1994 Episode Discussion

Dan F

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Dan F unpinned this topic

So, I finally made it through the last three weeks of 1994.My first random thought was that Selina's got a really nice dressing gown that doesn't really seem to suit her character at all. (Isn't it the one Pippa used to wear?)That said, that teen group really seemed to hit their stride during these last few weeks.I've commented in the past on the lack of memorable relationships among them but watching them I'm realising than in a sense it doesn't need to be about who's dating who (although there's obviously been a bit of that and will be again), because the friendships between Jack, Curtis, Shannon and Selina are just utterly believable.After a dodgy start, I'm actually rather liking Shannon, who might be a bit quiet but Isla's making the best of the little she's given (her silent distress at Michael moving out and feeling down at the first Christmas without her mother were believable characterisation), and we know there's a lot of dramatic stuff coming up for her over the next three years.

On the other hand, we have the arrival of Donna, who's a bit bland and I don't think gets any better.She's not even interesting enough to cause tension between Rob and Roxy for more than about half an episode.Still, she is likable, to the point that I found myself frustrated at one of the earliest cases of Irene taking a dislike to the new girl for no real reason.

Oh, Sally.I find her endearing when she's being sweet to people or teasing her siblings, but her tantrums are wearing already and it's only 1994.I'm glad she apologised to Michael because otherwise I'd have had a hard time feeling any sympathy for her but she doesn't half miss the point.First Pippa goes away so Michael can rebuild things with the kids and Sally spends what seemed like a week being a brat towards him and denouncing anyone that's nice to him as a traitor to Pippa.Then Michael moves out at least partly so they can have a relaxed Christmas without him and Sally goes out of her way to make it as unpleasant as possible instead of making the best of things like everyone else.I get that she's invested in this family and seeing it fall apart must be traumatic for her but she was in the wrong there.Similarly, I found Jack throwing a tantrum at Mrs.James for doing her job, and in a sensitive and sympathetic way at that, irritating rather than endearing, although I do like his growing bond with both foster parents.

Shane and Angel seem to be approaching an even keel when Ros isn't around.I don't know if Ros means well or not but Angel really needs to stop being so affected by her pessimism and parroting it to Shane.They've both got a point and they've both got faults.And wow, a mention of Frankie!She still exists at this point then...

Okay, so they must be doing it on purpose now and if they're not then it's deeply spooky.Damian talks about meeting a girl at Shane and Angel's wedding...and Selina promptly calls out to him.Then Shannon describes something as anorexic and we're in Funny Aneurysm Moment territory...

Dorking out for a minute; The Top 5 appearance rankings for the Year

1. Angel Brooks (Melissa George) - 166 Episodes

2. Shane Parrish (Dieter Brumer) - 162 Episodes

3. Alf Stewart (Ray Meagher) - 157 Episodes

4. Damian Roberts (Matt Doran) - 155 Episodes

5. Donald Fisher (Norman Coburn)  & Michael Ross (Dennis Coard) - 140 Episodes

Numbers based on IMDB stats I've busted my butt to keep fairly accurate, taking away the credits for non appearences.

• 9 months later...

Archived