Channel 5 Transmission Discussion/Updates

630si

It appears given the schedules and timeslots in the 2 weeks after 4th December that we've lost Home and Away to allow Neighbours to catch up two weeks. 

Of course we'll have the Olympics next year, so there will be an extra break in Australia probably, so we might catch up then. Plus Neighbours will have to finish on 2nd December next year, so maybe Home and Away will continue further into December.

Channel 5 have today confirmed that from January 2016 they will be head to head with Australia with Neighbours and will show the same episode in the UK as Australia.  To me this is fantastic news; next question?  When will they do this with Home and Away?

The old excuse of a long Christmas break has gone by the wayside as it now takes a break over Christmas anyway?

Is there any feasible reason why Home and Away can;t be head to head as well?

9 hours ago, c120701 said:

Of course we'll have the Olympics next year, so there will be an extra break in Australia probably, so we might catch up then.

I think I'm right in saying that Home and Away didn't take a break for the Olympics in 2012 because Channel 7 no longer has the rights to them.Don't know if that's still the case.I wouldn't be surprised if we have another break between now and then anyway.I'm pretty much expecting it.

2 hours ago, Benjamin Shatliff said:

Channel 5 have today confirmed that from January 2016 they will be head to head with Australia with Neighbours and will show the same episode in the UK as Australia.  To me this is fantastic news; next question?  When will they do this with Home and Away?

The old excuse of a long Christmas break has gone by the wayside as it now takes a break over Christmas anyway?

Is there any feasible reason why Home and Away can;t be head to head as well?

To be honest, this seems like further evidence that Channel 5 consider Home and Away the poor relation, especially if, as was suggested above, the Home and Away break is partly to bring Neighbours in line with Australia.I would much rather they kept Neighbours two weeks behind than make the Home and Away gap insurmountable.

Channel 5 were subjected to another of my ranty e-mails and I received a standard reply which included the phrase "Our contract with the Australian broadcasters does not allow us to catch up."I've pressed them for more details, see how long it takes to get past the PR spiels.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

I think I'm right in saying that Home and Away didn't take a break for the Olympics in 2012 because Channel 7 no longer has the rights to them.Don't know if that's still the case.I wouldn't be surprised if we have another break between now and then anyway.I'm pretty much expecting it.

To be honest, this seems like further evidence that Channel 5 consider Home and Away the poor relation, especially if, as was suggested above, the Home and Away break is partly to bring Neighbours in line with Australia.I would much rather they kept Neighbours two weeks behind than make the Home and Away gap insurmountable.

Channel 5 were subjected to another of my ranty e-mails and I received a standard reply which included the phrase "Our contract with the Australian broadcasters does not allow us to catch up."I've pressed them for more details, see how long it takes to get past the PR spiels.

They lost the rights for the 2012 Olympics, but Seven won them back for 2016 & 2020.

To be fair to Channel 5, if I were a broadcaster I wouldn't want to catch up whilst Seven are messing with the schedule so much as you'd either end up breaching the contract by accidentally going ahead or run out of episodes because Seven haven't aired any for 5 days and are showing a triple bill once a week or whatever they're doing.

Edited by c120701
  • Like 2

Wow!! Five weeks ey? Boy! That's a heck of a long break and especially for a daily soap opera like H&A. Whatever am I gonna do with that spare half hour every day for 5 WEEKS!!! :o:o Might have to go back to Neigh. then aargh!! :o 

I don't really have an issue with the gap being quite so big for us and Aus with H&A as long as the episodes keep ticking over nicely and we don't a have a flippin 5 WEEK break. A two or three week break maybe but 5??? It might be kinda good to have a break from these sorts of shows at a couple of specific points throughout the year. But just short breaks.

Yeah maybe it will be alright if 5* show some classic eps. during the break. :) Always up for learning more about the present characters pasts' and those characters from the past who I only vaguely got to know anyway. I only watched H&A properly for myself for about three years the first time around. :o Wow! Didn't realise it was quite that short!! :o "Braxtonville Crime Takeover" got in the way grrrr!! Anyhoo I used to watch a little bit, every now and again with my sister when we were both a lot younger (once the show made the initial change to C5) so it would be interesting to see the past episodes for me! :wink: 

Just out of interest how long is the Neigh. Christmas UK break gonna be does anyone know? Same as Aus. pos? 

Like I said I really don't have a massive problem with the gap issue between us and Aus. but maybe it does seem a bit ridiculous that in the UK we are quite so far behind Australia. Is there a particular reason for this do we know. Like on the Australian end? I know what C5 are saying.

You know when I first came back to H&A this time around I did find some clips of Matt and Charlotte on Youtube and I thought this was a relationship that had been and gone earlier in the year just before I came back. I was later to find out of course that this was not the case. This whole thing probably occured coz I was going along with the fact that the UK is two weeks behind with Neigh.

Anyway I'll stop banging on about it now. This is an interesting and useful thread to have for all of us English viewers right guys? ;) It is kinda good to have an end date I guess. That way I won't be watching it on the Friday and then anticipating an ep. on Mon. 7 Dec. only to be disappointed when there is none.  

Sounds like too that we're not gonna have an entirely useless "season finale" here in the UK so that's something good at least! ;)

Edited by Changelo shipper <3

17 hours ago, c120701 said:

They lost the rights for the 2012 Olympics, but Seven won them back for 2016 & 2020.

To be fair to Channel 5, if I were a broadcaster I wouldn't want to catch up whilst Seven are messing with the schedule so much as you'd either end up breaching the contract by accidentally going ahead or run out of episodes because Seven haven't aired any for 5 days and are showing a triple bill once a week or whatever they're doing.

Thanks for the info.And good point about Seven's schedule.Broadcasting on the same day would be impractical, even on a good week they only broadcast four days.My preferred option would be 2 weeks behind, but that doesn't leave a lot of room for manoeuvre if Seven start playing silly beggars.So ideally, I'd aim for a 3-4 week gap.

19 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

I agree with this red, I've thought myself for a while that ch5 consider H&A to be the poor relation, their bias of Neighbours is so blatant with all the plugs on twitter while H&A hardly ever gets such plugs, and there's far more Neighbours promos than H&A ones. 

I wish theyd reconsider this long break, it's a golden opportunity to close the gap on Australia being wasted. I've worked out we could close the gap to 2 weeks if the show carries on over Christmas. Anyway time for tonight's ep now :)

• Like 1