away. ?

Look who's back!!!  What did Roo do that was, in her own words, so terrible, was it as I suggested earlier she asked Owen to marry her? ??

We needed some light relief and Tori and Christian provided it.   Pitfall of dating a surgeon, you never know then their services will be called on. She did look good in that dress but as before far tmi for Justin's liking. ?  OK for Leah to crack risque jokes with maybe her and Marilyn but she is his sister. She did a rubbish job of trying to avoid him the next day, but he wasn't put off by the fact she looked normal, which says a lot for him.  Another day long date for them both, amazing he lasted that long and yes it was inevitable he'd fall asleep as soon as Tori left him alone. ??

On 19/01/2021 at 11:25, Red Ranger 1 said:

Discussion of today's episode follows:

Dean seems to be in a throw-himself-to-the-lions mood.To be honest, I can't really argue if he ends up in the cell next to Thorne, since they did bury that body together.There's one thing he's not considered though: For all his promises to take the sole blame if the police came calling, Thorne's still staying tight-lipped and refusing to say anything. (He can't let Angelo win, after all.) So if Dean goes in there saying "He did it and I was there with him", that's his already flimsy plan blown up.

On 18/01/2021 at 13:08, Red Ranger 1 said:

I don't like the idea of Bella and Ryder parting on bad terms, so hopefully they have the chance to clear the air.In the short term, he may well have saved Nikau and the others from copping a beating.In the long term, they've still got troubles.Paul Something does seem to be the one calling the shots.

1. What beating? From what I saw Tane and Ari were kicking their butts. Theres also the fact that its really naive to call the cops thinking theyre going to resolve a situation and arrest the right party, especially when one party is from the Paratas background.

2. Dean is depressed and desperate for something to live for. He lost Jai, he lost Ziggy and to him Colby is the only thing he can actually look out for. 

And in regards to Amber leaving, I disagree with the logic. She didnt have to leave to protect Jai. It was self serving that she tried to make everything Dean's fault. There wasnt a war between Dean and Francesca, it was just Dean wanting fair custody of Jai because SHE kept threatening to take him away every time Dean disagreed with her on something. She could have told her mom to either be civil with Dean or leave. She could have learned to compromise with Dean instead of forcing him into a one sided double standard. Instead she ran away so she could avoid a bad situation she didnt want to take responsibility for.

1 hour ago, Nephlim14 said:

1. What beating? From what I saw Tane and Ari were kicking their butts. Theres also the fact that its really naive to call the cops thinking theyre going to resolve a situation and arrest the right party, especially when one party is from the Paratas background.

2. Dean is depressed and desperate for something to live for. He lost Jai, he lost Ziggy and to him Colby is the only thing he can actually look out for. 

Well, they started off well, but they were outnumbered already and the other side probably had reserves. At this point, the thorny issue becomes...who is the right party? The dealers were the one who turned up looking for a fight, but Tane at least had broken the law so it's not a case of one side's completely innocent and the other side's completely guilty. Of course, if none of them talk to the police, then it's a moot point.As for Dean, as I pointed out, telling the police that Colby did it doesn't really qualify as looking out for him, or at least not in Colby's book when he's still hoping to ride it out.

5 hours ago, H&Alover said:

It seems we are seeing older residents reactions to Colby's arrest very differently Red.  Coloured by, I guess, who we think has been more manipulative. Both are cops, but Rosetta is  a  detective  and using his position to bend the rules to suit him and his belief Colby is guilty.  Irene and Alf are going by their memories of the 'old' Rosetta, the one who helped Hugo and Martha get away, they haven't seen him in action as the 'new' Rosetta.  I know we know Colby is guilty but Rosetta doesn't and he doesn't, to me at least, appear to be following police guidelines, even before he found out about Taylor and Colby, he was rule bending.

Well, you can complain about his tactics all you want, but at the end of the day, Angelo's investigating a crime, Colby was the one who committed the crime and Angelo's arrested him for it. Hence my Gene Hunt comparison: Angelo's not being "nice", not even to his own wife (Gene Hunt had one by the way, at least in Life on Mars, but we never saw her), but it comes down to him doing whatever he thinks is necessary, within the rules or otherwise, to catch the culprit.

Aaand today. Alf and Martha sat down and had that chat (with added John, another one not immediately leaping to Colby's defence) and actually ended up dealing with it quite well once they both got their heads round what the other was thinking.Alf did make the offer to move to Merimbula but Martha didn't feel it was necessary.So I guess they're paying two lots of council tax! (Assuming Australia has that or a close equivalent...)

Roo was being extremely childish, pretty much solely down to embarrassment, and put a lot of unfair pressure on Ryder to keep Owen away, so I'm glad she decided to be an adult about it in the end.And Owen finally gets credited as Owen Davidson! (Which at least puts him ahead of characters like Jade who have surnames floating around on the internet that were never mentioned on the show.)

It took a lot of false starts, but Tori and Christian finally got there.Justin continues to be a good source of one-liners but looks like it might have finally stopped being funny as the treatment takes its toll.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

Well, they started off well, but they were outnumbered already and the other side probably had reserves. At this point, the thorny issue becomes...who is the right party? The dealers were the one who turned up looking for a fight, but Tane at least had broken the law so it's not a case of one side's completely innocent and the other side's completely guilty. Of course, if none of them talk to the police, then it's a moot point.As for Dean, as I pointed out, telling the police that Colby did it doesn't really qualify as looking out for him, or at least not in Colby's book when he's still hoping to ride it out.

1. Hmm I must have missed that detail. My issue was more with the principle behind the call. Ryder seemed a bit.......naive in his belief. As a principle, I think its a bit narrow minded to call police with a belief that theyll be the white knight in a situation. Also, I doubt innocence would have mattered considering Colby was involved. If it haadnt been for Angelo breathing down his neck, he probaably would have tried to whip something up to keep them from leaving.......again.

Well, after enduring Colby's combination of emotional blackmail, bullying, self-righteousness, corruption, smugness and a refusal to admit anything was his own fault for more than a year now, seeing him hauled off by Angelo and Murray and being condemned by Taylor was more satisfying than it was probably intended to be. It's extremely telling that the first thing he does when a tearful and frightened Bella visits him in the cell was to immediately question her about who could have informed on him (I refuse to use the term betrayed), up to the point of belittling her about telling Nikau, and it was also a lot of fun to see his face once Angelo tells him that he will most likely be refused bail. On the topic of Angelo, I still don't like him and I think that Taylor (who's no saint herself) deserves better than both him and Thorne, but I never really had an issue with his tactics in stopping Thorne. I'd prefer someone who would bend the rules (i.e. staying within the confines of the law even if it causes a breach in the intent of the law) when necessary to stop a man who shouldn't be wearing a badge to begin with rather than one who repeatedly and outright broke the law for his own personal gains. The two situations can't really be compared, in my opinion. Anything Angelo did to stop Thorne is a drop in the ocean compared to Colby's actions. This witness must have been a very convincing one for Angelo to actually be able to charge him. So, now Thorne's got to face the music, and I have no shame in admitting I'm getting the popcorn ready. ?

I'm a bit conflicted when it comes to Bella and Dean. On one hand, I kind of get that they both would be worried about Thorne, but on the other hand, I think they ought to consider if Thorne deserves their worry for him. I mean, it was only last week when Bella (100% accurately, in my own opinion) said he was acting just like Ross, and now she's terrified about him going to prison? Dean's situation is a bit more understandable from where I'm standing, because, as Nephlim14 stated, he may be looking for something that he could still look after, which I agree with. Though then again, after all his bitterness against Colby (I really need to decide which one I'm going to refer him as: Thorne or Colby? ?), I think he should consider about giving Thorne up as a lost cause, as he probably should have done so ages ago. Also I wasn't impressed by Dean's attitude towards Nikau, it must be said. 

• Like 1

Have we seen Bella visit Colby in his cell in the UK yet?  Or are we talking abut her off screen visit? 

When a  cop investigates a crime, especially a murder, he/she is meant to look at all possibilities not focus on one person on whom you have no proof, evidence did it, clue is in the name - investigate. He seemed most annoyed when Willow came up that made up suspect as he didn't want to believe anyone BUT Colby did it.  Ok I'll revise my comment about Rosetta, the townsfolk have seen his not so pleasant side.  Btw unless I misheard when Rosetta arrested Colby shouldn't he have said 'suspected murder of Ross Dixon'?  Colby hadn't confessed to it so he is according to the law, still a suspect. Rosetta had got the wrong man jailed before so he does need to get it right this time.

Was it Alf offering to sell up and move to Merimbula what changed Martha's mind, is she keeping the place??  Bound to be something else they disagree about  in the future.  I did like their making up. ?John did his usual crashing in where he's not wanted but made up for it later with Leah and Justin. 

Unfair on Owen that Alf and to a degree Marilyn thought he was in the wrong and he'd upset Roo. May seem an old fashioned term but he was very gentlemanly  in saying nothing and saying that they should talk to Roo.   Maz was being very naive  in not catching on what Roo was talking about.  That is quite a biggie calling your new love by your late love's name even if it didn't get that far.?  The one and only and may be a feeble excuse is they are/were identical twins. Would have been worse if Owen looked nothing like Evan.  Has been a long time since Roo has been in a relationship so would be a bit rusty.  Owen seemed able to understand and forgive her, but then we saw her storm off in a huff again.

Yes at last and it was worth the wait!   Poor Justin being asked by his sister if she should wake up Christian so they could make love.  Lucky John was there to help Leah with Justin.