1991 Episode Discussion

Guest Ryan

Back to 1991 episodes. I thought Jean was so nasty to Sam and Bobby.

However I think Maggie might have not thought too much of the character due to the face that Jean reminds me of 'the freak' the whole time. Typecast maybe?

Episode 770 defines the whole of 1991 for me because of Karen and Revhead and this has

Consequences for the 1992 and 1993 seasons as well

• Replies 713
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jean is a nasty piece of work and after a couple of episodes of being guilty of nothing more than being a bit frosty, she finally showed her true colours by breaking the vase and blaming Sam, then later pretending that Bobby had brought her to tears when Marilyn walked in. Oh, and the "bad back" :D

VERY interesting to see the start of the Karen/Revhead storyline. Revhead is likeable despite his previous behaviour (was it the same actor in 1989 when he was hassling Roo?). I like that they are not making him a 2-dimensional lout. Michael has said he is a hard worker, and he was shown giving some advice/directions to a family at the beach before Karen came along. He is capable of being a good guy with the right guidance.

I liked the Stewart family outing. Good fun and a rare chance to see all the Stewart family together (but once again a recurring theme over the next few years - WHERE IS DUNCAN?!)

My favourite episode of the week was the swimming competition. A great feel-good episode. It would have been too unrealistic if Haydn had performed a perfect dive. I like that he still belly-flopped but won anyway. Donald's reaction was awesome!

My least favourite was the new Ross-house ironing out the creases in their new dynamic. I should have liked it, I usually like that kind of story in H&A. It just seemed a bit sloppy and to be honest, *yawn* at Haydn/Sophie. I guess the writers are breaking them up because

David Croft is due to come along soon?

. But to be honest I never really noticed any chemistry between them, in fact I forgot they were dating half the time (much like Adam and Emma). It was silly breaking up Blake and Sophie for that.

.......*yawn* at Haydn/Sophie. I guess the writers are breaking them up because

. But to be honest I never really noticed any chemistry between them, in fact I forgot they were dating half the time (much like Adam and Emma). It was silly breaking up Blake and Sophie for that.

That low-down, filthy, disgusting ****EN **** makes Sophie pregnant, after Sophie totally ignores Pippa's orders to stop seeing him because he is damn well too old for her!!!

Be prepared for some brick-through-the-television moments as we endure some revolting scenes of

Sophie feeling sorry for herself, with Grant coming back to hold her hand,

I've seen the YouTube clips (ARRRRGH MAKES ME SICK!!! :angry: :angry: ) because that low-down bastard is

wiped out by Karen and Revhead

(not that I like Revhead also getting his grubby hands all over Karen).

Jean is a nasty piece of work and after a couple of episodes of being guilty of nothing more than being a bit frosty, she finally showed her true colours by breaking the vase and blaming Sam, then later pretending that Bobby had brought her to tears when Marilyn walked in. Oh, and the "bad back" :D

VERY interesting to see the start of the Karen/Revhead storyline. Revhead is likeable despite his previous behaviour (was it the same actor in 1989 when he was hassling Roo?). I like that they are not making him a 2-dimensional lout. Michael has said he is a hard worker, and he was shown giving some advice/directions to a family at the beach before Karen came along. He is capable of being a good guy with the right guidance.

I liked the Stewart family outing. Good fun and a rare chance to see all the Stewart family together (but once again a recurring theme over the next few years - WHERE IS DUNCAN?!)

My favourite episode of the week was the swimming competition. A great feel-good episode. It would have been too unrealistic if Haydn had performed a perfect dive. I like that he still belly-flopped but won anyway. Donald's reaction was awesome!

My least favourite was the new Ross-house ironing out the creases in their new dynamic. I should have liked it, I usually like that kind of story in H&A. It just seemed a bit sloppy and to be honest, *yawn* at Haydn/Sophie. I guess the writers are breaking them up because

I agree with pretty much all of that. To be fair re. Duncan, Ailsa did organise for Pippa to look after him for the night, so at least he wasn't completely ignored, even if we didn't actually see him.

Jean really is horrible. I'm glad it's bringing out the fiery side of Bobby. It's interesting to watch a 'mature' woman treating Sam that way, acting worse than a child herself.

Like I said last time, I'm really enjoying the 'feel' of the show at the moment. Also does anyone else think it actually looks a lot hotter and sunnier than the current show? I think it's the camera's they have been using over the last 8 or so months.

I like Revhead, like you say he has layers and it makes him far more interesting and engaging to follow. Karen has become an 'adult' so fast, it's hard to even see her as the same kid who was shy and awkward a few months ago. I wonder if the writers were inspired by Belinda Jarrett and decided to make some changes to Karen's personality - she's certainly become more confident and a unafraid of telling people how she see's it.

I was surprised and disappointed that Pippa didn't mention Carly at all. I didn't mind the 'settling into family life' storyline, but I did think Sally and Sophie were being OTT just because Michael said he couldn't fix the hair dyer when they wanted him to. I can see why Sally was insecure about the dinner (even if I did think she was jumping to the wrong conclusions too fast), she is quite a fragile character when it comes to belonging and feeling loved/wanted - a theme that runs pretty much her entire stint in the show.

Hang on I remember a scene where

troublesome Tracy makes Karen put a packet of cigarettes in Sophie's school bag.

Karen is obviously

on her way out

now that she's seeing Revhead, so this must mean

Tracy is arriving soon.

Episode 785

, I believe.Although I think certain other events are a surprisingly long way off, it's another 70 episodes until

Karen leaves

I did find Sally and Sophie's constant bleating that Michael isn't as good as Tom somewhat wearing(especially since Sophie can't have lived with Tom for more than a couple of months).Given that the attitude seemed to be shared by a lot of long-term fans, I wonder if it was mirroring the off screen view of the time.Sally's observation that thinks would be like when Tom was around now that Michael was there seemed slightly out of character and a bit disrespectful to both men to regard them as somehow interchangeable.I do actually rather like Sophie and Haydn as a couple although we know from the history that it doesn't last.Having seen up to 770, I don't think they've quite broken up yet but it seems to be heading that way.

Jean's an odd one, starting off as merely a bit selfish and unpleasant, she seemed to go into full on villain mode when she schemed to get Bobby and Sam out of the house.But given that that didn't really work, she seems to be back to being a minor nuisance who's merely taking advantage of Marilyn's good nature.

As others have said, it's interesting to see the portrayal of Revhead, who seems to be simultaneously more sympathetic and more dangerous than in the past.His implied attempted gang rape of Roo aside, the Revhead of the '80s was basically a joke who lost every fight he ever had despite having the numerical advantage and got outsmarted by Lance and Martin.The actor seems to have bulked out a bit and lost the rather jarring pretty boy looks.And he's obviously still got an unpleasant side, as we saw with his attempts to frame Nick.But there's also a likeable side to him as well so you can understand why Karen doesn't just telll him to get lost(even though she did kind of do that).Given that this looks like it's going to be a rather slow burn storyline, I'm wondering how certain forthcoming events are going to affect his development...

Oops, 7TWO stuffed-up today's Home and Away. About two minutes in they played a couple of ads, then went back to the opening titles and started the episode again. Everything was going fine the second time, except then they played the first ad break too early, cutting off some of the show :rolleyes: .

Archived