Channel 5 Transmission Discussion/Updates

630si

3 hours ago, c120701 said:

It would be mad if Channel 5 didn't want to close the gap. I would hazard a guess that it's Seven's doing because of their scheduling. 

Doesn't matter much many stories go around in circles so much you feel like you have already seen things :lol:

• Like 2

It's crazy in this day and age that Channel 5 are running 5 weeks behind. Even in the final years of ITV, it was running 4 weeks or less behind, and when it finished, it was only 4 episodes behind. I'm sure it's not Channel 5's choice to run that far behind. I am sure they would like to show it the same day, as with Neighbours. Are they really contractually blocked from closing the gap? Maybe to get "same day" rights they would need to pay more money and don't think it's worth it? But aren't Channel 5 paying a substantial amount of H&A's production costs anyway? It doesn't make a lot of sense. Even if they wanted to avoid a long Christmas break, they could still show the first half of the year as "same day".

Perhaps the audience is so low these days that Channel 5 don't really care any more? I know I don't care that much. Gone are the days when I'd read ahead in the spoilers. Perhaps it's because I could be about 90% certain that in the next few months: someone will end up in hospital, probably due to some violent crime incident involving guns and/or explosives and a hostage situation, and someone will end up pregnant and think the father is one of three people, and someone will discover their entire life is a lie. (*any similiarities with what really happens is entirely predictable co-incidental).

• Like 1

On ‎22‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 2:42 PM, Gerard said:

It's crazy in this day and age that Channel 5 are running 5 weeks behind. Even in the final years of ITV, it was running 4 weeks or less behind, and when it finished, it was only 4 episodes behind. I'm sure it's not Channel 5's choice to run that far behind. I am sure they would like to show it the same day, as with Neighbours. Are they really contractually blocked from closing the gap? Maybe to get "same day" rights they would need to pay more money and don't think it's worth it? But aren't Channel 5 paying a substantial amount of H&A's production costs anyway? It doesn't make a lot of sense. Even if they wanted to avoid a long Christmas break, they could still show the first half of the year as "same day".

I'm pretty much sure it is their choice, I don't see who else's choice it could be.They've still got the European premiere rights as far as I'm aware, other (non-European) countries have smaller gaps.I don't see how they could show the episodes "same day" without drastically altering their schedules to accommodate the erratic Australian scheduling but provided they don't show episodes Australia don't have there's nothing to stop them closing the gap.They probably just don't think it's worth it, although to be fair to them the publicity has improved a bit this year.

I don't want another gap in the middle of next year, although I guess we'll have to wait and see exactly how far we end up behind.I've nothing against them showing old episodes but not at the expense of the current show.

21 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

I'm pretty much sure it is their choice, I don't see who else's choice it could be.They've still got the European premiere rights as far as I'm aware, other (non-European) countries have smaller gaps.I don't see how they could show the episodes "same day" without drastically altering their schedules to accommodate the erratic Australian scheduling but provided they don't show episodes Australia don't have there's nothing to stop them closing the gap.They probably just don't think it's worth it, although to be fair to them the publicity has improved a bit this year.

I don't want another gap in the middle of next year, although I guess we'll have to wait and see exactly how far we end up behind.I've nothing against them showing old episodes but not at the expense of the current show.

Seems strange Channel 5 would chose to run weeks behind though. There's certainly no logistical reason why they need to have the gap. But yes, I had forgotten about the erratic scheduling of double and triple episodes etc, but if they were to run one week behind Australia, that would smooth out any potential issues. Maybe Channel 5 aren't that bothered about H&A, It is there, but they don't seem to go out of their way to promote it very much. Most of their energies seem to go into Neighbours, and I suppose they think having the shows back-to-back is enough for the audience to remain loyal (but past viewing figures have shown that generally a small number of people actually switch away at 6pm).

The series still has to go off air for 6-8 weeks (whatever the Austrailan season break is), I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one who would be OK if they aligned the break with Australia, as during December there is plenty to do besides watching TV. On the other hand I don't mind a mid-year gap either, when the weather is good and there are things to do outside. I wouldn't mind if Channel 5 repeated some episodes pre-2000. There are certainly spells of the show in recent years I wouldn't want to revisit.

• Like 2

Yes it does seem that Channel 5 see H&A as the underdog. It plods on in the shadow of Neighbours. I think 20-25 years ago when it was on ITV it never reached the heights of Neighbours. In the early 1990s Neighbours got about 17-18 million and H&A about 14 million. Neighbours was so big at one time that cast even performed in front of the Queen. H&A never reached those heights.

1 hour ago, Homeandawayfan. said:

Yes it does seem that Channel 5 see H&A as the underdog. It plods on in the shadow of Neighbours. I think 20-25 years ago when it was on ITV it never reached the heights of Neighbours. In the early 1990s Neighbours got about 17-18 million and H&A about 14 million. Neighbours was so big at one time that cast even performed in front of the Queen. H&A never reached those heights.

Which is funny, because Home and Away has always been the most popular in Australia, even in the first six weeks, at the end of which, it was axed (but promptly revived!)

• Like 1