The Location Thread

ctang

I'm a bit behind but will look out for that!

Sorry, couldn't resist expanding on Alex's idea and introducing a subtle change, just to see how things could have been. Technically if they were only using it for static stock shots, someone with way too much time on their hands could easily have done it in post-production :P

sbhedited_zpswsma0ief.jpg

(the chairs have been nicked in the past few years by one of the Braxtons)

I think it looks so much nicer with a red roof over a grey one.

Still on topic but kind of off, the surf club scene where Oscar and Andrew were talking outside the surf club, but were still on the set as you could see the inside of the surf club behind Andrew looked fantastic, they need to do more scenes like that. Knowing they were on a set but looked like it was on location gave me chills.

The Summer Bay House with the roof painted red looks superb but the current look is also great and I think most people appreciate the fact that exterior scenes are being shown again outside the Summer Bay House after so many years.

It took me aback initially seeing Alf and Roo and then later Spencer, Chris and Oscar hanging outside the house but I liked it a lot and it reminded me of the old days.

Looking forward to seeing more of the same!

Still on topic but kind of off, the surf club scene where Oscar and Andrew were talking outside the surf club, but were still on the set as you could see the inside of the surf club behind Andrew looked fantastic, they need to do more scenes like that. Knowing they were on a set but looked like it was on location gave me chills.

The one on the balcony at Angelo's? Yes they do those quite well (the nighttime ones like that one work much better though). The Pier Diner has had a few night scenes like that, where we can see all the fairy lights outside with some depth between them and the backdrop, and it really does look like they're sitting at Palmy. They even use a very old SFX trick to have the reflections of the water shining up at the cast members :P

Nah it was on the bottom level i wish I was able to take screenshots but yes it was at night... But you know theyre doing a brilliant job when you don't know whether it's on location or on the set as I haven't noticed them before.

Seen some negative comments on H&A Facebook page about the look of the Summer Bay house someone said it was inconsistent and lazy. I hope tPTB don't listen to them as it looks fantastic and makes me feel all nostalgic that they are back at the original location like when I was a kid.

Edited by Perry

I was so shocked when I saw the new outside of the Summer Bay House. Obviously I'm just young and didn't remember what it used to look like, but it looks nothing like what I imagined. It's a lot bigger, and there is so much space outside! I had this idea that there was a lot of bush oustide, and no porch, and I thought that when you stepped out of the house, you were just a few steps away from the actual caravan park. (Why would you place your house right next to a noisy caravan park? Don't ask me, I didn't think this through.)

It looks so great. I just want to move there now. Alf Stewart can adopt me, if he wants to.

The house actually looks bigger than it is, if you try to ignore the verandah you'll see how relatively small the house itself is. Let's just say that there's no way they'd fit 3 bedrooms, a bathroom and an attic room up there :P

Nah it was on the bottom level i wish I was able to take screenshots but yes it was at night... But you know theyre doing a brilliant job when you don't know whether it's on location or on the set as I haven't noticed them before.

Seen some negative comments on H&A Facebook page about the look of the Summer Bay house someone said it was inconsistent and lazy. I hope tPTB don't listen to them as it looks fantastic and makes me feel all nostalgic that they are back at the original location like when I was a kid.

Ah yes, at first glance I just presumed it was Angelo's.

It is annoying when people start criticising whilst being ignorant of the facts, but I guess for people who've only started watching in the past 10 years and haven't seen our Locations page or suchlike, it probably is understandable.

Correct me if I'm wrong as I haven't watched closely for a few years, but the rare times we have seen stock shots of the house over the past 12 years, I'm sure it's only really been these two shots:

sbhstock1_zpsozr6ahsw.jpg

sbhstock2_zpsraaw08mz.jpg

Thinking about my previous comment about upscaling the old footage, they'd already been filming in 16:9 for 2 years before the house burnt down, so it may be the case that those were the only shots they'd done in that format during that time - and as such the only ones considered for upscaling to HD with all the older ones being 4:3. Unfortunately they're just not the best ones to show off the house, but then hindsight is a wonderful thing.

To go from those foliage filled side views to these vast wide shots at the front of the house probably would be a bit jarring to those not familiar with it. I guess the unfortunate lack of foliage nowadays also does make it that little bit harder to believe it's right next to the beach (the land is supposed to border onto it), but no-one can hold that against them.

I'd love to know what the actual interior of the house is like (both before and after fire).

*inserts one of those annoying, vague, possibly knowing winks*

:wink:

• Like 1

The house actually looks bigger than it is, if you try to ignore the verandah you'll see how relatively small the house itself is. Let's just say that there's no way they'd fit 3 bedrooms, a bathroom and an attic room up there :P

Ah yes, at first glance I just presumed it was Angelo's.

It is annoying when people start criticising whilst being ignorant of the facts, but I guess for people who've only started watching in the past 10 years and haven't seen our Locations page or suchlike, it probably is understandable.

Correct me if I'm wrong as I haven't watched closely for a few years, but the rare times we have seen stock shots of the house over the past 12 years, I'm sure it's only really been these two shots:

sbhstock1_zpsozr6ahsw.jpg

sbhstock2_zpsraaw08mz.jpg

Thinking about my previous comment about upscaling the old footage, they'd already been filming in 16:9 for 2 years before the house burnt down, so it may be the case that those were the only shots they'd done in that format during that time - and as such the only ones considered for upscaling to HD with all the older ones being 4:3. Unfortunately they're just not the best ones to show off the house, but then hindsight is a wonderful thing.

To go from those foliage filled side views to these vast wide shots at the front of the house probably would be a bit jarring to those not familiar with it. I guess the unfortunate lack of foliage nowadays also does make it that little bit harder to believe it's right next to the beach (the land is supposed to border onto it), but no-one can hold that against them.

I'd love to know what the actual interior of the house is like (both before and after fire).

*inserts one of those annoying, vague, possibly knowing winks*

:wink:

I'm fairly sure there was one the same as the bottom shot but in daytime as well.

It looks so good with the red roof. Anyone fancy a trip down under to paint the town red? ;-)

Thinking about it as well, they could always turn the house around in the interior, so say the front door was the side door they always use - it might actually fit the set a lot better.