The Location Thread

ctang

I'm not quite sure what they're going to do with that. As you'll recall, that corner of the verandah was filled in on the old house (it was a laundry) and the porch sat on the outside of that. One of the very few changes they made to the exterior when they rebuilt it was to remove the old laundry so that the verandah continues around that corner.

They have definitely increased the size of the lattice side porch on the interior set now and it does go back a lot further than it used to too. I suspect they will have a replica one that they will put up when filming at the exterior house, to disguise the fact that the veranda now goes all the way round. But we will see.

Yeah thinking about it they could just stick a bit of trellis inside the verandah if they wanted to, though it might look a bit odd, and just frame it carefully to hide the other set of french doors.

Well that question has now been answered, the trellis has indeed been added to the verandah and it works rather nicely. More-so than the old version actually, considering the shape never matched the interior, and it also explains why the porch on the interior set is now larger.

6136_zpsqccdddhl.jpg

Didn't hide that extra door though :P They're using that door as the side door, I guess. Really they needed to turn that one into a window.

Actually, having looked at that scene, the thinned out bushland actually lets you appreciate the beauty of that land more, whereas before it was more about the beauty of the house. Now if only the roof were red...

Edited by c120701
  • Like 1

I've also been looking at the Surf Club exterior & the Angelo's set. Does that really not work or is it just me? The upstairs on the exterior is over the gym and the pool table side of the club, not the gelato bar side, but that would mean that the stairs up to Angelo's on the interior set would actually sit somewhere in the dining area rather than where they do.

I'm not really sure where to put this, but here seems as good a place as any to ask... There's a photo of two women hanging up in the Diner by the door to the deck, is it Leah & Irene?

Edited by c120701

Yeah that's what I meant before when I mentioned them removing the old laundry and opening up the verandah so it now continues to the rear of the house. It does match up much better.

Thinking about it, that new door on the side probably would work better as the main door they use, though they haven't extended the verandah up to it so not sure if that's the intention or not. With the door being towards the rear corner on the old build, there wasn't actually any room behind it for the laundry and kitchen.

I think I'm really over-analysing things now..... :P

I've also been looking at the Surf Club exterior & the Angelo's set. Does that really not work or is it just me? The upstairs on the exterior is over the gym and the pool table side of the club, not the gelato bar side, but that would mean that the stairs up to Angelo's on the interior set would actually sit somewhere in the dining area rather than where they do.

I'm not really sure where to put this, but here seems as good a place as any to ask... There's a photo of two women hanging up in the Diner by the door to the deck, is it Leah & Irene?

It's not just you, I'm sure it doesn't work. I'm pretty certain now that the balcony on the set is supposed to be overlooking the ocean - especially since they started using the ocean-facing balcony on the exterior. If that is the case then it simply does not fit as the stairs would be coming up from the wrong side of the building. However if the balcony is supposed to overlook the road, as I thought it must have when it debuted, then it could work at a squeeze.

Yeah that's what I meant before when I mentioned them removing the old laundry and opening up the verandah so it now continues to the rear of the house. It does match up much better.

Thinking about it, that new door on the side probably would work better as the main door they use, though they haven't extended the verandah up to it so not sure if that's the intention or not

I guess the issue they have is that if the extend the trellis then people can't exit through that side gap.

It is just good to have the exterior of the iconic house back, even if there are one or two modifications. In the series fiction this can be down to a refurb.

I am rewatching 1988 again and in Episode 175 in September 1988, Bobby said goodbye to Ailsa and it looks similar to the Rozelle area of Sydney where they have filmed on occasions before. Can anyone confirm this? I could see skyscrapers in the background. Was it Sydney or Melbourne, as they did film a brief scene in Melbourne around the same time involving Roo Stewart in an episode shown in late Sep 1988.

I am rewatching 1988 again and in Episode 175 in September 1988, Bobby said goodbye to Ailsa and it looks similar to the Rozelle area of Sydney where they have filmed on occasions before. Can anyone confirm this? I could see skyscrapers in the background. Was it Sydney or Melbourne, as they did film a brief scene in Melbourne around the same time involving Roo Stewart in an episode shown in late Sep 1988.

It is near that area, yes. That location is one that's awaiting upload to the site once we get a revamp for the section sorted.