1992 Episode Discussion

Dan F

I agree Beau. I was thinking the same (about how her story arc came to a natural conclusion) - I wonder how they would have developed her from here if she's stayed and if they would have thought about putting her with Fisher at all.

I liked her final episode, it was bittersweet and I enjoyed how they included Alf in the story, there 'goodbye' scene was well done.

Trying hard to remember anything from the last week apart from the multiple departures that ended it, think there was more Nick/Lou/Ryan stuff(with Ryan unable to grasp the concept of someone liking Nick more than him), Shane taking a small step back in the scumbag stakes by making up with Damian, Pippa grabbing completely the wrong end of the stick regarding Sophie(I remember that well)and a very bizarre cliffhanger.And again, it seems time's passing a lot more slowly for the characters than the audience, the whole week seemed to cover about two days meaning Nick and Shane haven't got back from the court case that was only a day away on Monday.Oh-and a brief sighting of Duncan, making it his first appearance since before I started watching with Episode 1000.Only took about three months.

So, Marilyn first.I think the Phil storyline could have worked better if it had been spread out over a longer period of time but the concept was good, giving Marilyn a makeshift family, something she's never had before, and making an effort to show she adds something to the family and helps Phil and Toni understand each other better.It's a shame in a way they ruined the Happy Ever After by bringing her back

it certainly beats the "My baby died so I ran away" exit she'll get next time

although in a sense she's come full circle in the current show.I guess it got lost among the important stuff but I was disappointed we didn't get a proper last moment between Simon and Toni, he comes home and says she's not going with Phil then never turns up for the farewell, leaving me wondering if he came back expecting her to still be staying with them.Alf and Marilyn's last big moment alone at the Ross house was a very emotional moment;Alf is another one who takes a while to do the right thing but gets there in the end.I remember that last shot of her driving out of town with mixed emotions in her face well too, although oddly I was convinced she was sitting in the back.

Well, at least Simon got a last moment with Sophie even if he didn't actually say goodbye to anyone.It possibly works better in retrospect that on first viewing:Certainly, that moment where Simon leaves Alf alone at the store and Simon and knowledgeable viewers know he's never going to see him again but Alf doesn't have a clue is oddly affecting.I may have imagined a better exit in my head:I was convinced his last episode ended with him walking alone along a darkened road while a voiceover of his farewell letter played, so I was expecting him to pop up again after Adam, Greg and Sam's poaching shenanigans.Still, even without that it's an exit which goes past bittersweet into unsettling:Whereas Marilyn gave up everything she knows in order to grab a chance of happiness, Simon decides to do what he believes is right for his father even though it's not the best thing for himself.

What is it with Sophie? She refuses to go back to school to complete her HSC to at least try to better herself and give herself a future, she keeps rejecting Michael's job offers at the Boatshed (why is it that everyone in Summer Bay is like Nolene Bourke "we don't take charity"?) and despite the warnings, waits it out in dole queues only to be told no interviews today when she eventually nears the front of the queue. Does Sophie enjoy living it as rough as she can? or what?

What is it with Sophie? She refuses to go back to school to complete her HSC to at least try to better herself and give herself a future, she keeps rejecting Michael's job offers at the Boatshed (why is it that everyone in Summer Bay is like Nolene Bourke "we don't take charity"?) and despite the warnings, waits it out in dole queues only to be told no interviews today when she eventually nears the front of the queue. Does Sophie enjoy living it as rough as she can? or what?

God I hated the hypocrite Nolene Burke. Too good to take charity but apprantly it's perfectly ok to rob and steal from innocent people. Weird sense of ethics!

I have to admit I don't have a lot of sympathy for Sophie either. I could understand her wanting to get a job instead of going back to school if she was a struggling single mum with no family and no roof over her head. But she has the love and support of a LARGE family and network of friends, a roof over her head, meals provided for her, babysitters galore. There's no reason why she couldn't go back and at least get her HSC.

To be fair though, whilst I mostly agree, the boatshed job does sound a bit forced, and like charity.

And lol at the reference to Noeline. What a classic and unique character she was.

God I hated the hypocrite Nolene Burke. Too good to take charity but apprantly it's perfectly ok to rob and steal from innocent people. Weird sense of ethics!

I have to admit I don't have a lot of sympathy for Sophie either. I could understand her wanting to get a job instead of going back to school if she was a struggling single mum with no family and no roof over her head. But she has the love and support of a LARGE family and network of friends, a roof over her head, meals provided for her, babysitters galore. There's no reason why she couldn't go back and at least get her HSC.

Lol, I agree about noeline, but she was funny.

Completely agree about Sophie. It makes no sense why she would just want to jump from low-skilled job to low-skilled job when she has a loving and supporting family.

I don't know who is more stupid, Adam for being, well Adam, or Greg going along with it when pretty much all of Adam's harebrained schemes have failed in the past. In fact, I can't think of a single one that has ever worked, can anyone else? Possibly the only exception was the Bunyip storyline.

I can see both sides of the issue with Sophie.It is a shame that after all the effort to overcome her illiteracy she drops out with the end in sight and having no qualifications could cause problems for her further down the line, but as she says an HSC isn't a guarantee of employment and it's unlikely she could go to uni and leave Tamara with Pippa for four years.It's possible, if unlikely, that she could get her qualifications when Tamara's older.It's all right saying she can get money from Michael and Pippa or the government but I can understand why she'd want to provide for her daughter herself rather than relying on handouts.I do think it was unfair that Michael got it in the neck from both Pippa and Sophie for her losing her job at the store simply because he voiced an opinion:It was Alf's fault for going back on his word.

Shane's plan isn't really making a lot of sense at the moment.The sensible thing to do would be to tell Nick what he saw, which he seemed to want to do until he realised just how much Nick wanted it to work with Lucinda.So, plan seems to be to force Ryan out of town so he'll leave Nick and Lucinda alone.Okay, that kind of makes sense...except if the plan is for Nick and Lou to live happily ever after, why is he being so aggressive towards Lou and saying they'll never be friends?

A more positive look at Simon's fate, which I'm pleased about even if it does dispel that oddly dark departure.Ah, and Blake and Fin, possibly the first Home and Away couple I seriously shipped.

Of course, it takes them a while to get their act together, by which time Blake's been taken off the opening titles and it's obvious they're not going to last that long.Still looking forward to seeing it play out.

Adam and Greg's(and Alf's!)plight is rather amusing, mainly down to Adam being a little bit bonkers.

Archived