Channel 5 Transmission Discussion/Updates

630si

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I recently emailed Channel Five and asked why we here could not have a full season aired as it does in Australia. January until December. They break it up in such a way that there is never a real cliffhanger for the winter finale that will make people who have just started watching the show think when is this back I need to see what happens next. Channel Five insists on keeping the show six to eight weeks behind the Australian air dates. They could easily go four weeks behind. I guess they do not want it off air too long during the January/winter ratings period but go four weeks behind and use this as Home and Away the season final weeks. They air it in a really weird way. Sometimes when it comes back you have to think oh what happened again?! According to Channel 5 they have been told to keep the show at least six weeks behind by 7 and it is in a contract. I wonder why? When New Zealand does not have to do this. Also 5 airs Neighbours on the same day as Australia here. They could at least go four weeks behind and have January and the finale weeks then premiere the show the same week as Australia. Any thoughts?  

Edited by Bri1231
Grammar

18 minutes ago, 630si said:

I would guess it’s a money thing? Otherwise we’d have seen it happen by now. Channel 5 pays considersbly more for Neighbours.

Maybe I guess. Have always known Channel Five pays a lot of cash for Home and Away and pretty much half of the production costs, so then would they rather not then air the show as close to Australia as possible, for ratings reasons, as people do go off and watch it online instead. Just doesn't make sense. 

It really does make sense. And since they changed Neighbours to same air date the ratings have been great. 

The last few years, they’ve kept it on air all summer anyway unlike years gone by so the only break we’re getting is in winter now anyway.  

15 minutes ago, 630si said:

It really does make sense. And since they changed Neighbours to same air date the ratings have been great. 

The last few years, they’ve kept it on air all summer anyway unlike years gone by so the only break we’re getting is in winter now anyway.  

It does make sense and ratings would go way up. 

I think they should take it off air in the summer again as that is a low ratings period and keep it on over winter with maybe a two week christmas break? Then end the season in January.

3 hours ago, Bri1231 said:

It does make sense and ratings would go way up. 

I think they should take it off air in the summer again as that is a low ratings period and keep it on over winter with maybe a two week christmas break? Then end the season in January.

I agree.

Plus I liked it when they used the summer to show old episodes although sadly not the early years as ITV showed them initially so channel 5 don't have the rights to show them.

1 hour ago, voyager50 said:

I agree.

Plus I liked it when they used the summer to show old episodes although sadly not the early years as ITV showed them initially so channel 5 don't have the rights to show them.

Me too. I asked Channel 5 about these as well and they said the old episodes did not rate very well. Erm, maybe because you guys picked them instead of allowing the fans to do so, which when they did this once, the ratings were pretty good. Thankfully the show is long gone from ITV, they used to edit those episodes so much sometimes I do not know how UK viewers were not left confused. The amount of good stuff( scenes/storylines) you guys missed out on. Anyways that is a whole other thread lol. I just even remember a friend of mine saying im sick of this whole storyline now it is dragging out too much and I said yeah but it was wrapped up four months ago in Australia. Even with baby Luc on the winter return week mate said she looks small is'nt she the same age as Esme (daughter) I said yeah she is but watching it on channel 5 she is still technically only 9 months old!  ??

Edited by Bri1231
Added