1992 Episode Discussion

Dan F

So, after probably the longest wedding day in the history of the show, Greg and Bobby finally made it.Kind of lucky that Bobby kept her hair and make-up for the wedding long after it was cancelled, even when she'd taken a shower.Her chat with Don prior to the service was kind of sweet.Not sure about the nurse making Sam wait:There wasn't any medical reason to let him queue jump and she certainly wasn't obliged to after Don was rude to her, but if, as was sort of suggested, she made them wait longer than they should because of Don's behaviour then that's not really fair either.Was Kate Ritchie doing something else when these episodes were made?Sally just about made it to the wedding but she disappeared again pretty quickly and otherwise we haven't seen her in ages.

The whole storyline with Ryan is curiously akin to banging your head against a brick wall.It's kind of reached the point where most of the town hates him...and then Lou stops him leaving town because she's suddenly decided she might still like him after all?Just how many more plot devices do they have to come up with to drag this out?!

Wasn't sure about Don's attitude towards Shane.The fact that Shane stole his car would justify him not being particularly charitable towards him but oddly that didn't come up, he just seemed to adopt an attitude of "I don't want a difficult teenager in my house."As it turned out, his lecture to him played out well.The antagonism between Shane and Fin seemed to spring up remarkably quickly although we did at least get a decent explanation for Fin's attitude.

Simon and Blake's shenanigans was actually fairly amusing, especially their reactions when they bit off more than they could chew with Adam's set-up.Nice that despite Alf pulling the plug on it Adam still managed to get the upper hand.(Some nice stuff between him and Marilyn too.)Also good to see the subject of Meg being raised again to show that Blake still isn't quite ready to move on.

One knock-on effect of the incredibly long wedding is that people have been saying Sophie's court case is tomorrow for about two weeks.At least it seems like we're finally there now, unless the magistrate's got his hand stuck down a plug hole or something...

I noticed Vanessa Downing is still in photos on the table at the Summer Bay house.

But you have to look closely up and quickly!.

I'm glad of that because when she first left there was some awful photo shop jobs done to make Debra Lawrance appear in these photos. They tried to wipe her out.

Fast forward a decade or two and they happily use Vanessa Downing's Pippa in flashbacks and voiceovers... funny how time heals all!

Why was there bad blood between Vanessa Downing and H&A when she left?.

I would have given the snotty nosed nurse hell on principle. A good slap across the face is what she needs for her snobbish attitude of making Sam wait to have the operation.

If the Magistrate was dumb enough to get his hand stuck in a plughole then Sophie will definitely get off despite the pathetic excuses she had for shoplifting in the first place.

I can understand Alf having a go at Blake but it still defies me just what is it that Simon was doing so wrong for Alf to go off his head like that??? :wacko: Is dating girls a crime or something?

Speaking of punishment outweighing the crime, why is Ryan being treated like some rockspider for the whole town to hate him, just because he likes Loo and wants to get her back but for being Nick's property now?

Why shouldn't Sam wait to have the...well, operation is putting it a bit strongly frankly but I can't think of a better word, procedure?There's nothing special about him other than that he's in Home and Away, there were plenty of other patients in need of treatment and he was no worse off than any of them.The nurse was perfectly pleasant towards Greg and Michael, it was only when Don started going off on one and acting like a pompous twit that she started being unhelpful.

It seems to be the fact that he used Marilyn and hurt her feelings just to make Lou jealous that has turned people against Ryan, although trying to seduce someone else's fiancé isn't exactly honourable behaviour.Still, the show is rather inconsistent on that subject and I guess it depends on how much people like the parties involved.

A couple of things really confused me in the Bobby and Greg scenes:

1. Why did Donald give her away when she and Greg had already been living in sin for the previous however many months?

2. Why did he talk about losing a daughter, when again, she wasn't moving out or anything?

Also, why must Alf make a speech in every bloody wedding/funeral/any event whatsoever?! Doesn't anyone else in Summer Bay have a mouth?

1. Why did Donald give her away when she and Greg had already been living in sin for the previous however many months?

2. Why did he talk about losing a daughter, when again, she wasn't moving out or anything?

Also, why must Alf make a speech in every bloody wedding/funeral/any event whatsoever?! Doesn't anyone else in Summer Bay have a mouth?

It's a tradition to give bride away and to losing her shouldn't be understood directly.

I noticed Vanessa Downing is still in photos on the table at the Summer Bay house.

But you have to look closely up and quickly!.

I'm glad of that because when she first left there was some awful photo shop jobs done to make Debra Lawrance appear in these photos. They tried to wipe her out.

Fast forward a decade or two and they happily use Vanessa Downing's Pippa in flashbacks and voiceovers... funny how time heals all!

Why was there bad blood between Vanessa Downing and H&A when she left?.

There were talks that she was angry at producers for axing Tom, the main character, but I don't think that he was axed. There is an interview with Judy Nunn, where she says "at first it was Tom and Pippa and then the pair wanted to leave, Tom died and Pippa became Debra Lawrance". I think that Roger's and Vanessa's contracts ended at the same time. By the time Tom was gone, Vanessa had been appearing more than usual(four episodes a week or even in every episode), which may mean that she was on short guest contract before another actress would step in, and once Debra took over as Pippa she appeared in 3 episodes a week as usual.

I heard that Roger Oakley who played Tom left at his own accord and Vanessa Downing decided to leave soon after because she said it wasn't the same with Tom no longer on the show.

I might be wrong but I think I've read somewhere that Roger regrets leaving so soon and that him and Vanessa also say that they wished they stayed on the show for longer. No doubt that Debra Lawrence was a good replacement to Vanessa Downing despite not look anything alike.

Archived