2020 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

13 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

Possibly because they wanted the character to be younger, possibly because they felt it would be too big a betrayal for Martha to have not only hidden the fact she had a son but Alf's son, possibly because it allows for the drama of Kieran's dad turning up down the line.

Alf's episode count this week:Four.Otherwise, rather sparse for a finale week, with Colby and Nikau only appearing in one.

Both a lot going on (in terms of characters and storylines) and not a lot (in terms of big developments).So I'll start with Kieran, who becomes the latest person to demonstrate it's only Sally who's rude enough to not address Alf the way he asks them to.We and Alf learn some more about his history, and it does sound like his father was around for a while.He seems to be getting on with Roo and that was a nice scene with John but... It's hard to tell whether he's annoyed with Jasmine for not giving him a job or annoyed with himself for stuffing things up.On one hand, it's good he takes his anger out on a tree (or himself?) rather than another person, but it's still not the healthiest.

Anyone else noticed John and Jasmine seem to have an unusually large amount of scenes together? Not expecting anything more than friendship, but it's an interesting dynamic.Of course, Jasmine's busy making (or rather reuniting with) another friend.Her reference to Robbo dying "last year" opens a whole can of worms, given that it was actually a few episodes into this season that he died so...when was new year? (I am now trying to remember what his grave said before deciding you can think about things too hard.)

Ziggy needed to be straight with Dean, who needs to move on and stop expecting her to change her mind, even without her having gone elsewhere. (Not that he hasn't...) I did think that with Jarrod, Dean and Tane, plus that guy that attacked Maggie, it seems Ziggy definitely has a type and Brody really wasn't it: No wonder they didn't work out! So after all that fuss, Bella does end up spending the night in Chez Parata after all.Lucky she wasn't there when Tane and Ziggy were getting busy down the hall...

And sucks even more to be Colby right now... Were those guards in the background deliberately looking the other way, because that really doesn't say much about the representatives of law and order?

I reckon Kieran's father will be one of those Wolf-in-Sheep's-clothing stories if he does pop up. Martha seems to be giving him the Voldemort treatment or rather the writers (Never speaking his name)

Law and Order seems to be a foreign concept in the Bay (This show the last decade or so). Guards are probably on the take and some of that mob that went for him, Colby probably pulled up for more than parking tickets/loitering... Or intel travels fast in jail especially if you're a cop, murderer, a kiddy fiddler/basher...

Decent finale without having to KILL anyone or blowing anything up but things are bubbling below the surface. Was Cringing for Kieran and was all like "Ease up, Skippy!" (I watch too much damn American TV lol), That was just plain hard to watch.

Kieran being Alf's son would be a bit been there, done that, different dynamic it him being someone else's son. We'll likely see just how much like his dad he is, though much could be down to seeing the way his dad treated Martha and him while he was growing up  and  him thinking it was normal.  Not unlike Colby growing up with Ross who was also a violent, drunken thug and Colby spent most of his youth protecting his mum and Bella, until they were snatched, difference being for most of his life Colby was the exact opposite.   I'm sure there is more to come from Martha about him apart from her being worried about him and Roo being alone together.  He didn't like being told no did he and Jasmine was trying hard to be firm but polite.  Kieran did seem a bit bemused people knew about him already, get used to it matey.  Like you Red I thought It was a relief he had obviously hit an inanimate object rather than another person, something he'd been told in therapy, if he's had any that is. ?  Btw Marilyn still calls Alf Mr. Stewart or has he given up on her? ?

The guy who attacked Maggie when he, Ziggy and their mates broke into the school was Pete.

Robbo did only die in January and they are still in November in Aus time - confused.com.  Appears Jasmine's old friend, Lewis,  is a nurse who I guess gets a stint at working at the local prison.  We know there are people on here who have no time for Colby but to Jasmine he was a good and patient friend who helped her  get through Robbo's death, even sticking by her when she threw her hissy fits and told him to go and get lost, he never gave up on her and kept his promise to Robbo to look out for her.   

Difference with Dean getting it on (twice) and Ziggy getting jiggy - sorry couldn't resist - with Tane is Dean's ladies aren't living in the bay.  Tane looked  quite down  when he saw Ziggy and Dean together.  It is sad Ziggy can't get past what Dean was involved with.  Let's hope Ziggy doesn't leap straight into a relationship with Tane, I know she's a free agent, but she doesn't need a rebound romance and it would be cruel to rub it in Dean's face the same as it would be if the boot was on the other foot, and she does know how that feels. 

There seemed to be quite a few montages going on was that just TPTB just wrapping up the last episode?  Ziggy musing about her night with Tane, complete with flashbacks, Kieran hitting whatever he hit, Colby getting surrounded by his new 'mates'.  Bella falling asleep with Nik on her phone. Tane looking pensive. 

I'm surprised it's taken this long for the inmates to find out about Colby, even if the screws didn't.   In their, the screws, eyes, Colby has let them down, yeah a bad guy got killed but Colby has disgraced the uniform and all they are supposed to stand for, not that them turning a blind eye while he gets a beating makes them any better.  

From tomorrow we are only three weeks behind Aus time.

It's quaintly mentioned in the TV mags a stranger walks into the Diner arousing interest - um isn't anyone who isn't a regular  by definition a stranger? 

41 minutes ago, H&Alover said:

Btw Marilyn still calls Alf Mr. Stewart or has he given up on her? ?

Old habits stick. Dot calling a lot of people by their full name in Enders, Jim doing it to his family in Corrie ("Steven!" Elizabeth! Andrew!, usually backed with a "So it is" or "So you are" or So I am" ?) or even Emmerdale years back when most of the village bar Jack, Annie and Joe would frequently call Henry "Mr Wilks". And Damn near everybody called Nell (the one who current Nell is named after) "Mrs Mangel" (with the exception of Helen and Eileen) in Neighbours.

I supposed if Keiran called Alf "Dad" out of the blue (even jokingly), Alf and Martha probably would have given him a wary look.

• Dan F unpinned this topic

Reading the comments on the Aus thread many people were NOT happy with the finale saying it was a right let down.   I thought it was pretty good, the inmates surrounding Colby - what did they expect done under - show Colby being beaten by a load of thugs seeing as it would be shown at, I believe, at 7pm for them?  It's even earlier for us.  The opening with Lewis attending to him telling the inmates to back off, yelling for help and using the defib was pretty tense.  Then we cut to Bella trying to find out why Dean wouldn't got to  to see Colby which when he did explain made a lot of sense, he didn't have a good time inside and it would just bring back too many bad memories even as  a visitor.  I guess that explained the whole flashback of the Colby/Bella/Ross/Willow/Dean story.

Quite a coincidence that Jasmine arrived just in time for Colby to be brought in - not.? Protocol being bent again, but then that's the penalty of working in a small town hospital, someone you know will be brought in for treatment and you'll be on duty.  The guards were a little OTT as Jasmine (I think)  said Colby wasn't in any state to make a break for it. Colby, apart form the blood by his ear and whack on the head, didn't really have a mark on him.  Where did Lewis learn how to bend the rules like that?  Dean hasn't cut all ties with the RB's then, they were a good distraction without causing too much damage.  Christian even played along.

Was Dean angling to get involved with the job the Parata's have got themselves landed with?  Has he got some sort of plan where he gets nicked for it 

I was wondering bout a segregation unit in the prison, it must have one, although isolating for Colby it would - hopefully - be safer or am I being simplistic and naive.  It would mean though he'd have to spend the whole of his term there.   

Alf really does have his suspicions about Kieran and not all that unfounded either.  He, Kieran, had to talk his way out of the awkward re-meeting with Jasmine in front of Roo and had to restrain himself when Jasmine was trying to get him to make a proper appointment.  Would him being a pizza chef make him a proper chef - no offence guys and gals out there who are pizza chefs.  Salt does still do pizza's, but he seems obsessed with being a gym manager.  Alf did have, another, firm talk with him but has to be clever the way plays it.  If Martha does decide to go back to Merimbula with Kieran, she'd be there alone with Kieran where at least while they are in the bay Alf can keep an eye on him.  Kieran has won Roo over and Marilyn, perhaps he's found he can charm the ladies better than the men, maybe his dad was like that, Irene hasn't even met him but seems to like him.   But then we saw him swigging from a  hip flask and I don't think it contained lemonade!  

Has Ryder been informed he's got a new step uncle or will that be a surprise for when he gets home. 

:offtopic:Talking of jobs Kieran could do, I may have missed seeing one of course, but I don't remember ever seeing a guy work at The Diner, plenty of ladies flitting about in the background but no blokes.?   

On 20/02/2021 at 14:48, CaptainHulk said:

Was Cringing for Kieran and was all like "Ease up, Skippy!" (I watch too much damn American TV lol), That was just plain hard to watch.

Skippy was an Australian TV programme. A bit of way out there info -  from 2001-2008 Emily Symons played Louise Appleton in Emmerdale but Chas always insisted in calling her Skippy!

7 hours ago, H&Alover said:

Then we cut to Bella trying to find out why Dean wouldn't got to  to see Colby which when he did explain made a lot of sense, he didn't have a good time inside and it would just bring back too many bad memories even as  a visitor.  I guess that explained the whole flashback of the Colby/Bella/Ross/Willow/Dean story.

Quite a coincidence that Jasmine arrived just in time for Colby to be brought in - not.? Protocol being bent again, but then that's the penalty of working in a small town hospital, someone you know will be brought in for treatment and you'll be on duty.  The guards were a little OTT as Jasmine (I think)  said Colby wasn't in any state to make a break for it. Colby, apart form the blood by his ear and whack on the head, didn't really have a mark on him.  Where did Lewis learn how to bend the rules like that?  Dean hasn't cut all ties with the RB's then, they were a good distraction without causing too much damage.  Christian even played along.

Was Dean angling to get involved with the job the Parata's have got themselves landed with?  Has he got some sort of plan where he gets nicked for it 

On 21/02/2021 at 09:27, H&Alover said:

Difference with Dean getting it on (twice) and Ziggy getting jiggy - sorry couldn't resist - with Tane is Dean's ladies aren't living in the bay.  Tane looked  quite down  when he saw Ziggy and Dean together.  It is sad Ziggy can't get past what Dean was involved with.  Let's hope Ziggy doesn't leap straight into a relationship with Tane, I know she's a free agent, but she doesn't need a rebound romance and it would be cruel to rub it in Dean's face the same as it would be if the boot was on the other foot, and she does know how that feels. 

I dont recall Dean ever claiming to be done with the River Boys. After all, We've seen lots of characters from thet group go straight while still talking to the boys. Heck, Dean maade his appearance when Ash called him for help. Thats what I love about this show. 

Bella made me wanna strangle her with how she was acting. She was acting like a petulant insensitive brat, Just like Colby does when someone oesnt go along with what HE wants. To be fair, I only thought that because I was under the impression that she was aware of Dean's trauma aand just didnt care. 

If she wasnt, it makes it more understandable. However, Im still annoyed with her because it makes no sense that they never had that talk, or that she's not even willing to listen to his side or consider his feelings in the situation.

Plus, she should know by now how scarring prison life can be afterwards. I distinctly remember her talking to Nikau an he described how hard it was on Ari. 

Im even more annoyed because all signs indicate that instead of Bella respecting his ddecision, Dean's gonna be guilted into going anyway, which is already getting old with me. "Taking care" of Bella does not mean bending to her every wim. I doubt it was that way with Colby.