2020 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

4 hours ago, Nephlim14 said:

And I dont think its fair to say he wasnt as hurt by his brother's death as Ari was.

I'm not saying he wasn't hurt by it. Just that he didn't relate it to his own life in the same way that Ari did.It didn't occur to him that the same thing could happen to him.It was hard to get a read on him today.He seemed a bit cocky when he came back with what he thought was the money he needed, although he was perhaps more contrite with Nikau.(Sadly, I can't take Nikau's "Stop treating me like a kid" line seriously when he spends so much time acting like one.I will never understand why the show made him so old and then wrote him so young.)By the end of the episode, it's clear that Paul and Leon are determined to keep Tane wriggling on that hook.This does not please him, even when he's getting money out of it.

Mackenzie was more bothered about the prospect of Colby going to jail than I thought she'd be after her behaviour yesterday, but maybe it's understandable when they were close once.Or maybe she's just worried about Dean being dragged down with him.I found Irene's reaction yesterday somewhat ambivalent: She told Jasmine she did a "nice" thing but discouraged her from getting any more involved.

Rolled my eyes a bit at the litany of excuses for why no-one's coming to Grace's birthday party other than the current cast.I'm still more bothered about Mason not getting to see her grow up than Robbo, so disappointed he didn't get a mention.Did Jasmine really not realise Christian was coming?

Marilyn seems to want to have her cake and eat it, ending the marriage and then expecting John to sit around pining.The fact that there was one piece of gossip he wasn't sharing obviously caught her attention.

• Like 1

That was another crappy episode I thought while the attention should have been on Justin We had annoying Tori screeching over a birthday cake my word she was loud 

Ari and Tane back already I would have thought we might have seen them do the robbery or whatever 

I'm not excusing his behaviour by any means but he has only killed once and we all know why.  Ross was no way in any one's wildest imagination an innocent, hadn't been for years.  If Ross had kept his trap shut, he'd be in a nice cosy cell but no he had to have that last jibe to Colby about Bella.    I said in my post about what Colby would want to do when he discovers the names of the witnesses, apart from X that is, he won't be allowed anywhere near them, Rosetta  would be breathing down his neck and I mentioned witness intimidation.   It's been said plenty of times, Jasmine only knows him as good Colby, the one she had  a  brief fling  with, the one who has been a good friend to her, who helped her get through Robbo's death.  He must have had one hell of a lawyer to get bail and had to to return to the bay  as he'd need a address and he'd have to report to the cops at Yabbie Creek, every day/every other day.   Most people would rather not go to jail, especially a cop, look what happened to Dylan Carter.  

Ari and Tane got back unscathed only to walk into a mouthful from Nikau, I know he's someone else you don't like  but it wouldn't matter what age he is Ari and Tane still think of him as Mikaere's little boy and their 'little' nephew. Mac was backed into a corner and had no choice really but to tell Nik what was behind the broken window. Of course Nik's annoyed, on one hand he's being told they are all one family, the next he's being shut out because his uncles want to 'protect' him. ?  Wouldn't it be better if he knew what was going on so he could watch out for himself and Bella?  

I know Tane and Ari are no Einstein's but even I know there is no such thing as 'one last job'.  Tane wasn't making money out of it, that 'bonus' was Paul's way of saying 'you still owe me'.  The next 'last job' will also carry a 'bonus' and the next and the next. 

Ari knew there was more to Mac's hypothetical murmurings but didn't push it, thinking she was talking about Dean. Despite everything Colby has done since Ross' murder I do believe him when he says he'll keep Dean out of it.   

It's going to get serious enough pretty soon so what was wrong with having  some fun moments?  Tori may well be a top surgeon but she is obviously rubbish at baking and cooking.  Going off on a tandem, seeing as she clearly good at sewing people up with I dare say very neat stitches how is she at sewing on buttons, repairing tears in shirts  and embroidery??  Grace isn't going to care one jot what her cake looks like, she's only one, it's always more to impress the other adults at the party.  It was good to see Jasmine involved in it all.  That bracelet she got was beautiful and be a lovely reminder of her dad when Grace is old enough to appreciate it. Apart from Ian's accident they were pretty lame excuses why Brody and Ava couldn't make it. Never a mention of Simone when Brody gets in contact.  I'm hoping they will mention Mason, along with Robbo,  at the party itself, otherwise a bad error on the writer's  part. 

Is that a new ring tone John has on his phone? While it's funny for now it could get very annoying.  Marilyn did seem put out that John is dipping his toe in the dating pool, but as told Alf he's just looking.

Curiously I found I didn't really dislike anyone at the party and felt sorry for quite a few people.Especially Jasmine.She sounded bitter a lot of the time, but she did seem to be trying her best to hold it in and not spoil things for everyone.Tori was a bit insensitive brushing aside her present, but she was obviously flustered at the time.And yes, we did get a mention of Mason, so I was pleased about that.And while Tori inevitably said "You should have told me", she did apologise straightaway and realise the situation Christian was in.So Justin's back in hospital.Hopefully he'll come out better this time.

A bit of a role reversal for Alf and Martha, with her determined to sort out Roo and Owen, and Alf thinking they're better off out of it.Her efforts don't seem to have made things any better.Ryder only appears in the last scene and wasn't credited, so I'm guessing that was moved from tomorrow.

9 hours ago, H&Alover said:

Ari and Tane got back unscathed only to walk into a mouthful from Nikau, I know he's someone else you don't like  but it wouldn't matter what age he is Ari and Tane still think of him as Mikaere's little boy and their 'little' nephew. Mac was backed into a corner and had no choice really but to tell Nik what was behind the broken window. Of course Nik's annoyed, on one hand he's being told they are all one family, the next he's being shut out because his uncles want to 'protect' him. ?  Wouldn't it be better if he knew what was going on so he could watch out for himself and Bella?  

I think another reason for Nik being ticked off is because they more or less took off without letting him know what they were doing. I theorize that it probably triggered him and/or reminded of when they went off to the bank robbery. In his eyes, if their job had gone wrong, he would have been in the same position he was when he lost his dad.

• Like 1

Party did go well and Justin did amazingly  to last as long as he did.  To be fair Tori didn't know how special Jasmine's gift was, I hope she appreciates the meaning behind it when she does see it.   It wasn't Christian's fault he chose the same one.   Good for you Irene rescuing it from the bin, knew she would.  That was some cake and no way would have Tori's, even if it had turned out OK, gone round all those guests.  The mention of Mason and Robbo was lovely, Tori didn't make a huge thing of it so didn't bring the mood down too much.  I couldn't make out what she said though  it sounded like she said village and the villagers that couldn't be here.  I played it back a couple of times and still couldn't make it out. Anyone know??  Shame it had to end the way it did, Tori did calm down a lot quicker after Christian told her the position he was in than I thought she would. She did acknowledge how stubborn Justin could be. 

It was a role reversal between Alf and Martha and while it seemed things were OK, Owen even teasing Roo about the fact his name was Owen before they disappeared upstairs, they're not.  Sorry to keep banging on about it but the main problem is because Owen is Evan's identical twin, she said herself every time she looks at Owen she sees Evan. and she doesn't know if she could get past it.  Of course if he had just been his brother, twin or not, it would have made things easier but the storyline would have had to have been changed. A new  character played by a different actor turning up after finding out Evan was his brother and looking for him but discovering he was too late.  

From the trailer it looked like Rosetta was meeting up with Witness X and telling them they'd made the right decision - intriguing.   And was it being suggested to Marilyn she sign up to a dating app?  

1 hour ago, H&Alover said:

It wasn't Christian's fault he chose the same one.

The bracelet was Tori's gift to Grace, Christian was just helping her put it on. Probably just as well, as I dread to think how Jas would have reacted if it was from him... ?  Yes Tori did rather strangely refer to Summer Bay as a village.

Little factoid for today's UK ep - the Oz broadcast of the Witness X reveal used the Billie Eilish track 'No Time to Die' (the theme for the upcoming James Bond movie).

Compared the two versions last week, and I think it's a rare occasion where the 'popular music' track actually worked much better than the scored music that UK/international viewers got... ?