Charlie/Angelo

Mistified

I really don't understand the hype with Charlie/Angelo either. I do feel like there's a desperation to portray them as the new golden couple but what's shown on screen doesn't suggest that at all...apart from the fact that they're doing the typical get together, break up, get together thing. It drives me insane. I don't see any chemistry between them at all and get so bored of their storylines constantly being work related and the same issues being talked about over and over. They might say the words "I love you" or "I need to be with you" but I don't actually feel any of that emotion in their portrayal of the characters and there's no evidence of them being suited...they don't trust each other, theyre not completely honest with each other etc. Even with Belle/Aden, I wasn't particularly bothered by them but I did understand why people liked them. With Changelo I'm just baffled - I think they're the most over-rated couple on the show in a really long time and it does seem like they're promoted a far amount more than what they're actually liked, from what I've seen.

They are not quite liked on this forum, but I do think they have a lot of fans especially in Aus. Both were nominated for most popular actor/actress at the Logies and Esther was even nominated for gold. This shows that a lot of people like them, and thats the reason why they are promoted as the golden couple. But it is really weird to me, I don't like those two either - not even as single characters...

Edited by jodlebirger

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But it is really weird to me, I don't like those two either - not even as single characters...

Yeah, I have come to the stage where I don't like either characters now.

Charlie and Angelo were 2 of my favourites throughout 2008 until 2009 came and every feeling I ever had for them went totally out the window. The whole Joey/Charlie thing was beyong rubbish then Esther was trusted with a huge storyline in the Ruby/Charlie thing which she didn't pull off at all imo. Actually I thought she was dreadful.

Angelo on the other hand - he arrived in the bay as a cheeky chappy type character which was very endearing, even when we saw his dark side during the Aden/Belle/Angelo I loved him, it even made me love him more after how badly Belle treated him! He deserved so much better than that. Then I started to see his idiotic side with all his meddling in switching soil samples for his own personal gain. Then just the Jack business where he became devious and tried to worm his way out of it best he could, even attempting to pay off "Tim Coleman" to keep him quiet about his part in Jack's death. He came back a couple of months after going to "prison" only to get a whole new life in Summer Bay - they said he would be the best person to do the job because he would be able to integrate himself with the community - Oh yeah because he murdered one of the town members and everyone hated his guts so how the police thought he would work well for the job goes completely over my head. It was just some half arsed attempt to bring him back.

and now he is going around town asking for relationship advice, hmm because hes an idiot - he is even getting relationship advice off the man he murdereds widow these days, what is the world coming to.

I haven't been watching lately so I can't vouch for what you're all saying, but I didn't realised they were a) being hyped, b) being set up to a be a golden couple, or c) so unpopular, so your opinions all surprise me.

From my reading of the episode summaries, TV week and spoilers, and the odd episode, I have found very little on them and very little focus on their relationship at all really since Charlie's counselling, until this week that is.

:unsure:

I do think over the past few months Changelo's popularity has went down but I dont think that they are trying to make them the next 'golden couple' or that they are being 'hyped'.

I really like them together so hopefully they stay together now and that make-up/break-up cycle is over.

I really don't understand the hype with Charlie/Angelo either. I do feel like there's a desperation to portray them as the new golden couple but what's shown on screen doesn't suggest that at all...apart from the fact that they're doing the typical get together, break up, get together thing. It drives me insane. I don't see any chemistry between them at all and get so bored of their storylines constantly being work related and the same issues being talked about over and over. They might say the words "I love you" or "I need to be with you" but I don't actually feel any of that emotion in their portrayal of the characters and there's no evidence of them being suited...they don't trust each other, theyre not completely honest with each other etc. Even with Belle/Aden, I wasn't particularly bothered by them but I did understand why people liked them. With Changelo I'm just baffled - I think they're the most over-rated couple on the show in a really long time and it does seem like they're promoted a far amount more than what they're actually liked, from what I've seen.

They are not quite liked on this forum, but I do think they have a lot of fans especially in Aus. Both were nominated for most popular actor/actress at the Logies and Esther was even nominated for gold. This shows that a lot of people like them, and thats the reason why they are promoted as the golden couple. But it is really weird to me, I don't like those two either - not even as single characters...

I agree, they're without doubt very popular with quite a lot core viewers...but they do nothing for the show as a couple or as characters, imo.

I think they're just Jack/Martha reloaded - and those two seemed to have both their lovers and haters in equal large measures too.

I agree, they're without doubt very popular with quite a lot core viewers...but they do nothing for the show as a couple or as characters, imo.

I think they're just Jack/Martha reloaded - and those two seemed to have both their lovers and haters in equal large measures too.

I wouldn't be too sure, just because they people might like them individually doesn't mean they like them as a couple. Plus the Logies seems like half the nominations are bought to me - very dubious. Angelo's fan seem to be the type that loves him for his "looks" and really couldn't give a monkey's who he is dating.

The ratings haven't benefited from the pairing of C/A, and the Bay of Love commercials aren't drawing people in either. I don't think they are anything like a success for the show.

There does seem to be a lot of Changelo hatred going around.The real hardcore haters seem to fall into two categories:People who are never going to forgive Angelo for accidentally killing their favourite character and people with unrealistic expectations about the storylines Charlie was given last year.I can understand their point of view but I don't really agree with them.

Somewhere in the middle are people who think they have no chemistry or that they're overexposed. I can sympathise with them a bit more.I think their chemistry comes and goes rather than being non-existent, the actors perhaps aren't quite up to maintaining it in bland "I love you" scenes or pointless bickering but give them something light and fun and they're actually quite cute together.Overexposed...well, we've just had a few weeks when they've been friends at best and not had a lot of interaction, certainly not a lot of couply interaction, but I guess if you don't like a couple any exposure is too much.

The "another break-up-and-get-back-together couple" viewpoint is the one I really sympathise with because the last thing I want is them turning into another Jack and Martha or worse another Aden and Belle.(Seriously, taking someone back after they climb a tree to spy on you is nothing compared to what those two, maybe even those four, forgave each other for.)I'm hoping that this is birth pangs rather than the norm and that they'll settle down.

I think there are still a number of Changelo fans out there but they're probably too scared to post on BTTB after reading the last page.I think they've got a certain amount of potential, perhaps more than any other couple on the show with one of the best ones leaving soon, and I hope that they're written well in future.

There does seem to be a lot of Changelo hatred going around.The real hardcore haters seem to fall into two categories:People who are never going to forgive Angelo for accidentally killing their favourite character and people with unrealistic expectations about the storylines Charlie was given last year.I can understand their point of view but I don't really agree with them.

I think there are still a number of Changelo fans out there but they're probably too scared to post on BTTB after reading the last page.I think they've got a certain amount of potential, perhaps more than any other couple on the show with one of the best ones leaving soon, and I hope that they're written well in future.

I agree with you here. A lot of people hate Angelo because he killed Jack and because of the whole Joey/Charlie storyline. In my opinion i hated Jack so I was glad when he was killed off and i thought the Charlie/Joey storyline was so pointless, it didn't go anywhere and was really unrealistic. I think Angelo hasn't had the right storylines yet, and there is so much more to be done with the character. Really we have only seen him being "top cop" and i would like to see more different storylines.

I am certainly not scared to voice my opinion!!!! :P I love Charlie and Angelo together. They are so fresh and hopefully now their relationship will be more fun instead of turning into a boring married couple that keeps arguing (not mentioning any names!!!) I just hope now the writers give them interesting storylines. I believe they can be "the" couple of Home and Away.

Edited by beanieking02

red ranger- i do agree with much of what you say but would like some clarification over what you mean by ' unrealistic expectations' over charlie storylines last year. Im assuming you mean charlie/joey. It was actually the show itself that hyped the story saying they wanted to modernise the show,bring it into the 21st century etc and that it felt right now to do it. Esther herself said they wished to do the story properly and that we would be 'surprised how we have done it'. It didnt help when people like Dan F the moderator claimed the charlie/joey story 'was far from over' just after joey had left. Us fans were led to believe it was going to be more than the usual quick lesbian fling for the hot straight woman before quickly returning to men.If they had promoted it like that there wouldnt have been the trouble but they didnt. And is it really that 'unrealistic' to expect the show in 2009/10 to do a gay storyline properly? Rapes/murders,teenagers having sex ok but gays no? Cast members involved in drug and sex scandals no problem-yes great morality by the show. Double standards or what-ok with real life controversy but too scared by doing a gay story properly? When red ranger can we expect a long term gay character/story - 10,20 years time? i dont think some us had unrealistic expectations at all-it is the show that lacks courage and panders to a vocal minority.

Kelly969-I hope I didn't cause offence and I'll try not to do so here.I was referring in part to the Charlie/Joey fans, I was also referring to the fact that a lot of people think Charlie should forget about Angelo and spend more time with Ruby when in fact they have as much interaction as any other parent/child relationship on the show.

I think what everyone seems to forget is that the Charlie/Joey storyline was actually progress.Up until last year, the show had never featured a same sex kiss and frankly it was streets ahead of Gypsy's flirtation with lesbian(the last time they ever attempted to do so with a main character, nearly a decade previous), which consisted of her kissing a girl off-screen and then deciding she wasn't a lesbian after all.So with that in mind, it would probably have been a bit of a leap to suddenly have a permanent gay couple or even a permanent gay character.Perhaps they made a mistake by giving the storyline to someone as central as Charlie, thus colouring the character in some people's eyes and making her a poster girl for same sex relationships which the show was unlikely to follow through on.I think there may also be a cultural thing here, in that many UK fans are used to any show with a large enough cast having a gay character and are surprised to find that in other countries shows are a bit more reluctant to focus on that aspect of society.Sad as it is, I suspect that a short time previous even a storyline like that one would have been considered out of the question and the reaction from some viewers in Australia indicates that while it might seem timid to a UK audience for them it was considered quite daring.