The Location Thread

ctang

I know this is completely unrelated but I started thinking about how the right hand side of the house doesn't exist in the interior set, and then how the same can be said for the Bayside Diner, until Maz's salon came along. And it reminded me of something I have wondered for a while - was the Salon set and the Diner set actually joined together the way it was made out to be (in other words, was the Salon set actually reached through that door in the Diner)? Or were they completely seperate sets?

Was Maz's salon meant to be on the right hand side? I always thought it was on the back. That makes more sense now.

Yeah if you look at the front of the location you actually realise there's a whole other side that doesn't get mentioned, let alone used for over 7 years (or did they once mention it as storage...can't recall now). As for the other room at the back where Andrew had his office...well who knows!

I think they would have been separate sets, if they were joined I imagine they'd have probably utilised it a bit more and had a few shots going through the door (even if they did have to stick up a temporary fourth wall).

• Like 1

I realised about the other side, I always just thought with the door being at the back of the diner that it went to the back.

I wonder why they never decided to burn down Summer Bay House on the show. They had the footage of the fire didn't they and they have had plenty of disasters in the years since. I'm glad they didn't though.

I realised about the other side, I always just thought with the door being at the back of the diner that it went to the back.

I wonder why they never decided to burn down Summer Bay House on the show. They had the footage of the fire didn't they and they have had plenty of disasters in the years since. I'm glad they didn't though.

You've got me thinking on that now, I suppose if there was actually a bit of a corridor that we don't see, it could technically work (otherwise it would just clash with the kitchen/pantry). It would explain why it doesn't have the same depth as the diner, and what happened to that room at the back, but of course it would still have the other half of the building inexplicably unused.

Without detailed analysis of which way the characters go once they go through that door, it's hard to be certain either way :P

Yes it was mentioned in reports of the fire of them taking footage of the house after it had burnt down....

I'm not quite sure what they're going to do with that. As you'll recall, that corner of the verandah was filled in on the old house (it was a laundry) and the porch sat on the outside of that. One of the very few changes they made to the exterior when they rebuilt it was to remove the old laundry so that the verandah continues around that corner.

They have definitely increased the size of the lattice side porch on the interior set now and it does go back a lot further than it used to too. I suspect they will have a replica one that they will put up when filming at the exterior house, to disguise the fact that the veranda now goes all the way round. But we will see.

Yeah thinking about it they could just stick a bit of trellis inside the verandah if they wanted to, though it might look a bit odd, and just frame it carefully to hide the other set of french doors.

Well that question has now been answered, the trellis has indeed been added to the verandah and it works rather nicely. More-so than the old version actually, considering the shape never matched the interior, and it also explains why the porch on the interior set is now larger.

6136_zpsqccdddhl.jpg

Didn't hide that extra door though :PThey're using that door as the side door, I guess. Really they needed to turn that one into a window.

And today's ep confirmed that yes they are using that door as the 'main' door.I don't think we've seen much of the Summer Bay House interior, but does the trellis cover the door on the interior? Looking at the sunlight on Roo's face in today's 5* episode as she looked out of it I don't think it does. Yeah the trellis does cover the door onset lol. Maybe they could move the trellis back abit to match the new exterior and have it like the farm house's main door where it looks like its open but have a better version of the fake outside look. But I'm just happy they're filming more outside scenes :)

Edited by Fabulous_Jordyn

Yeah the trellis does cover the door onset lol. Maybe they could move the trellis back abit to match the new exterior and have it like the farm house's main door where it looks like its open but have a better version of the fake outside look. But I'm just happy they're filming more outside scenes :)

The little window beside the door is now missing too. It's not too much of a discrepancy when you see how badly some of the other locations match-up to the interior sets.

Edited by beau_t

Also now the house has returned on screen in the UK, I have noticed the house seems more open at the front, the trees were much closer to the front in the old set and now they are further back, the driveway seems bigger. Then again the geography of Summer Bay as a whole has never made total sense.

Well the trees burnt in the fire that destroyed most of the original house and the driveway is a brand new drive, it now comes up at an angle in front of the house whereas it used to run alongside and was just a dirt track.

• Like 1

I always thought the new SBH was a new location away from Kenthurst, or at least the original location in Kenthurst, but it is apparently the exact same spot the previous SBH stood, am I correct?

Yes it's the rebuild of the original house.

It might be worth having a skim through the thread from which will most likely answer any questions as there's been a lot of discussion of it since it's return in Australia. :wink: