1993 Episode Discussion

Dan F

Has anyone noticed a slight change in the opening and closing theme in the latest episodes? It's like they have changed the background instruments very slightly. They seem more prominent.

Could it be that the sound switched from mono to stereo? I seem to remember old tv guides from the 90s that used to say if something was in stereo.

Has anyone noticed a slight change in the opening and closing theme in the latest episodes? It's like they have changed the background instruments very slightly. They seem more prominent.

Could it be that the sound switched from mono to stereo? I seem to remember old tv guides from the 90s that used to say if something was in stereo.

All of the episodes have been in stereo since the pilot episode.

I only noticed when I just played two episodes back from this year and 1991. But then I've noticed that the audio clarity in general changes from episode to episode. Sometimes it's a little muddy, then very bright etc. I presume it's just the quality of the tapes that they're on. Perhaps they did tweak the mix for some reason though.

Made it up to 1255, so still a week or so behind.Oddly, I found my dislike of Shane dissipating a bit in the aftermath of the musical.While he did the wrong thing, there seemed to be an underplayed humility in the aftermath and I also found myself agreeing with his bitterness about the ease with which Tug was forgiven.For all his bravado, it did seem like he realised that his revenge hadn't really been worth it and that he'd hurt a lot of innocent people for nothing.(It seemed that there was still quite a bit of the play to go and with Sarah having run off in tears they had no choice but to abandon it.) Of course, he was soon bragging about it to Adam (which was a bit odd since last time I checked Adam and Tug were friends) but oddly I didn't mind that.Tug didn't really come across very well, expecting to be treated like a hero for being a macho idiot and helping ruin everyone's night.I think that is actually him and Sarah broken up for good, the strip poker was the last thing I could remember where they were definitely together, so that makes it another three month relationship that the 2002 writers seemed convinced was one of the show's great love affairs.(Alf announcing they got married nine years after they broke up still leaves me thinking "How?")

I didn't really like Shane jumping to conclusions about Adam, who I really don't think did it, although I've got no idea who: I'm kind of expecting it to be some random kids that Michael or Alf told off once. I was surprised to see Sally and Angel are still friends, I thought that had been quietly dropped.Nice to see Sally's still on the show, she tends to disappear for weeks at a time.

I do kind of feel a bit of sympathy for Greg and Fiona, I'm not saying Bobby deserves to be cheated on but in many ways they are better suited.Fiona kind of gave Greg an out by clearing the air with Bobby, but not mentioning the attraction between them.

Fin continues to come over well in her treatment of Bill and Luke seems to have grudgingly accepted her viewpoint for now...

I've got a lot of confusing issues with the whole Sarah/Tug/Shane/Adam thing!

1) I feel like the whole issue of Sarah being forced into a kiss and held so that she couldn't get away, has kind of been brushed under the carpet. It was assault, wasn't it?

2) I feel that Tug has been unfairly treated. Yes he was wrong to jump on stage and bash Shane but how long was everyone else going to stand by and let it go on for? Was he just supposed to sit there for what, 2, 5, 10 minutes? Nobody else was making a move. He wasn't to know that Luke was, apparantly "about to". He certainly didn't look like he was. Sarah says she didn't need anyone to come to her rescue, well she clearly wasn't able to defend herself.

3) So Shane shows absolutely no guilt or regret for what he did, ruining a show that people had put months of work and money into, not to mention assaulting and humiliating an innocent girl, yet in the same week he is MORALLY OUTRAGED that somebody could target the Rosses (with whom he has shared little screentime apart from Damien). I found that a little jarring!

4) Everyone was really rough on Adam. And to be honest, this is a problem I have not just in this particular storyline but with the way Adam is treated in general. He comes across to me like a loveable scamp, who always mucks things up but his heart is always in the right place. But everyone treats him like he's a horrible, selfish, nasty person. And I really hate there were no apologies from Alf, Michael and others after the things they said to him. Alf told him to get out of town, not to mention calling him some pretty nasty names.

There's a few mentions of Bobby's past recently that make me think the writers are reminiscing in the lead up to... you know what. Bobby talking about her past marraige to Frank and then how she drifted for a while before fostering Sam and then eventually meeting Greg was like a summary of her time on the show! And then Roxy talking about how Bobby has helped other kids and used to be a troubled kid herself, it all feels very "This is your life".

I am normally the last person to find fault with Michael but the way he treated Bill this week was pretty harsh and unforgivable.

I know he was only being protective and fatherly towards Finn but he should have taken a step back and thought about the "innocent" situation, the friendship between them and the fact that Bill is mentally disabled before giving him a piece of his mind.

Naughty Michael.... tut tut !!

I am pleased Finn had the final say on the matter though.....

Archived