1992 Episode Discussion

Dan F

I smell a dirty great rat in the form of a feminazi lobby group pulling the strings of the story editors for these episodes. The Sophie sexual harassment storyline has all the hallmarks of a hard done-by wimmin's rights group (the boss commenting on her dress, her figure, the effects of pregnancy and motherhood on a woman's beauty, and the inappropriate and apparently (deliberately so on-screen) coercive kiss and Sophie having to fight him off, the effects on Sophie like being too scared to immediately tell on him)......

.....has all the hallmarks of a plot by the likes of Ann Summers and Julia Gillard if you ask me.

I smell a dirty great rat in the form of a feminazi lobby group pulling the strings of the story editors for these episodes. The Sophie sexual harassment storyline has all the hallmarks of a hard done-by wimmin's rights group (the boss commenting on her dress, her figure, the effects of pregnancy and motherhood on a woman's beauty, and the inappropriate and apparently (deliberately so on-screen) coercive kiss and Sophie having to fight him off, the effects on Sophie like being too scared to immediately tell on him)......

.....has all the hallmarks of a plot by the likes of Ann Summers and Julia Gillard if you ask me.

Lol, so true. Playing the gender card to garner sympathy.

Well, the pieces have finally moved around a bit by the end of the week but the pacing of the Nick/Lou storyline was pretty lethargic, mainly because of the way that characters kept appearing and disappearing for lengthy stretches.(Nick and Shane in particular seemed to spend three episodes constantly missing each other, the most ridiculous moment being when Lou and Ryan just let Shane walk away after he's shown them what he's done to Ryan's car.)Oddly, I did feel quite sorry for both Nick and Lou, and indeed Shane, by the end, so maybe things have come to the head at just the right moment.Or several moments too late.Shane seems to have softened a bit as a result of the experience, even if he does promptly do a runner.Again.

I didn't really see anything offensive in Sophie's storyline, apart from deliberately so.It is possible they were asked to raise awareness of the issue but then people like Smithers do exist, perhaps more so in the early 90s than they did now.(Hence need to raise awareness.)Of course, it could just as easily happen with the genders reversed, something that people were probably even more ignorant of in the early 90s and would have difficulty accepting even now.

It would be an exaggeration to blame Bobby for Greg's actions, his choices were his own, but she did make constant digs at him in a way that did frankly go beyond friendly banter and clearly upset him, so maybe she's right to feel bad.

Wow, I have absolutely no memory of Pippa working at the store whatsoever, which is weird because I remembered short-lived assistant Rick perfectly and makes me wonder just how long she lasts. (In fact, we haven't even seen her working there yet, so I'm intrigued to know what happens.)

Archived