1991 Episode Discussion

Guest Ryan

^I agree, and I didn't like the music used in her final scene and she said a tearful farewell to Ben. It was very bitter and "doomsday"ish. Like Carly knew her future was going to be an unhappy one and one she didn't really want. It really felt like it was supposed to be a horrible ending for Carly. I know it wasn't, but it came across that way in both the writing and the music.

I really don't understand why she never got a proper farewell scene with Pippa, Sally, Bobby and any others. Maybe she did and it was cut? I doubt we'll ever know. The only other explanation I can think of is that after Stevo got a proper send-off, they didn't want to draw attention to the fact that another one of the originals was leaving and the show was changing evermore into something new, and so "swept it under the carpet" so to speak. But that's more something the Home and Away of the 21st century is guilty of and not something I'm sure I believe they would do back then.

I agree. I've just watched the episode. The music choice is really jarring and indicates a tragedy of some sort. I wonder why they chose to give that impression. Sally asked why Carly was crying and she said she couldn't be happier with her life, but the music made it sound like she didn't mean it. :blink:

Whilst I've enjoyed the Pippa/Carly moments leading up to her departure, I'm disappointed that she didn't get a well deserved farewell scene - she deserved a big 'wave off'. It really feels like the end of an era with Carly gone and it's gone so fast, I remember back then it felt like she had been in the show for such a long time to me.

Enjoyable episodes leading up to the wedding and the wedding day itself, I haven't seen beyond that yet.

• Replies 713
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^Yeah - it looks like it. The episode after Pippa and Michael's wedding, so 758 - appears to be their last episode. It feels to me like it should be the episode before their last episode. So they sort their problems out in 758 and then in their next episode on screen everything is wrapped up and they both say their goodbyes - or as mentioned a few posts back, Carly sticks around until Pippa and Michael return and then she leaves.

The Freak has joined Home And Away, as Marilyn's aunty Joan. No wonder Marilyn is so fairy floss while underneath that fairy beauty exterior lies a dark upbringing at the hands of a freaky church fundamentalist who brainwashed her into believing in strict abstinence outside of marriage.

I've often wondered why they sometimes pretend that when a actor plays two distinct and really unrelated roles that are no importance to the overreacing continuity of the show, that they might actually be the same person.

To look at something recent. The actress that played Kim Mitchell has made a recent appearance in 2012 as a character, who it appears who she is of no relevance. Why could she not play Kim Mitchell, drug addict of 1989, now reformed with a career.

That's always bugged me too, especially when for example you have actors playing the same type of role, like with Kim Knuckey who played Detective Hunt in the Early Years before returning in 2003 as McGrath.

Sadly it'll just be the case of impracticalities - the scripts are written months in advance with no idea who's going to play this random guest, casting eventually brings up a certain actor who may have been in the show before, but unless the actor mentions it, "Oh I played a policeman years ago", then I don't imagine TPTB would have any clue either way with the thousands that come through the door (they don't keep records like we do!). If the actor did happen to mention it, then it would have to be a guest that they hadn't written any form of backstory for - then it's a case of having to change the name in any existing scripts, something which may be more complicated if they have a lot of interactions and mentions and possibly not worth the bother.

But yes, still think there's plenty of continuity opportunities to be had with old guest characters if they put their minds to it. "Right we need a real estate agent", first page of search results on BTTB brings up 4 different actors from over the years, "Casting company, see if these people are still around and give them first refusal". Then again, not that practical either for such minor characters, but we can dream when it comes to others :P

That's always bugged me too, especially when for example you have actors playing the same type of role, like with Kim Knuckey who played Detective Hunt in the Early Years before returning in 2003 as McGrath.

You just made me think of another one. Remember a homeless con woman (I forget her name) who was Ailsa's cleaner? She played on Ailsa's soft nature and took advantage of her to steal money? She came back later in the 90s once again as a homeless woman who pretended to be Peta's gran. She could easily have been the same character and it was only when she eventually shared a scene with Ailsa (who failed to recognise her) it became obvious she wasn't meant to be the same woman.

On the flip side, when Dodge returned, it wasn't immediately clear whether he was actually Dodge or some sinister new character hanging malevolently around the caravan park who just happened to be played by the same actor as Dodge. It wasn't until Pippa recognised him that it was confirmed.

The Freak has joined Home And Away, as Marilyn's aunty Joan. No wonder Marilyn is so fairy floss while underneath that fairy beauty exterior lies a dark upbringing at the hands of a freaky church fundamentalist who brainwashed her into believing in strict abstinence outside of marriage.

What's interesting is that Marilyn seems to be blind to Jean's slightly skewed nature. I like Jean because she's not out and out bad, she's just... not quite as nice as she should be. There's a hint of something horrible lurking beneath the surface there

which finally comes out in Jean's final scene

. Other characters, notably Bobby, can see it. But Marilyn thinks she's nice as pie. I think despite the strict upbringing, Jean did provide a very good home life for Marilyn and for that reason she is blind to her flaws.

Archived