2020 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

2 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

That's not even a remotely fair assessment, just Colby's feeble justification backed up by his friends' blind loyalty and biased views. Ross spent no more than a few weeks on the run once his crimes came to light, and that was arguably mainly because Colby didn't tell the police where he was. Colby killed him because he wanted him out of their lives for good rather than in jail, and justified it by feebly claiming there was no guarantee he'd stay locked up. Maybe not, but he was no criminal mastermind, just a grubby little thug whose luck had run out, and with the seriousness of the charges, the evidence against him and his complete lack of legal assistance, it was practically a done deal.Colby doesn't have the right to murder people just because he thinks it's more of a guaranteed result than arresting them, and Dean was wrong to protect him.Ziggy kept quiet about Dean's credit card fraud, so it's not a case of thinking it's okay for Tane to commit crimes and not Dean.There's just a limit to what she can turn a blind eye to, and burying a murder victim is a shallow grave is beyond it.

First, I was only going by the details shared with me.

That said, as much as I dont like sympathising with Colby, Im just not going to condemn them for what they did. Especially since Ive never really had that type of parent or known anyone in that type of situation. And you have. point that convicting Ross wouldnt have been an issue, but could you say he couldnt have done anything from a prison cell.

At the end of the day, theyre more or less family that was trying to help each other against a guy who was nothing but a menace to them they couldnt seem to get rid of aany other way. (Although Colby is debatable in this regard)

Edited by Nephlim14

Presumably Angelo's figured out that Colby is using Taylor in attempt to keep one step ahead of him.  You could see yesterday that it was difficult for him to listen to them.  The fact that he's prepared to allow his wife to continue sleeping with another man to progress the case.... you have to admire his dedication.  Although a lot of it is fuelled by the fact that Colby has just been so smug and arrogant about everything.  As I said before it's now more about beating the other than it is about the murder investigation itself.  I actually really enjoyed the scene when Angelo confronted him and Colby told Angelo his games wouldn't work.

Crazy Jasmine.  Yay!  Her facial expressions at Christian, particularly when he was interacting with Tori were hilarious.  She's not happy about them.?

Tori though once again shows her funny side especially when she is involved with anybody romantically.

Justin's reaction to the prospect of Tori getting waxed was slightly amusing.  It's interesting seeing him dealing with his cancer treatment. I'm guessing that was probably about 3 months ago.  Australia hasn't been hit as hard with Covid as most other places but if that had been the UK (especially now) he would have real problems.

Re Tane's story to Ari about ending up in hospital, Ari must have been thinking it was a pretty big husband.

Crazy Jasmine?  Anyway it was more like suspicious Jasmine, when Christian turned up at ND he acted as if he had only just arrived that day, not the day before when Jasmine saw him at the Diner.  He wasn't due back for two more days so was he  hiding from Tori and if so why? Justine never had the chance to tell Tori  as the drama with Tane was unfolding.   Loved seeing Justin squirming when Tori was talking about her waxing  and hinting, nudge, nudge, wink, wink why she had had it done.   Christian planning the night together does take the spontaneity out of it, hope he lives up to expectations!?  I did like his quip about him and Tori being in their favourite place, though perhaps not the most appropriate time as Tane was groaning away on the trolley between them.  Of course Tane being a macho guy he had to get out of bed to get his  phone to make a very urgent call thus causing him to collapse and cause even more damage to his liver. ?  Btw how did Tane get in at Ziggy's did he have  a key and how did he manage to drive all the way back from the city in his condition? 

If you call letting  your wife continuing to sleep with a guy you believe killed a man dedication I despair. 

That device must have a pretty good range, he was listening in on them at the station in Yabbie Creek while they were in the bay.  Anything he hears would be inadmissible in court but certainly grounds for divorce.  He reckons he has a 'witness' which is doubtful but even if he had Colby, as a cop,  should know Angelo wouldn't give out the name.  Colby does himself no favours by taunting Angelo, just makes him all the more determined. Angelo still has no proof, but ever since he arrived decided right away Colby did it. Neither Taylor or Colby were being that discreet at Salt, yet later she was fretting about Bella finding out they were back together, as for Colby assuring her she wouldn't - yeh good luck with that. 

21 hours ago, Nephlim14 said:

At the end of the day, theyre more or less family that was trying to help each other against a guy who was nothing but a menace to them they couldnt seem to get rid of aany other way.

They didn't even try. Certainly Colby didn't. As you yourself pointed out, Dean tried to talk him out of it, so he obviously didn't believe it was the best or only way to get rid of Ross. He's just taken an attitude of "My mate, right or wrong." He'll defend Colby to outsiders, a category which seems to include Ziggy and sometimes even Bella, but deep down he knows Colby did the wrong thing.Quite often, not even deep down, as him telling Colby he'll never forgive him for it demonstrates.

Anyway...Tori continues to be a mess and Christian continues to be the perfect antidote, refusing to let her take herself too seriously. Jasmine continued to be unfair in her behaviour towards Christian but just as that was building to something, frustratingly their conversation takes place almost entirely off screen, so it's hard to know how they left it.Hopefully she'll manage to be a bit less cold and abrupt towards him.

I love Ryder/Bella scenes and this episode was full of them. To be honest, the fact they work so well together is the main reason why I've never really bought the show's attempts to build Bella and Nikau up as some sort of soulmates: Her "He's my everything" here just made me cringe.And I wouldn't be at all disappointed if he disappeared off somewhere and left her behind.He's now got more reason, as Tane's attempt to make a quick buck has backfired on him and everyone else in the vicinity.He's not keen to let Ari know about his latest stuff-up, but Nikau's another matter.

4 hours ago, H&Alover said:

Btw how did Tane get in at Ziggy's did he have  a key and how did he manage to drive all the way back from the city in his condition? 

I thought he forced the door open (it opened rather violently), although same question I guess. As for Angelo, to be fair, he has told Taylor he thinks Colby did it.If she's going to ignore him and carry on the affair, then he might as well take advantage of it...

1 hour ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

They didn't even try. Certainly Colby didn't. As you yourself pointed out, Dean tried to talk him out of it, so he obviously didn't believe it was the best or only way to get rid of Ross. He's just taken an attitude of "My mate, right or wrong." He'll defend Colby to outsiders, a category which seems to include Ziggy and sometimes even Bella, but deep down he knows Colby did the wrong thing.Quite often, not even deep down, as him telling Colby he'll never forgive him for it demonstrates.

Ill need to know more details on certain things, but your claims seem like a bit of a stretch to me. Dean trying to talk him down seemed less about it being "the wrong thing" and more about

A) Murdering someone being a bit extreme in general. Im not that familiar with the River Boys and their crime history, but they seem like the act of murder would be a bit much, even by their standards.

B) Dean being mad at Colby for the fallout rather than the act itself. And when he said hed never forgive him, Im pretty sure he was referring to the long list of losses/traumas hes had to deal with as an indirect result of backing Colby up, which seemingly includes Jai now.

(Note: I did see that part aas being a bit too bratty, but I already explained my view on it in an earlier comment)

I dont remember hearing him defend Colby to Bella, and I only recall Willow and Dean plain explaining to Ziggy what happened. if they are defending Colby, it makes sense since she is judgin people over a situation she wasnt even a part of.

(Note: And for all the talk about how they all deserve to go to jail, I havent really seen anyone comment on Angelo. I looked him up and he DEFINITELY shouldnt be on the force. At least with Colby and co, it can be argued that they were trying to protect themselves.)

Throughout the arc I havent once heard any of them say anything along the line of "Ross didnt deserve to die" or "Colby didnt have to kill him", or anything about Colby being morally wrong for killing Ross himself. Just a lot of anguish for all the problems that have so far resulted for it, as well as Colby's antics.

21 hours ago, H&Alover said:

Crazy Jasmine?  Anyway it was more like suspicious Jasmine, when Christian turned up at ND he acted as if he had only just arrived that day, not the day before when Jasmine saw him at the Diner.

Funny how you said you ignored the 'crazy label' re Jasmine twice and even advised someone else to as well.  Not very good at practising what you preach.?

21 hours ago, H&Alover said:

If you call letting  your wife continuing to sleep with a guy you believe killed a man dedication I despair. 

I despair at how simple statements often go over people's heads.

Tori on heat continues to be amusing.  Especially when Christian tried to hook up, she made a big thing about it, he immediately backed down and she was disappointed he didn't make more of a fuss.  Leah was right about her giving mixed signals and she continued to even after their conversation in that episode.  Justin's commentary about it later on that evening was also really funny.

Crazy Jasmine continued to see Christian as a threat but I would also liked to have seen the conversation with them.

Still not finding Bella and Nikau very interesting and probably wouldn't be that bothered if both of them went to New Zealand.

Christian's early reappearance threw Tori, was she thinking his prior 'arrangement' had been brought forward?  To her and his credit they can still be professional when they need to be.  Made me blink when she dragged him into her office and pounced on him!  

Whatever happened with Jasmine and Christian's off screen talk straightened things out and Tori didn't seem too bothered she had been discussed it did result in Tori and Christian agreeing to taking things slowly.  Maybe there  was/is something about Christian that jars with Jasmine. More embarrassing talk for Justin having to listen to. ?  The first chemo session would take it out of him. 

I get Tane couldn't admit the truth to Ari, stolen goods is one thing, drugs totally another.  No wonder he is so keen to get hold of Ziggy.  God knows how she, Willow and Nugget will react when they find out. What does he think Nik can do though?  Was that a warning for Nik to go the New Zealand as soon as he could so he would be safe?  It was good to see Nik, Bella and Ryder again. We can't always have what 'we' want in regards to pairings between couples in soaps.  I personally like Bella and Nikau together, I think they have more in common than Ryder and Bella do so understand each other better.   Ryder and Bella are great as friends.  Nikau has asked Bella to go with him but does she have a passport?  Breaking that news to Colby will be fun though he can't stop her.   

20 hours ago, Nephlim14 said:

B) Dean being mad at Colby for the fallout rather than the act itself.

So...basically you think Dean's a hypocrite who thinks Colby did the right thing but regularly berates him about it anyway? (And did long before the body was discovered, to the point of suggesting Colby wasn't a great boyfriend for his sister.) There's a difference between no-one being sorry Ross is dead and them all thinking Colby made the right choice.You obviously missed the moment I was as disgusted with Dean as I've ever been, when he shamed and guilt-tripped Bella for threatening to report Colby to the police for murdering her father. And sure, Angelo being back in the police is laughable, but he's a saint compared to a scumbag like Colby. Angelo killed someone by accident while trying to protect himself (he was being shot at at the time), was wracked with guilt and confessed within weeks. Colby ran away from a car crash leaving a friend to die, then shot dead in cold blood a man who was unarmed, injured and no threat to anyone at the time, and has spent all his time since repeatedly trying to worm his way out of facing justice in a smug, entitled and sociopathic manner.

Talking of Angelo, I was disappointed that he backed off from ruining Colby and Taylor's tryst but turns out he had an even bigger plan, by throwing a grenade into Colby's life via Bella. It does seem though that Angelo is more interested in playing mind games with Colby than actually gathering evidence against him.Maybe he's hoping Colby will crack, or that one of his allies will, but he's not getting very far at the moment.

I think it's the very fact that Ryder's different from Bella than makes me like them together; Nikau is a bit too similar to Colby and Dean, and I don't think he's been as good for Bella as Ryder has.She needs someone who represents the world she's never really known, not someone else from a criminal background with a dodgy sense of right and wrong.I liked how much Ryder obviously cared about her here, for all his petulance at the thought of losing his last remaining friends.I'm in too minds about the move: I don't want to lose Bella (Nikau I would happily see the back of) but she is better off away from Colby, especially with Gemma as a moderating influence.

Leah really should have let Justin take the lead: Good intentions, poor execution.John gave some decent advice again, and Justin definitely did the right thing to put Leah's fears at ease with that romantic evening.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

So...basically you think Dean's a hypocrite who thinks Colby did the right thing but regularly berates him about it anyway? (And did long before the body was discovered, to the point of suggesting Colby wasn't a great boyfriend for his sister.) There's a difference between no-one being sorry Ross is dead and them all thinking Colby made the right choice.You obviously missed the moment I was as disgusted with Dean as I've ever been, when he shamed and guilt-tripped Bella for threatening to report Colby to the police for murdering her father. And sure, Angelo being back in the police is laughable, but he's a saint compared to a scumbag like Colby. Angelo killed someone by accident while trying to protect himself (he was being shot at at the time), was wracked with guilt and confessed within weeks. Colby ran away from a car crash leaving a friend to die, then shot dead in cold blood a man who was unarmed, injured and no threat to anyone at the time, and has spent all his time since repeatedly trying to worm his way out of facing justice in a smug, entitled and sociopathic manner.

I think Dean and everyone involved understand the why of what Colby did and sympathize with him to a degree (at least a LOT more than they sympathize with Ross).

Before I say anything on it, Id like to know when exactly Bella threatened to report Colby and Dean "guilt tripped" her.