Charlie/Angelo

Mistified

I actually agree with much of what you say redranger but that doesnt mean it is right and we should just sit back and accept it does it? Here in the uk yes there are plenty of gay characters/stories in many shows but the shows still do actually get complaints (albeit a small number) -the difference is the shows tend to ignore a few complaints and are brave enough to follow through on what they want to do and do the right thing by representing all members of society. The more shows that do it the less of an issue it becomes. It seems in australia no show is willing to be brave enough to be the first,to lead(although im not quite sure i recognize the picture you paint of australia-i have seen plenty of aussie shows that have had gay people/gay kisses). It also has to be said that the ratings during the cj story were no different to the normal ratings-im not sure there was ever this mass opposition to it-more a very vocal minority,which gave the show an easy opt-out of australia'not being ready,too controversial for family show' etc You seem to be suggesting that we should be grateful for what we got-should we expect a slightly longer gay story,say 4 months, in 5 years time-is that progress? why shouldnt we complain,make a fuss about this?-nothing will ever change if we dont. In my opinion you are either brave enough to do it properly or dont bother-this little by little is pretty insulting-giving us characters who go gay for a week or a month,then its all forgotten and they are straight again-suck us in just to spit us out again.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There does seem to be a lot of Changelo hatred going around.The real hardcore haters seem to fall into two categories:People who are never going to forgive Angelo for accidentally killing their favourite character and people with unrealistic expectations about the storylines Charlie was given last year.I can understand their point of view but I don't really agree with them.

I think there are still a number of Changelo fans out there but they're probably too scared to post on BTTB after reading the last page.I think they've got a certain amount of potential, perhaps more than any other couple on the show with one of the best ones leaving soon, and I hope that they're written well in future.

I agree with you here. A lot of people hate Angelo because he killed Jack and because of the whole Joey/Charlie storyline. In my opinion i hated Jack so I was glad when he was killed off and i thought the Charlie/Joey storyline was so pointless, it didn't go anywhere and was really unrealistic. I think Angelo hasn't had the right storylines yet, and there is so much more to be done with the character. Really we have only seen him being "top cop" and i would like to see more different storylines.

I am certainly not scared to voice my opinion!!!! :P I love Charlie and Angelo together. They are so fresh and hopefully now their relationship will be more fun instead of turning into a boring married couple that keeps arguing (not mentioning any names!!!) I just hope now the writers give them interesting storylines. I believe they can be "the" couple of Home and Away.

I was a huge Jack fan, and just because I don't like Angelo doesn't mean that its all down to what he did.

I got over him killing Jack, it was an accident , BUT the way his character came across afterwards was totally unacceptable. I feel like I keep going over the same thing but people wont listen, so for the last time , I don't hate him for killing Jack , I hate him for a whole lot of reasons including his behaviour in the aftermath of Jack's shooting. He is idiotic, dull as dishwater and just plain stupid.

I think others do hate them because he just isn't Joey but that grudge is also to do with how H&A failed epicly with the Charlie/Joey storyline which spent more time being hyped up than being shown onscreen :rolleyes:

Sorry but whats so fresh about Changelo ? I couldn't think of a more unsuitable word to describe them! :blink:

and as for the "boring married couple" - I find their relationship refreshing because they aren't breaking up and reuniting every 5 minutes like every other couple in the show for the past couple of years. It just gets so so so old and boring. And besides the "boring couple" are 2 of the best actors on the show currently. Amy Mathews is in a league of her own , and actually so is Esther Anderson, sorry David Jones Roberts who plays Xavier is in the same league of her.

The thing is, is that Charlie and Angelo are OVEREXPOSED!! and it's really off putting that every scene they have is almost always gauranteed to either be with each other, or focused on them in a discussion with other people. It's like they don't have their own individual identities.

I'll put my hands up and admit I don't like Angelo, but I never have. Even before the whole Jack incident I couldn't stand his character from the very moment he stepped foot in Summer Bay, so obviously I'm not going to like him being with a character that I do like. Especially since their, at best, turbulant relationship, seems to bring out the worst in both of them.

Whenever I know there's going to be an episode with Charlie AND Angelo I don't bother watching it or I skip past their scenes because when their in it, it feels like one of those American sitcoms that only have two central characters like Will and Grace or Dharma and Greg, only difference is, these couplings actually had chemistry and a sense of humour. It's like nobody else in Summer Bay exists in their world when they're together.

Which is why Charlie and Ruby fans get annoyed. I mean look at it from this angle. Miles is father figure to Nicole and Romeo even though their not his own blood relatives. Irene is a mother figure to Ruby and pretty much everyone else even though she has no obligation to do so. Even Martha has an older sister type relationship with Xavier. But Charlie on the other hand only ever really seems to pay any notice to Ruby when she needs someone to vent to about Angelo or her issues etc. She doesn't treat her like her daughter, she treats her like she treats Leah or Rachel, more as a friend than anything else.

We've seen her maternal side come out, like when Ruby was rushed to hospital wih her diabetes, the way she acted after the hypo incident, the way she literally put her own career and freedom at risk to protect Ruby from her rapist father. We know it's there, but it feels like the only time we get to see it is in times of crisis. I mean does Ruby have to almost die whenever we want to see that side of Charlie?? It should be used more often. They've missed so many oportunities already to do this. When Ruby was caught in the diner fire, instead of checking on Ruby, Charlie jumped into bed with Angelo. When Geoff left town, Ruby was comforted by Irene and when Charlie did finally sit down with her, all they did was talk about her issues with Angelo.

So yeah I can see why people would be annoyed. I know I am at this stage, months into the new season. The writers need to find a far better balance than the servere lack of one they have now.

Edited by lollypop

I thought it was very a positive thing to show Charlie seeing a counsellor about her relationship issues after she and Angelo broke up. Charlie has been going around in circles where relationships are concerned, since she came into the show. Not just with men, but Joey too obviously and also Ruby, and her initial reaction to Morag. She has always been like a square peg in a round hole, not really fitting in properly, or knowing a consistent way to behave. Now, she has actually fallen for somebody, and it has happened over the 2 and a half years she has known Angelo. She has built up a relationship with someone from the ground up. They have both seen each other through their darkest times. She has developed feelings which are unfamilar, but she knows that they are good and she doesn't want to continue on her path of self-destruction. They way she feels with Angelo makes her happy. She went to Michael because she knew that feeling was good and she wanted to work out a way to keep it, to not continue to wreck things.

This week when she say the new counsellor was just for reassurance, I think. She has come so far. She has never stopped loving Angelo, but that love in itself made her nervous as it was unfamiliar territory. The new lady counsellor's chat with her gave her the final encouragement to seize her happiness.

I think it's been a marvellous journey for Charlie, and a marvellous exploration of human beings and human relationships, and I applaude H&A for that.

Edited by Mistified

The thing is...I don't think Charlie does 'love' Angelo. I think she cares for him and loves him like she loves her coffee first thing in the morning. But whenver I look at her with Angelo when he's being all soppy and professing his "undying love" for her, all I see from Charlie is a question mark where her ture feelings should be.

And all this second guessing and hesitation on her part, it makes me wonder, is she just pushing herself to be with him because she knows he won't leave her because he loves her and she's afraid of ending up alone.

Because lets face it, she didn't seem too broken up when they were apart. Compared to Angelo, who was so jealous of the idea she was seeing another man, he climbed a tree to spy on her.

If I'm being completely honest, yeah I see this relationship carrying on for another few months, maybe more if they remain the way the are as in just work collegues. But I can't see them living together, or settling down and having the big white Summer Bay wedding. They don't possess that quality that Jack and Martha, Haley and Noah or even Alf and Ailsa, that they were meant to be together.

I have a feeling that somewhere down the line something else is going to freak Charlie out, like a proposal or the idea having more kids, and Angelo is going to be the one who ends up hurt and moping around feeling sorry for himself like he did last time.

I'm sorry but I do feel that this is a very one sided relationship.............and it's all coming from Angelo.

The thing is...I don't think Charlie does 'love' Angelo. I think she cares for him and loves him like she loves her coffee first thing in the morning. But whenver I look at her with Angelo when he's being all soppy and professing his "undying love" for her, all I see from Charlie is a question mark where her ture feelings should be.

And all this second guessing and hesitation on her part, it makes me wonder, is she just pushing herself to be with him because she knows he won't leave her because he loves her and she's afraid of ending up alone.

Because lets face it, she didn't seem too broken up when they were apart. Compared to Angelo, who was so jealous of the idea she was seeing another man, he climbed a tree to spy on her.

If I'm being completely honest, yeah I see this relationship carrying on for another few months, maybe more if they remain the way the are as in just work collegues. But I can't see them living together, or settling down and having the big white Summer Bay wedding. They don't possess that quality that Jack and Martha, Haley and Noah or even Alf and Ailsa, that they were meant to be together.

I have a feeling that somewhere down the line something else is going to freak Charlie out, like a proposal or the idea having more kids, and Angelo is going to be the one who ends up hurt and moping around feeling sorry for himself like he did last time.

I'm sorry but I do feel that this is a very one sided relationship.............and it's all coming from Angelo.

But that is exactly the point. Charlie has no idea how to react to these feelings she has. She doesn't know that she's in love with him, she can't face up to it. Her going to counselling was a major step in the right direction for her.

Surely if she does like you say, and freak out again, then the recent break up, followed by the counselling, will have served no purpose. This show has always been about healing and reconciliation. That is the example they are setting for people in Charlie's position - people who struggle with human relations can get help and learn to have more fulfilling relationships. It's a very positive message, one which I doubt the show would throw away by having her revert to type having come so far.

But that is exactly the point. Charlie has no idea how to react to these feelings she has. She doesn't know that she's in love with him, she can't face up to it. Her going to counselling was a major step in the right direction for her.

Surely if she does like you say, and freak out again, then the recent break up, followed by the counselling, will have served no purpose. This show has always been about healing and reconciliation. That is the example they are setting for people in Charlie's position - people who struggle with human relations can get help and learn to have more fulfilling relationships. It's a very positive message, one which I doubt the show would throw away by having her revert to type having come so far.

But again, I have to disagree. It's not that Charlie doesn't know how to react to her feelings, she's just afraid of the commitment part of being in a relationship. I mean when she was with Roman she knew how she felt. When she was with Joey she knew her true feelings, but she couldn't deal with the stigma in society that comes with being gay. She's not scared of how she feels, she knows how she feels, she's scared that her issues will ruin any chance she has of being happy in any relationship.

If Charlie really truly loves Angelo, it wouldn't be this difficult for her to figure out her feelings. But she's hesitated so much lately, and she's spent so much time pondering it that it does make you wonder, if she really is being honest with herself. It's easy to get with a man who makes you happy, I mean any man can make you happy and you can have a good time. But to be with a man that makes you happy when you don't really know if you actually are in love with him and have had issues with trust in the past is stupid.

The counselling session Charlie had, it was ridiculous. It wasn't helping Charlie make a realisation, it was giving her two options to pick from, be alone or be with Angelo. And for a lot of women in Charlie's position who are in fact afraid of being alone because of their inability to commit fully to a relationship, the decision was easy. Pick being with the man. And that's exacctly what Charlie did. Because I can bet she wondered if I ditch Angelo will I ever find a man who will put up with my issues. So in that sense it was probably safer to stay with him instead of never being able to find another suitable partner.

And with regard your last point, I don't think Home and Away will hold onto this storyline, more than likely it will be foregotten about and Charlie's issues will magically disappeared. They already done a terrible job of resolving storylines. I mean Aden just up and left, as did Geoff. They still haven't really come full circle with the Charlie and Ruby storyline. Ruby's diabetes seems to have disappeard as well and Tony and Rachel just seem to futtering around. We're only seeing them now because of the the Hugo storyline.

Have you seen the new previews on the official site? Is Charlie now moving too fast for Angelo? This is actually laughable.

I watched it with the sound down so missed that bit. It's probably just Charlie's messed up knee-jerk reaction thinking that she has to make up to Angelo for lost time. The poor girl really needs to learn some balance, but I'm hopeful that will come. She's new to proper normal relationships so she's still finding her way I guess.

I really wish that the show would stop torturing us with Charlie and Angelo. Charlie was so much more interesting to watch before they got together again last year and each time they have broken up since. She is such a strong character but everything gets lost when she's with him. The Charlie and Ruby dynamic used to be wonderful and now it is non-existent and that isn't because of the mother/daughter storyline.

The chemistry just isn't there, Angelo doesn't treat Charlie nicely at all and all this silly romantic comedy type stuff that they're trying to force on us now just doesn't work.

They would both be much more watchable if they broke up for good. I don't know what they'd do with Angelo but Charlie is such a great character. I feel like they are ruining her at the moment and it's so sad. They could develop the relationship with Ruby again, they could explore her bisexuality, they could focus more on her work, bring Ross back... anything but this constant Charlie/Angelo mess.