2020 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

31 minutes ago, Slade said:

I was surprised Ari didn't complete lose it when Tane told him about the trouble he was in.  He actually handled it really well.  Interestingly, the drug dealer made clear his issue was with Tane and gave Ari every opportunity to stay out of it.  Most of the time these people will go after family and close friends.

I think that Ari feels responsible for the way Tane turned out. I remember Ari telling Mac that Tane was the best student and well behaved kid until he went to jail. When he got out Tane was completely different person. He is aware that he and Mikaere were bad role models and now has no other choice but to back him up - he's the only brother he's got. Tane said that he was young when Ari and Mikaere moved to Australia, so I assume he's joined them maybe after finishing high school, however I would like to know where their parents are. I actually like seeing them get along. 

Edited by Lila_Q

I seem to recall Tane mentioning he went to the same school as Ari and Mikaere, I think in Australia?

Well, I've been waiting for this day for nearly two years...I cheered at Colby realising Taylor wants nothing to do with him, and at his complete failure to gaslight Bella, and at his also complete failure to find something to hold the Paratas for yet again.And then of course that ending, with him still trying to play innocent despite the game seeming to be well and truly up.I am concerned that Angelo decided to give the order more to prove a point than anything else after Colby's repeated claims that he's got nothing.Is his case water-tight? His inspector didn't think so, and even if there's a chance he can convince a jury, he's still taking a risk.

So I'm guessing those were the scenes Dan told us about before Christmas, with Jasmine and Taylor clearly on the fake beach with a couple of back shots of them on the real beach spliced in? If, as seemed to be implied, Jasmine was planning to get Colby to father a child with her, then that's the worst idea in a year full of bad ideas and his arrest came at just the right time.I know she hasn't seen the side of Colby that we have but seriously? It seems rather premature anyway: Tori felt her biological clock ticking but Jasmine's still in her 20s.

I don't like the idea of Bella and Ryder parting on bad terms, so hopefully they have the chance to clear the air.In the short term, he may well have saved Nikau and the others from copping a beating.In the long term, they've still got troubles.Paul Something does seem to be the one calling the shots.

3 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

Well, I've been waiting for this day for nearly two years...I cheered at Colby realising Taylor wants nothing to do with him, and at his complete failure to gaslight Bella, and at his also complete failure to find something to hold the Paratas for yet again.And then of course that ending, with him still trying to play innocent despite the game seeming to be well and truly up.I am concerned that Angelo decided to give the order more to prove a point than anything else after Colby's repeated claims that he's got nothing.Is his case water-tight? His inspector didn't think so, and even if there's a chance he can convince a jury, he's still taking a risk.

I suppose you slapped on "Jump Around" and bounced around your living room when this happened or at least set off party poppers???

I think Tane was referring to when they were in NZ??   Ari did time in Aus which is where he met Dean. They do work well when they work together - the Parata's I mean.  Lee and Paul didn't have a lot of choice but to go along with the idea, did the rest of the gang get questioned - Yabbie Creek nick isn't that big.   Ari ringing rings round Colby was enjoyable.  Of course it's not over, Paul and co will just chose somewhere less public, I mean a residential street in the middle of the day!  But had all the neighbours died or been abducted by aliens?     It is an unusual move for drug dealers to be that upfront about getting revenge/their money back.  More of a reason for Ari and Tane wanting Nik and Bella out of there.   It was unfair and wrong for Bella to accuse Colby being the one who turned up, he was just answering a call out to a punch up.  What is he meant to so say "Sorry I can't go, it'll upset my sister". 

Btw Mac reminded Bella of the time she was Public Enemy No.1 in Bella's eyes when she didn't want Colby to leave her side, especially for her.  Bella had to tell her something about why she's leaving, hence the Colby's sleeping with Taylor line. 

Colby wasn't the only one in Taylor's bad books so was Rosetta with more reason in my eyes.  He had the nerve to say Colby was using her, which OK he was, but totally ignoring the fact he did the self same thing even to the extent of bugging her necklace and he's her husband!  He couldn't answer her question as to why he didn't just talk to her when he found out, but that would have spoilt the game he was playing with Colby.   Rosetta seemed genuinely stunned when Taylor said their marriage was in trouble before the whole Colby thing which if you think about it is true. If everything had been solid between them Colby wouldn't have got a look in.  Colby, if I remember things correctly, hasn't confessed to anything, he asked questions, but nothing to incriminate himself or others.  Did he say yes when Taylor asked him if he killed Ross when he yanked the necklace off her and before he threw it away?  She's acting pretty cool if he did and who side has Taylor opted to be on?   

I still maintain there is more to it than there looks.  Right from the start Rosetta had Colby in his sights for Ross' murder when initially Colby acted like anyone would, he made no pretence he was sorry Ross was dead but nothing to indicate he'd killed him.  If we didn't know any better would we have worked out it was Colby? Rosetta was OK when questioning Bella, not bad with Dean, though we never saw his interview with Willow, it was just Colby he leant on.   That arrest -  was that really necessary to make it that public or was it to humiliate Colby in front of everyone including Bella and Taylor.  

Yes that talk between Taylor and Jasmine, she must have been biting her tongue pretty hard when Jas was waxing lyrical about Colby. ?

Jasmine hasn't seen Colby's dark side, he has been only good to her, apart from he lost it when she revealed he'd been a River Boy, but they got past it.  He helped her get through Robbo dying and been  a good friend. That certainly is a way, way out there idea of having him as an IVF donor, even if he would have been willing.  She may not want to wait, Tori thought she had more time, Jasmine is a nurse so knows there may be hidden complications.  Now, of course, that has been blown out of the water. 

Forgot to mention before that I found it really funny that everybody bar Ryder knew exactly why it would have been problematic calling the police on the drug dealers when they rocked up at Tane's.

Again, feel sorry for Taylor despite the fact she did the dirty on Angelo.  As far as she's concerned Angelo and Colby really are two sides of the same coin.  Both of them using her to get the better of the other in terms of the case.  Angelo clearly doesn't really care about his marriage as he wouldn't have tried to blackmail Taylor into picking a side re him/Colby.  And if he really cared, he might have confronted Taylor before bugging her.  When she made her point that she fell for Colby was because he neglected her, I actually laughed when Angelo said he'd been faithful as it's fairly obvious, he wouldn't have cheated on her as he was too focused on his work.  Not doubting his ability as a detective, just as a husband.  I will say I quite enjoyed the interaction with Jasmine and Taylor and assuming Angelo is here temporarily, I would like to see Taylor stay on if/when he leaves.

It's funny watching Jasmine over these last few episodes.  She works far better in scenes where she's not tied to the Morgans.  Irene continues to be the master at facial expressions in conversations with her.  Irene's reaction when Jasmine said she wanted a baby was quite amusing.  I'm tempted to say Jasmine came across as deluded but objectively she's not been party to the stuff that has gone on with Colby.  So from her perspective she briefly dated him, it didn't work out and they're good friends.

Again continued to enjoy the rivalry with Angelo and Colby.  I loved it when they were in each others faces at Salt but the best part was when Angelo arrested him at the end.  So glad he did it in front of an audience.  My only regret was that there weren't more main characters to witness it.  Although, even when Colby was getting handcuffed he did not seem that phased at all and was still quite convincing, blaming the arrest on Angelo being narked that he was seeing Taylor.

Discussion of today's episode follows:

It's always extremely satisfying to see Thorne's smug bubble get well and truly punctured, and this is probably the most it's ever happened. He was as cocky and swaggering as ever during the arrest and interrogation, convinced that Angelo had nothing on him and he'd be out of there if he kept quiet, only for the reality to hit him as he was processed and flung in a cell.I unfortunately found Bella rather annoying with her insistence that they're not allowed to treat Colby like this, and then insanely trying to blame it all on Taylor who's only in the middle of this because Thorne dragged her there for self-serving reasons, which resulted in me having less sympathy when Dean turned on Nikau in the same way.Of course, she's just acting the way she's been taught and the way people around her act, as Thorne still looking for someone else to blame demonstrated.I suggested a while back that Bella would be best off with Ziggy and Mackenzie: Having Nikau along as a plus one isn't ideal, but at least she's away from some of her bad influences.

Dean seems to be in a throw-himself-to-the-lions mood.To be honest, I can't really argue if he ends up in the cell next to Thorne, since they did bury that body together.There's one thing he's not considered though: For all his promises to take the sole blame if the police came calling, Thorne's still staying tight-lipped and refusing to say anything. (He can't let Angelo win, after all.) So if Dean goes in there saying "He did it and I was there with him", that's his already flimsy plan blown up.

Interesting that Alf and Irene both seemed open to the possibility of Thorne being guilty while Jasmine and Mackenzie were both convinced of his innocence: I guess given that they've both been intimate with him, they really don't want to consider it.I think this is why using Angelo instead of Generic Detective 5 has worked, since it helps that he's someone that older viewers and older characters know as well as Colby. Murray in the arrest party, just oozing a sense of betrayal.

20 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

Interesting that Alf and Irene both seemed open to the possibility of Thorne being guilty while Jasmine and Mackenzie were both convinced of his innocence: I guess given that they've both been intimate with him, they really don't want to consider it.I think this is why using Angelo instead of Generic Detective 5 has worked, since it helps that he's someone that older viewers and older characters know as well as Colby. Murray in the arrest party, just oozing a sense of betrayal.

This Angelo seems to be very different to the one we had before.  More ruthless and vindictive.

If memory serves, he left the Bay with Nicole and her baby to raise a family and set up another restaurant.  They still haven't told us what happened with Nicole or how he got back in the police force after letting Hugo escape.

1 hour ago, English Invader said:

This Angelo seems to be very different to the one we had before.  More ruthless and vindictive.

If memory serves, he left the Bay with Nicole and her baby to raise a family and set up another restaurant.  They still haven't told us what happened with Nicole or how he got back in the police force after letting Hugo escape.

They've done both.  He and Nicole broke up and he re-joined the police, but there was another scandal.

Just now, H&Alover said:

Slade: You could argue Rosetta's work is his mistress  and cares more about that then her. Taylor, in fact, blamed Rosetta more for his actions as he is her husband.

I didn't see either Irene or Alf being open to Colby being guilty, in fact a majority of the bay folk, apart from the Parata's who have their own reasons not to like him,  see Colby as a good guy.  Rosetta doesn't have anything on Colby, just his suspicions and this mysterious witness. The only witness, as far as we are aware, is Dean who actually saw Colby shoot Ross.  Did someone else see it or see them bury the body? ?

Seems Taylor didn't choose Rosetta's side, that wiped the smug grin off his face, she choose no-one's telling Colby they could both go to hell.  They are as bad as each other. 

OK, there will be Mac, Ziggy, Bella and Nikau living in the same house with only Mac unaware of the truth, that could make things a tad awkward conversation wise.  All  Bella has told her is that Colby had been sleeping with Rosetta's wife which is why he is on Colby's case and that was to shut her up asking 'why' all the time.  Big decision by Nikau to forgo his move to NZ so he could be with Bella and I liked how he stood up to Dean.

Talking of Dean, I get how he feels he ought to fess up but he hasn't thought of what that could mean long term, any chance he may have of seeing Jai again would be right down the pan if he goes to jail.  Willow was emotionally blackmailing Ziggy into telling Dean she still loved him in order to put him off the whole idea.