The Location Thread

ctang

Looks great! It won't ever beat the original Summer Bay House but great effort by the props department to replicate the original house.

It's the real life rebuilt house, not a replica created by the props department.

Wow I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for correcting me!

Nevertheless it looks fantastic!

I think the only reason it looks a bit different at first glance (other than the roof no longer being red) is probably because the driveway now appears outside in front of the house from the right whereas it used to be from the left. If the drive was still going off to the left it could have possibly looked something like this (more instantly recognisable):

sbh.jpg

• Like 2

Looks great! It won't ever beat the original Summer Bay House but great effort by the props department to replicate the original house.

It's the real life rebuilt house, not a replica created by the props department. Wow I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for correcting me!

Nevertheless it looks fantastic! I think the only reason it looks a bit different at first glance (other than the roof no longer being red) is probably because the driveway now appears outside in front of the house from the right whereas it used to be from the left. If the drive was still going off to the left it could have possibly looked something like this (more instantly recognisable):

sbh.jpg

The fretwork is slightly different at the top of the enclosed balcony also and the house looks wider as there isn't a tree blocking the right side of the verandah.

Let's hope that they have started to use it as a regular location again and they have got some sort of contract organised to start filming there on a permanent basis, including the caravan park. Over the past twelve years the caravan park has looked like a huge bushland whereas the original caravan park felt like it was beach side and charming to reflect the small seaside town Summer Bay is supposed to be.

Actually.... the Caravan Park is already back there. :wink:

It's been on-screen since at least October, I think the first scenes may have been when Gray turned up but don't quote me on it. However it's not in the same place as it was years ago (to the rear of the house). It's further down the hill before the driveway passes the front of the house and they're not visible to each other.

Now that the house is back on-screen they may make the link between them again, we'll wait and see :wink:

I hope that's an 'in the know' wink.

I hadn't realised the latest Caravan Park was in a new site on the old location. I hope they make it look more like the original as they did with the 2008 version as the current one (last seen in the UK in January) is just a bunch of vans sitting on a field.

I hadn't realised the latest Caravan Park was in a new site on the old location. I hope they make it look more like the original as they did with the 2008 version as the current one (last seen in the UK in January) is just a bunch of vans sitting on a field.

I hope so too, I don't like the look of the caravan park in the middle of a field. It doesn't have the same seaside charm as the original which seemed landscaped specifically for the caravans and the sand on the floor etc. It was also smaller and just had more character.

If they're going to the effort of filming back at that location on a permanent basis (hope so), surely it would make sense to connect the house back to the park.

Edited by alexx

It really is great that the Summer Bay House has reappeared. I think those iconic locations like the Summer Bay House, the Surf Club, The Caravan Park and the Diner are part of what holds the show together and gives it its ongoing feel. All characters will eventually leave. Sally did and even Alf can't live forever but if the locations remain then they can be a foundation around which new characters are introduced and new storylines and other necessary changes are introduced.

• Like 1

I think the differences are to be expected. I'm not sure how long it is since the house has been shown but all houses, particularly weatherboard ones, need maintenance. A repaint and even a new roof are not out of character in that time.

• Like 3

Tonight's episode featured scenes with Roo and Alf on the verandah of Summer Bay House and a lovely shot of Alf driving up to the house and Oscar, Spencer et al walking up to the house.

I love seeing the exterior again! I loved the old one and do miss the bushiness of it, but you can't help bushfires.....

Edited by TickTock
  • Like 1