The Location Thread

ctang

With the surf club upstairs problem, is it possible that the stairs bend/change direction, making the upstairs balcony in the right spot?

The stairs themselves are part of the issue though as they wouldn't be anywhere near one side of the restaurant, they'd be right in the middle.

With the surf club upstairs problem, is it possible that the stairs bend/change direction, making the upstairs balcony in the right spot?

The stairs themselves are part of the issue though as they wouldn't be anywhere near one side of the restaurant, they'd be right in the middle.

I think I understand how you're seeing it now after being confused for a while. The thing to remember is that there is actually a small extension in between those two buildings of the surf club. Basically coming in from the beach, everything to the immediate left of the doors, up to the door to the gym, is in that area between the two blocks.

The staircase goes up from that area to adjoin the side of the middle block where Angelo's is (the new extension does overhang it ever so slightly so could work at a push), and they then presumably double back on themselves to come down the corridor to the restaurant.

That still doesn't explain the balcony overlooking the ocean though, even if the stairs did change direction, they'd have to wrap around the whole building to have it work correctly.

I'm not quite sure what they're going to do with that. As you'll recall, that corner of the verandah was filled in on the old house (it was a laundry) and the porch sat on the outside of that. One of the very few changes they made to the exterior when they rebuilt it was to remove the old laundry so that the verandah continues around that corner.

They have definitely increased the size of the lattice side porch on the interior set now and it does go back a lot further than it used to too. I suspect they will have a replica one that they will put up when filming at the exterior house, to disguise the fact that the veranda now goes all the way round. But we will see.

Yeah thinking about it they could just stick a bit of trellis inside the verandah if they wanted to, though it might look a bit odd, and just frame it carefully to hide the other set of french doors.

Well that question has now been answered, the trellis has indeed been added to the verandah and it works rather nicely. More-so than the old version actually, considering the shape never matched the interior, and it also explains why the porch on the interior set is now larger.

6136_zpsqccdddhl.jpg

Didn't hide that extra door though :P They're using that door as the side door, I guess. Really they needed to turn that one into a window.

And today's ep confirmed that yes they are using that door as the 'main' door.

Ah... that's acceptable :D Not that I even watch the current show anymore. It doesn't quite work, as the door isn't really behind the trellis, but hey what's a few centimeters when it's Summer Bay House back on screen. It's not like the other exterior locations match up with their interior sets anyway! Good on them for going to so much effort to make it work.

Did we ever see round the other side of the house in the old days? To the right of the front door?

I'm not quite sure what they're going to do with that. As you'll recall, that corner of the verandah was filled in on the old house (it was a laundry) and the porch sat on the outside of that. One of the very few changes they made to the exterior when they rebuilt it was to remove the old laundry so that the verandah continues around that corner.

They have definitely increased the size of the lattice side porch on the interior set now and it does go back a lot further than it used to too. I suspect they will have a replica one that they will put up when filming at the exterior house, to disguise the fact that the veranda now goes all the way round. But we will see.

Yeah thinking about it they could just stick a bit of trellis inside the verandah if they wanted to, though it might look a bit odd, and just frame it carefully to hide the other set of french doors.

Well that question has now been answered, the trellis has indeed been added to the verandah and it works rather nicely. More-so than the old version actually, considering the shape never matched the interior, and it also explains why the porch on the interior set is now larger.

6136_zpsqccdddhl.jpg

Didn't hide that extra door though :PThey're using that door as the side door, I guess. Really they needed to turn that one into a window.

And today's ep confirmed that yes they are using that door as the 'main' door. I don't think we've seen much of the Summer Bay House interior, but does the trellis cover the door on the interior? Looking at the sunlight on Roo's face in today's 5* episode as she looked out of it I don't think it does.

Edited by c120701

Ah... that's acceptable :D Not that I even watch the current show anymore. It doesn't quite work, as the door isn't really behind the trellis, but hey what's a few centimeters when it's Summer Bay House back on screen. It's not like the other exterior locations match up with their interior sets anyway! Good on them for going to so much effort to make it work.

Did we ever see round the other side of the house in the old days? To the right of the front door?

I don't think they did ever show that other side to my knowledge, save for a couple of stock shots taken from the front right instead of the front left. Not a lot to see though, it was just all open verandah going right around to the rear, and with it being pretty close to the trees it was probably quite dark for camera.

Of course showing that side, or the rear, in any detail would have revealed the lack of patio - and they won't do it anytime soon as that corner is now filled in completely, like the corner in the above pic used to be

I know this is completely unrelated but I started thinking about how the right hand side of the house doesn't exist in the interior set, and then how the same can be said for the Bayside Diner, until Maz's salon came along. And it reminded me of something I have wondered for a while - was the Salon set and the Diner set actually joined together the way it was made out to be (in other words, was the Salon set actually reached through that door in the Diner)? Or were they completely seperate sets?

I know this is completely unrelated but I started thinking about how the right hand side of the house doesn't exist in the interior set, and then how the same can be said for the Bayside Diner, until Maz's salon came along. And it reminded me of something I have wondered for a while - was the Salon set and the Diner set actually joined together the way it was made out to be (in other words, was the Salon set actually reached through that door in the Diner)? Or were they completely seperate sets?

Was Maz's salon meant to be on the right hand side? I always thought it was on the back. That makes more sense now.

Edited by c120701
  • Like 1