Charlie/Angelo

Mistified

I think the first thing we need to determine is whether the failure of the Charlie/Angelo relationship is due to poor writing, poor acting or a little bit of both. Personally I think it's a little bit of both. The storyline they are trying to run right now is pretty intense and at least to me the necessary drama needed to pull this off isn't coming across to me onscreen. It just seems like this never ending saga which sort of has always given soap operas a bad rap.

The Charlie/Angelo relationship just seems to drag on and on. At some point I think it's fair to ask the question as to whether or not Esther and Luke were ready to tackle such an intense storyline with the rather limited acting experience they have between them. I'm not trying to put either of them down as I consider myself a huge fan of Esther and she has proven in the past that she can handle the dramatic scenes. But for some reason this isn't working and it isn't translating to the vast majority of these forums as an entertaining storyline.

Which brings me back to the writing. I think in a lot of ways when it comes to this whole "Bay of Love" thing, the writing has been very much by the numbers based upon a lot of retreading. The show is in desperate need of some new blood which

will hopefully be arriving sooner than later

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it's so much a case of this story being too big for them but too small. Esther has done so well during her time on H&A. Her acting during the Charlie/Joey storyline was superb. I was so enthralled. And she was amazing during the Charlie/Ruby storyline. She was really able to tug at the heartstrings. But this constant making and breaking up with Angelo is just so boring. It's a rehashed, poor story and I think it's far beneath what she is capable of. The writers need to ditch them as a couple and help them to create identities of their own. Ever since Angelo came back, he's been obsessed with Charlie. And Charlie has lost her personality over the course of the last year. And it's such a shame. There is so much more they could do with her. I just wish they would give her more of a chance to shine.

I might be repeating myself when I say this but then we're all doing a lot of that.

I think the problems with the Charlie Angelo storyline are with the writing. For me, and I concede it's just my view, too much has been "left out" and not explained. We've gone from Angelo "up a tree" and Charlie wanting nothing to do with him to a passionate rekindling of the relationship without the writers giving us any insight into how each character came to that point. We needed some idea of what happened in both Charlie and Angelo's life journeys that brought about that change.

We didn't see enough of the counselling to attribute the character growth to that. Nor did we see enough interraction with other characters in the show for us to understand any involvement they might have had.

The whole thing has just been too quick.

My other annoyance in all this is that the "left out" bits would have provided some really good dramatic material which would have added to our understanding of both characters and given scope for involving performances by both Esther and Luke.

Edited by john003au

Unfortunately the OS and the producers/writers seem to assume we are all obsessed with them, hence the over the top promos and the sneak peak of Charlie in her underwear. I mean is that really necessary :rolleyes: I wish they would realise that not everyone loves them because at the moment they seem hell bent on promoting them to the point of over exposure and that's never a good thing.

Their relationship is just another on again/off again one and they have been done to death. Charlie is so much better when her scenes don't involve Angelo. I don't understand why they are constantly rammed down our throats, it's irratiting. And i don't find Esther's acting all that convincing at the best of times.

Edited by KirstyEkua

I'm a fan of charlie and angelo. I'd like to see them in a proper relationship.

I agree, I think they are really good for each other and they have the basis for a really good long term relationship....and maybe more. Look at how happy they were the last time they were together!

Unfortunately the OS and the producers/writers seem to assume we are all obsessed with them, hence the over the top promos and the sneak peak of Charlie in her underwear. I mean is that really necessary :rolleyes: I wish they would realise that not everyone loves them because at the moment they seem hell bent on promoting them to the point of over exposure and that's never a good thing.

Their relationship is just another on again/off again one and they have been done to death. Charlie is so much better when her scenes don't involve Angelo. I don't understand why they are constantly rammed down our throats, it's irratiting. And i don't find Esther's acting all that convincing at the best of times.

I'm afraid i have to disagree, i believe that charlie and angelo were meant for each other, they make each other so happy! Look at how angelo helped charlie through the grant stuff-he was so protective, he listened to her and he was just there for her all the time. And he loves her, what more could she need? He can help her get over her committment problems, she knows he won't hurt her, it's more that she doesn't want to hurt him. I think it could all go right for them this time, i hope it does. If i had someone like angelo who absolutely adored me i certainly wouldn't give him up easily.

The thing is, is that Charlie and Angelo are OVEREXPOSED!! and it's really off putting that every scene they have is almost always gauranteed to either be with each other, or focused on them in a discussion with other people. It's like they don't have their own individual identities.

I'll put my hands up and admit I don't like Angelo, but I never have. Even before the whole Jack incident I couldn't stand his character from the very moment he stepped foot in Summer Bay, so obviously I'm not going to like him being with a character that I do like. Especially since their, at best, turbulant relationship, seems to bring out the worst in both of them.

Whenever I know there's going to be an episode with Charlie AND Angelo I don't bother watching it or I skip past their scenes because when their in it, it feels like one of those American sitcoms that only have two central characters like Will and Grace or Dharma and Greg, only difference is, these couplings actually had chemistry and a sense of humour. It's like nobody else in Summer Bay exists in their world when they're together.

Which is why Charlie and Ruby fans get annoyed. I mean look at it from this angle. Miles is father figure to Nicole and Romeo even though their not his own blood relatives. Irene is a mother figure to Ruby and pretty much everyone else even though she has no obligation to do so. Even Martha has an older sister type relationship with Xavier. But Charlie on the other hand only ever really seems to pay any notice to Ruby when she needs someone to vent to about Angelo or her issues etc. She doesn't treat her like her daughter, she treats her like she treats Leah or Rachel, more as a friend than anything else.

We've seen her maternal side come out, like when Ruby was rushed to hospital wih her diabetes, the way she acted after the hypo incident, the way she literally put her own career and freedom at risk to protect Ruby from her rapist father. We know it's there, but it feels like the only time we get to see it is in times of crisis. I mean does Ruby have to almost die whenever we want to see that side of Charlie?? It should be used more often. They've missed so many oportunities already to do this. When Ruby was caught in the diner fire, instead of checking on Ruby, Charlie jumped into bed with Angelo. When Geoff left town, Ruby was comforted by Irene and when Charlie did finally sit down with her, all they did was talk about her issues with Angelo.

So yeah I can see why people would be annoyed. I know I am at this stage, months into the new season. The writers need to find a far better balance than the servere lack of one they have now.

I would like to see some more charlie and ruby interactions, but you have to remember the age difference, it is very hard for charlie to be a maternal figure for ruby when they have grown up as sisters. I would also like to see more ruby and angelo scenes, we know that ruby is very fond of angelo and wants him and charlie to be together more than anything, but i would like to see the 3 of them living together and perhaps ruby calling charlie mum?? What do the rest of you think?

carywary-you are not cameronwelsh in disguise are you? if you are not you must be watching a different show to some of us-i dont get how anyone can reach the conclusions you are getting- you are mixing up your own wishes for how you want them to be with what we are actually seeing onscreen. they were so happy together last time you say? rolls around in much laughter! yeah so happy they split yet again and angelo has so little respect and trust for charlie he tried to befriend her counsellor and ended up stalking her! you are right -meant for each other lol!

When were they happy...?

First time round... they kept falling into bed because Charlie was messed up over Roman and Angelo was a mess too. I have to admit that had the whole Jack thing not happened, it could potentially have gone somewhere. I liked them then.

Second time round (predictable groan)... they fell into bed because Charlie was stressed about Ruby growing up and very lonely but they broke up when Angelo realised Charlie didn't trust him with anything important to her.

Third time round (biiiiiiiiiiiiiig yawn)... they didn't have time to be happy because of all the Ruby and Grant stuff and then she dumped him easily and immediately when she thought he'd cheatd. There's something about karma going on there but I will leave it alone.

Fourth time round (bigger yawn)... they didn't do or talk about anything but the Hugo case, Charlie nearly got killed and suffered nightmares, to which Angelo was just pleased that he was feeling great and then decided she had merely been anxious about him leaving. And then they broke up because she couldn't commit, move in and presumably see a future with him. Oh, and then he stalked her.

Fifth time round (falls asleep)... they've attempted to do some kind of romantic comedy thing, which is neither cute nor funny and for the love of all that is good in the world PLEASE MAKE IT STOP!

....................you are mixing up your own wishes for how you want them to be with what we are actually seeing onscreen. .............

Excuse me for just using this small piece of your post. It seems to me that you have just described most of us.