1992 Episode Discussion

Dan F

Found it hilarious that Donald was watching "Dumb Street" with the theme song that parodies Home and Away blatantly playing :D

I don't find the actress who plays Toni completely terrible but agree she's not the best. But let's face it she doesn't have much of a character to play. A pretty awful character, actually.

Once again "super parents" Michael and Pippa get it wrong. But it was really Damien's fault this time for not telling the truth.

Was quite shocking to see Adam (a grown man) beat up Shane (a boy) which I guess is why they didn't actually show it. But really, he had it coming. And I do like Adam as a character. He has his comedy moments and he has his soft spots, like Marilyn, but he still has an edge to him too.

Even though I gave up caring months ago, I do think that Lucinda would be happier with Ryan than she clearly is with Nick.

I had to laugh when Pippa said that her mother used to buy her awful dresses that looked like curtains. Fast forward a couple of years....

Oh and according to his twitter (he now presents a news programme) it looks like Bruce Roberts (Nick) kept a momento from his time on H&A! https://twitter.com/bruceberts/status/390664768454795264/photo/1

I am struggling to remember how Adam's storyline went after they found out he was sleeping at the surf club, although given he's working at the kiosk now his finances are presumably a bit better off.

I accept the actress playing Toni has a bit of trouble with the "acting angry" thing, which is often a problem for inexperienced actors.I also accept her character is a bit thin, just how isolated was she meant to be?I think we're meant to assume that she really liked Simon and was only flirting with Adam and the windsurfer guys to get his attention but basically offering herself to him within a few hours of meeting him seems desperate at best.Not sure how far that's going to go.Marilyn already acting as an effective buffer between Phil and Toni is interesting.

I think I felt a lot more sympathy towards Damian first time I saw these episodes, here my sympathy was minimal(although having Sally stick up for him helped)and he took far too long to realise he was on the wrong side.I'm not sure he deserves to be let off the hook just because he wasn't involved in the break-in, given he was already in trouble before that and would have been fine if he'd just said something like "I was meant to be meeting Shane and I went to tell him I wasn't coming" instead of being a brat towards Michael.Adam dishing out some backstreet justice to Shane was oddly satisfying.I've a feeling this marks the end of Shane being truly nasty:He gets up to some questionable stuff in future but tends to have a better reason than "Because it's fun."(Revenge, usually.)

Analysing it more than it perhaps deserves, there's a potentially interesting storyline in the idea of Nick and Lou as two people who do genuinely seem to love each other but perhaps have different priorities and aren't necessarily suited.Unfortunately, it's kind of been derailed by the involvement of Ryan and the odd binary equation that if Lou breaks up with Nick she'll automatically end up with him, even though he's a prize jerk and it's hard to see the attraction.

Or possibly not, since Lou doesn't end up with either of them, although whether that was the plan before Dee Smart got fed up is anyone's guess.

Huge thanks for the link, beau_t.Actually didn't think Bruce Roberts has aged that badly, although that's probably because IMDb has a photo of him which I've never been convinced is the right person.

It's funny that Marilyn's "happy ending" is coming up, going to watch it with an entirely different perspective this time (knowing what happens in the future). The music when Phil kissed Marilyn was a cross between "romantic" and "trouble-ahead" which seems fitting knowing what we know now. Does anyone know what other scenes that music was used it because I found it very familiar but couldn't place it.

Archived