1993 Episode Discussion

Dan F

Who cares, it's only Bobby. I quite like Fiona!

And now, Mr Fisher catches Shane and Angel wrestling each other and warns them of the "consequences of what you were about to do", like he was deliberately being vague while being bold at the same time. When it comes to sex, the people of Summer Bay seem to have the most difficulty calling a spade a spade, and instead talk in riddles and beat around the bush. FOR GOD SAKE WHY!!!!

Well, the ambiguity was necessary for comic purposes, so they could keep talking at cross purposes (about ironing/sex). The script was rather mediocre here, as I recall it required Angel to talk in a convoluted and totally unnatural way to keep the ambiguity going.

That is a bit of a strange way of putting it...... :unsure: What's "comic purposes"?? I thought comics were those sequenced drawings in books and newspapers, like Garfield etc.

Why do they have to be ambiguous? How does that make the show more enjoyable??

I like the fact that after Greg first met Fiona, he started to tell Bobby about it. He said something like "I met this woman called Fiona..." but Bobby wasn't listening and cut him off by talking about something else. I just think it's important to note he didn't meet this woman and think "oooh I'm going to have an affair."

Who cares, it's only Bobby. I quite like Fiona!

And now, Mr Fisher catches Shane and Angel wrestling each other and warns them of the "consequences of what you were about to do", like he was deliberately being vague while being bold at the same time. When it comes to sex, the people of Summer Bay seem to have the most difficulty calling a spade a spade, and instead talk in riddles and beat around the bush. FOR GOD SAKE WHY!!!!

Well, the ambiguity was necessary for comic purposes, so they could keep talking at cross purposes (about ironing/sex). The script was rather mediocre here, as I recall it required Angel to talk in a convoluted and totally unnatural way to keep the ambiguity going.

That is a bit of a strange way of putting it...... :unsure: What's "comic purposes"?? I thought comics were those sequenced drawings in books and newspapers, like Garfield etc.

Why do they have to be ambiguous? How does that make the show more enjoyable??

Comic purposes = comedy purposes. The brief scene relied on Donald coming home and catching Shane and Angel grappling (actually for the iron, so one of them could scorch Donald's shirt) while he assumed they had their arms around each other in a romantic clinch as a prelude to sex.

That was the point of that brief scene - I can't remember the exact dialogue but better scriptwriters could have done much more with it:

Donald: What on earth is going on?

Angel: Oh, sorry - we didn't know you were going to come home early. We were just...

Donald: I know exactly what you were doing - and I'm outraged.

Angel: Oh. Well, it's no big deal, Just a bit of fun.

Donald: Well, you might regard it as a bit of fun, but my generation thinks otherwise. Presumably you were just going to head for the bedroom?

Shane: Bedroom? No, we were going to do it on the counter, but we thought it might get damaged - so we were going to use the ironing board as usual.

Donald: I doubt it would take the weight...AS USUAL? I assumed this was the first time.

Angel: Oh, no - a few times a week, normally.

Donald: FEW TIMES A WEEK? Good God...

Etcetera, ad nauseam...

Donald: What on earth is going on?

Angel: Oh, sorry - we didn't know you were going to come home early. We were just...

Donald: I know exactly what you were doing - and I'm outraged.

Angel: Oh. Well, it's no big deal, Just a bit of fun.

Donald: Well, you might regard it as a bit of fun, but my generation thinks otherwise. Presumably you were just going to head for the bedroom?

Shane: Bedroom? No, we were going to do it on the counter, but we thought it might get damaged - so we were going to use the ironing board as usual.

Donald: I doubt it would take the weight...AS USUAL? I assumed this was the first time.

Angel: Oh, no - a few times a week, normally.

Donald: FEW TIMES A WEEK? Good God...

Etcetera, ad nauseam...

Haha! I actually thought the original scene was pretty funny but that was great.

Just seen up to 1250. Great cliffhanger where Shane tells Tug his true intentions. I can't help thinking it would have been an even better cliffhanger if it had come as a surprise to the audience too. Looking forward to next week.

back then summer bay was so different. No river boy stuff, no gangs just a bay going about its day. Its also interesting comparing the school students. I mean you have sarah, angel, damien shane tug and fin compared with maddy, spencer, sasha, matt, oscar evie and josh. back then they just seem much older and mature. Well maybe not tug and shane.

also I cannot believe that was 21 years ago that damien met that lady out in the bush. I can clearly remember that story line and how she was a runner and damien wanted her help. It did not feel 21 years ago. Geez time flies.

Does anyone know the name of the song in 1250 where Ailsa is giving out the costumes. People in the bay have short memories. Wasn't so long ago Alf himself was parading about that stage in a dress. I thought better of Roxy to keep taking the mick out of Adam in the dress.

Thought most of the children at school was pretty horrible to Bill. Just blatent bulling and Fisher letting it happen! I went to high school in the 90s and if somebody like Bill joined we would have been a lot more understanding. And our school wasn't nearly as nice.

And Luke assaulting a student in the diner just brushed over the carpet! I remember when these eps aired the first time I was thought Luke and Roxy were far too familiar with the student to the point of it being unrealistic and I haven't change my opinion.

I do like the current episodes, but there seems to be so many dodgy scenes. The quality seems to range dramatically at the moment. My favourite this week was 1248. Nice scenes with Pippa.

I really think the late 90s get a bad rap. I don't see 1998 as any worse than and not many characters are especially likable at the minute. I find them all incredibly stereotypical and the show is quite sexist at times.

Its like all the girls in school are all the same apart from Sarah. So she's not cool. Same with Damian. I guess characters like Aaron, Tiegan, Joey, Justine, Gypsy weren't ever realy part of a cool gang

Thought most of the children at school was pretty horrible to Bill. Just blatent bulling and Fisher letting it happen! I went to high school in the 90s and if somebody like Bill joined we would have been a lot more understanding. And our school wasn't nearly as nice.

I don't really think H&A used to deal with these sort of 'issue' based storylines very well. They do the same with christian students later in the 90's and the 'geeks' are stereotyped and isolated as well. I get what they're trying to do, but I just think the writing is a bit too over the top at times and the dialogue in the Bill storyline can be hard to believe in.

Archived