1993 Episode Discussion

Dan F

You have to feel sorry for Bobby. She can't do anything right with Greg these days. Greg is way too over sensitive. And I really don't buy that they are always struggling with money even with two incomes. Bobby owns half a diner for pete's sake and the diner is just about the only cafe in town. Bobby should be raking it in. Plus they have boarders who supposedly pay the rent.

Plus they also own two vehicles - Bobby's little red runaround and now Greg seems to be driving some vile-coloured ute (where did that come from?). Doubtless he has a mattress in the back...

That's right Natasha! Bobby's days are now numbered!

I welcomed Bobby's death because I hated her back in the day (like with Tug, bitching at Greg because he wouldn't let Tug move in, her bitchy attitude, etc.) but as time goes on, death is too permanent and as such, "killing off" a character is too permanent as the fans understandably wanted her back some years down the track.

That's right Natasha! Bobby's days are now numbered!

I welcomed Bobby's death because I hated her back in the day (like with Tug, bitching at Greg because he wouldn't let Tug move in, her bitchy attitude, etc.) but as time goes on, death is too permanent and as such, "killing off" a character is too permanent as the fans understandably wanted her back some years down the track.

Old H&A Fan what did you think of

Bobby's return through the fridge?

I'm not sure which way to look at it. When I originally watched it, after reading the promo article about it in TV Week beforehand (this was before the days of the Internet) I thought of it as a part of the storyline where

Alsa was having a breakdown, and I saw it as Alsa remembering Bobby and this is what she would think of her shutting Alf out, and making her realise that Alf cares about her and to stop shutting him out.

Michael and Pippa's final cathartic conversation on the beach is something else that's stuck in my mind.The storyline hasn't been easy viewing, and Pippa has been downright unlikable at times, but in a way we needed it, everyone being back to normal immediately after the funeral wouldn't have worked.Perhaps it proves the adage that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

There is a feeling of Greg looking for something from Fiona that he's not getting from Bobby.It was understandable at first (Bobby was pretty unreasonable just assuming he could pick up Sam) but now that she's actually being pretty pleasant and he's still going back there it feels less justified.He definitely crossed a line by lying to Bobby about where he'd been.It's interesting that Fiona now clearly knows about Bobby and Sam:When they first met, Greg started to tell her about them but got interrupted.

You know, I remember when I first watched these episodes, seeing that awkward and guilty way that Luke hugs Bill in the caravan, coupled with his overprotective attitude and Roxy's reference to Bill having an accident that left him brain damaged, and thinking "There's a story here.Luke did something."

So it's surprising how long it takes for it to pay off.

I also remember Shane and Angel's first brief alliance, although Angel's quick to snap back into "But I still don't like you" mode afterwards.Both of them were pretty dumb in the initial set-up:Angel puts the mug on the very surface Shane has been clearing and Shane doesn't notice it there.

I'm getting a bit confused about when Tug and Sarah split up.I know they split up after the musical and for a long time I thought that was for good (or until 2002's left field marrying them off). Then I remembered the storyline about him being too serious too soon and thought that that was what broke them up.But now that's here already, before the musical, so I'm thinking maybe I was right the first time...

Just watched today's episode (1246). This again begs the question: Why are Shane and Angel acting as though they hate each other? Is it because they're too afraid of loving each other (or at least trying to work at getting to know one another in a positive manner?) If it's sexual frustration, why does it have to be disguised?

And now, Mr Fisher catches Shane and Angel wrestling each other and warns them of the "consequences of what you were about to do", like he was deliberately being vague while being bold at the same time. When it comes to sex, the people of Summer Bay seem to have the most difficulty calling a spade a spade, and instead talk in riddles and beat around the bush. FOR GOD SAKE WHY!!!!

And now, Mr Fisher catches Shane and Angel wrestling each other and warns them of the "consequences of what you were about to do", like he was deliberately being vague while being bold at the same time. When it comes to sex, the people of Summer Bay seem to have the most difficulty calling a spade a spade, and instead talk in riddles and beat around the bush. FOR GOD SAKE WHY!!!!

Well, the ambiguity was necessary for comic purposes, so they could keep talking at cross purposes (about ironing/sex). The script was rather mediocre here, as I recall it required Angel to talk in a convoluted and totally unnatural way to keep the ambiguity going.

Archived