1992 Episode Discussion

Dan F

A couple of things really confused me in the Bobby and Greg scenes:

1. Why did Donald give her away when she and Greg had already been living in sin for the previous however many months?

2. Why did he talk about losing a daughter, when again, she wasn't moving out or anything?

Also, why must Alf make a speech in every bloody wedding/funeral/any event whatsoever?! Doesn't anyone else in Summer Bay have a mouth?...................

1a. Living in what??? That's Bobby and Greg's business, not Mr Fisher's, plus Bobby is over 18, it's not up to anyone else but her to decide when she lives with her man.

1b. What's Mr Fisher "giving her away" (which in itself is bull****) got to do with it??

2a. I agree, "losing a daughter" is bull****, and "gaining a son" is also bull****.

2b. Alf is king in Summer Bay.

Living in sin. I believe that it is a very big sin for two people to live together when they are not married.

I assume for religious reasons - surely you must realise that that is a tiny minority view these days. Nobody seems to have batted an eyelid in Summer Bay over 20 years ago when this was filmed - now Greg could start living with Adam and few would think anything untoward of it. I'm not sure why it's worth highlighting your opinion on this as you'll find few people here or anywhere in society at large who would agree with you.

Caught up to 1030, which must be one of the most repeated episodes ever:I remember seeing it the first time round when it premiered in the UK around 1993, when ITV repeated it around Christmas 1995 and when Channel 5 showed it in August 2012!

It's always interesting watching characters you grew to like later but hated at the time.Despite the occasional glimpse of humanity, Shane doesn't seem to have many redeeming features at the moment and has a massive chip on his shoulder.Bit confused by Nick talking as if Shane's court case is still pending, isn't that why they went back to the city?And would Shane and Damian half-heartedly wiping the steering wheel and only one of the doors really remove all forensic evidence?I know it wasn't as advanced as nowadays but still.

Whilst it wasn't quite enough to turn me against Lou(in fact by her standards she was probably less irritating than usual), her stringing Nick and Ryan along while she made up her mind really wasn't fair. She should have listened to Alf's assessment rather than trying to have her cake and eat it.If she hadn't raised his hopes just to dash them, Ryan would be gone and the whole mess would be over.

It feels kind of appropriate that Michael was the one there for Sophie during the birth rather than Pippa, given that he's really kept his promise to be there for her after their wobble early in the year. Shame Blake and Simon were kept away, hope we get some interaction between them soon.Alf and Ailsa's row came out of nowhere a bit but Adam dragging the boys along in crazy schemes to get them back together was rather amusing.

Sally's still missing in action and they've even given up explaining why she isn't around.Maybe she's hanging out with Christopher.

Marilyn and Simon are such an odd pairing in the credits. The have barely had any dialogue together. But I suppose it creates the illusion that they all know each other and speak an a day to day basis. And maybe because the new they were leaving at similar time it would be easy for editing.

But it would of been nice to put Blake and Simon together again and then we could have had a Marilyn/Adam credit which never happened.

I think the producers remembered the hell of the 1991 credits and decided this was the best course of action to take

Which means both Richard and Emily must have known they were leaving by the start of 1992. Otherwise they would have had the shots of Simon and Blake plus Adam and Maz together.

Archived