Channel 5 Transmission Discussion/Updates

630si

1 hour ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

Hopefully not.Given that we're 5-6 weeks behind, we really don't need one.But I won't breathe easily until we get to the end of August...

Is there anymore talk of us possibly catching up to same day screenings like Neighbours? Or has that ship sailed? 

• 1 month later...
24 minutes ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

Slightly insane scheduling but on the plus side, we again seem to be going right through to the end of August and beyond without a break, so kudos to Channel 5 for that!

Absolutely. It looks as though we're going right to November/December. 

The scheduling is odd to me also. In the past they've slid neighbours to 5 o clock and Home and Away to 5:30 on a bank holiday. And I don't think being on straight after The Wright stuff would harm anyone. :)

It's not such a big deal these days in the era of On Demand.  

I remember ITV once stuck Home & Away on at 11:10am and 3:40pm on a bank holiday.  When the reboot of Crossroads took those slots over, they'd only have a lunchtime showing on bank holidays.  I'm surprised they don't do that now TBH - it's not like there aren't other ways to see the programme if you miss it.

I must admit I do miss the classic episodes on 5* that used to be aired during the summer break though, although some of them were badly thought out, the From Day One series we had during Summer 2012 was absolutely superb and it was great to see some stuff from the ITV era again.  Two episodes on television and a third on-demand (one of the few times I've been grateful for having Virgin in the days before I owned a Smart TV)  I think the fact we don't have a summer break now probably has more to do with the synchronisation of Neighbours with Australia - that can't come off-air for our Summer now, so instead I would imagine they'll take both shows off when Neighbours takes its Summer break in Oz.

I don't think moving Home & Away to 5pm permanently is a bad idea, you know.  It would avoid it being up against The Simpsons.  Either that, or I'd move Neighbours to 5pm and Home & Away to 5:30pm - but I would go back to having the premiere at teatime, not lunchtime.  It would guarantee a bigger audience for the evening showing that way - is there even much of an audience at lunchtime now compared to the 90s?

I don't get the First Look thing either, especially now everyone can get Channel 5 in HD, but up against Hollyoaks it performs pretty well.

Edited by James Martin

Yes the premier is actually 5* and performs well in the ratings as you say. I don't watch it due to not being in HD either. I like the 6pm slot though. It's a great alternative to news and the show has been there longer than it hasn't now! 

I think the 6pm slot works well too.Any earlier and there's a good chance people won't be home yet.They could do with losing the First Time slot, even though it is of use to me on occasion.

I'm not convinced the lack of summer break has anything to do with Neighbours, which always used to continue new broadcasts while Home and Away was off air anyway.I think it's just the case that there's a big enough gap now that they don't need one.I've been wary of mentioning it in case someone at Channel 5 notices, but the recent erratic Oz scheduling has meant that we're now only about a month behind the Australian transmission.The gap shouldn't really close until November, although I'm worried it'll leave us with a huge backlog if Channel 5 take the show off before we even get into December and 7 Network start showing eight episodes a week to fit the rest of the season in.