1994 Episode Discussion

Dan F

6 hours ago, Natasha said:

So Donna will be a regular character? I don't remember her at all! She's not very likeable atm, with sticking her nose in the Ross's affairs just because she's a school counselor.

She lasts less than a year, but yep, she's "permanent".

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really addicted to the current Early Years now. I was able to save the episodes up and watch them all at the weekend but now I look forward to watching every day.

Really like the relationship between Jack and Pippa, in fact the relationship she has with all of the current kids in Summer Bay House is really enjoyable to watch because they each have distinct personalities and baggage (Pippa included). It's interesting to watch them all interacting in their different ways and how they're responding to living in this new environment. The fostering element, warts and all, is really focused on with this bunch and I love that.

Shane and Angel have now officially become 'Shane and Angel' (does anyone else think they both suddenly seem about ten years older since leaving school?). So cool to watch this era again, it really is 'golden' and I don't think that's because I'm getting swept up in the nostalgia, I genuinely think the show has reached a very sweet spot.

I love the early years because they actually celebrate and acknowledge Christmas. These days they don't. I love it how Shannon became excited when Selina and Curtis surprised her with the whole works that she missed. 

I thought Pippa was a bit selfish when she got annoyed when the kids said yes to dinner with Michael. I mean Michael is allowed to see them and they shouldn't feel guilty about doing so. But I do ask where was Damien & Sam. I mean suddenly Sally was back in the show. There was no mention of them not being at the dinner either. 

So nice of what Rob did for Roxy. I'm glad Ailsa said what she said to her. 

2 hours ago, Old H&A Fan said:

Who's Susan Bower and what did she do to Neighbours?

Writer turned Exec Producer whose results didn't really work so well. She inherited the show from Ric Pellizerri who had been doing a decent job until then (2003-07 was Neighbours 3rd Golden age). The only thing she really got right was Who Pushed Paul Robinson? (though Red may disagree).

Talking of producers, Anyone notice a bit of tonal shift now since John Holmes took back the reigns from Andrew Howie towards the tailend of '94? The comedy's still there but lessened a bit. Guess it's the Roxy Cancer stuff and The Ross separation.

I always liked the Jack/Pippa dynamic.

41 minutes ago, CaptainHulk said:

I always liked the Jack/Pippa dynamic.

Yeah and it's very consistent right the way through.

I definitely think there has been a deliberate tonal shift. Like you said, less comedy and it's a lot more emotional. Even the more 'every day' sort of dilemmas seem to result in poignant conversations or an emotional hug, but it feels uplifting and positive.

3 hours ago, alexx said:

Really addicted to the current Early Years now. I was able to save the episodes up and watch them all at the weekend but now I look forward to watching every day.

I'm up to date and watching them daily for the first time since 1991.

You're right about there being more poignant moments and I agree that Jack and Pippa have a lovely relationship, I thought it was really sweet when they were sitting on the sofa and he said he knows he's hard work sometimes but really wants to stay. 

Archived